• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone travelled abroad with a dog?

Greyscale

Share with your experience please. How hard is to get a pet passport and all that other stuff for travelling pets? And how much does it cost to get the passport?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have not personally travelled with a dog, but I have looked in to it. A lot of it comes down to proper veterinary paperwork, and some places want quarantine periods (Japan for instance has a 6 month quarantine period, in country).

Good luck!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Share with your experience please. How hard is to get a pet passport and all that other stuff for travelling pets? And how much does it cost to get the passport?

Not a dog but 2 cats, had to be chipped (they were anyway) and injections up to date (again they were). They had to have booster shots. The whole lot cost just under £100 each back in 2015. Will be a bit more now, maybe £120/130.

Travel? I dont know, we brought the cats by car (which was quite traumatic for both cats and us) but better than the alternative of sticking them in a crate for 2 days, travelling in the hold of a plane and then the hassle to get them through airport security.

Sensor

My friends travelled abroad with their dog and that's possible, and not so extremely difficult as it can seem. On the other hand you'll need to make many things while preparing to your trip and yeah, like it was mentioned in other replies really much vet's paperwork will wait for you.
One of main factors is belonging of your country destination to rabies-free or rabies-controlled ones, this will have a huge influence on complexity of getting past customs for your dog. Other important things are getting your dog vaccinated and microchipped, making a pet passport or a veterinary health certificate, and of course checking the local quarantine rules.

irena

I have a dog. It's chipped. That's her passport. There are also documents from the club. The price of documents is not small. It depends on the type of documents. Also, if you have an avia flight you need to take into account that if the flight before you will be registered cat, your dog may not take on board

Last edited:
I flew to Austria and Italy with my dog. The previous owner was involved in the paperwork for the dog. I was buying a puppy with documents. At the price will not say how much it will cost to issue such documents from scratch. In the spring we were at the vet for microchipping. It's not dangerous for a dog. But the chip is even calmer.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I had a friend who went to Germany with her dog some years ago and said she'd never do it again. Far too much of a hassle (I don't recall the details). The last two times she went abroad she checked out kennels and boarded the dog, and had a far better time.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I had a friend who went to Germany with her dog some years ago and said she'd never do it again. Far too much of a hassle (I don't recall the details). The last two times she went abroad she checked out kennels and boarded the dog, and had a far better time.

irena

For animals traveling is stressful. You need to understand this when organizing trips. After all, the situation with moving or flying is not used to a pet. And how the pet will behave is not known. You may even be prepared for your dog to escape

I traveled to 7 countries with my rescued dog and very proud to share our accomplishments :) Only once did we got lost and QR pet tag saved us big time as it works worldwide. a nice lady from Venice scanned the QR code on the back of his tag and send me a message to my pet's profile and I also got the GPS location of the scanning place here is the link, check it out Store I think this sort of technology is a must while traveling

ginaGH

There is nothing complicated here. In order for your pet to calmly tolerate transportation, behave well and not panic, it is important to accustom him to travel from childhood. Try to “roll” the animal more often in the car or, in its absence, in public transport. As for the long transportation, these movements require careful attention to your dog, so in such situations a dog cage often helps me out (you can see dog cages here The 8 Best-Rated Small & Large Dog Crates of 2020 | Pet On Bed) In my opinion, a dog cage is a great tool for improving the quality of life of a pet and the owner himself. The movement of the animal in it is safe and comfortable. For other purposes, it will serve as a spacious house for the dog, or as a place to care for newborn puppies.