• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone read this book?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Interested to know if there are actually any new arguments or it is a repeat of already debunked arguments. Don't want to spend money just to read the same old arguments.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8C95W7
No, but the kindle edition is currently free. The current Amazon reviews accuse Liberal Democrats of trying to impeach Donald Trump, so I guess its partly factual? The reviews are pretty bad in terms of its science claims. Apparently its just trying to claim what the title says.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'd tend to go with the comments. Seems like an embittered idiot to me. Mind you, I am a bit averse to the right-wing by nature - so I might not be entirely rational. :D

And I suspect the decline in religiosity in the USA will follow that of Europe - because they will just come to their senses.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I did not read the book, but the author's description left me thinking it was hate literature. Of course, we live in an age when gratuitous hatred is our entertainment of choice. So there's that. If you get your thrills by hating people, it's most likely a book you will enjoy.

Bob the Unbeliever

Interested to know if there are actually any new arguments or it is a repeat of already debunked arguments. Don't want to spend money just to read the same old arguments.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8C95W7

Edit: I just read the reviews on Amazon....the book is a dog. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

Oh! I was just going to point to the reviews on Amazon-- and I just spotted your Edit.

Good catch-- I use negative reviews all the time, to determine what could go wrong with a product, or book.

I seldom look at the 5 star ones-- if I'm looking at the item already? I'm maybe half way sold-- I want to see what could go wrong. :)

Bob the Unbeliever

I'd tend to go with the comments. Seems like an embittered idiot to me. Mind you, I am a bit averse to the right-wing by nature - so I might not be entirely rational. :D

And I suspect the decline in religiosity in the USA will follow that of Europe - because they will just come to their senses.

My friend-- do you not think it entirely rational to be adverse to people who literally want to take away all your basic constitutional given rights? Who think it a good thing to starve needy children? Who think that minimum wage is some kind of Communist Plot? And would pay zero dollars an hour, if they could get away with it? Who literally thought giving guns to Kindergarten Teachers was a good thing? Who would literally want to force 12 year old rape victims to carry to term a fetus, even if that killed her? Who think that "rape" is just Overblown Feminism, and not real? Who literally called NAZIs "some very fine people"?

No.... being adverse to such people... is very rational. ;)

Terry Sampson

Edit: I just read the reviews on Amazon....the book is a dog. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

I haven't read the book, ... in part or whole. Nor did I read the reviews. But I did click on the author's name and saw this: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-text&rh=p_27:Stephen+Hawley+Martin&s=relevancerank&text=Stephen+Hawley+Martin&ref=dp_byline_sr_ebooks_1 and then I googled his name and got this:
Hawley Martin name returns to local ad world

That's when I decided that the book you're interested in is just "sales bait pap". Walk away. I did.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I do tend to read the reviews for any books I might want to read, but I do also try to look around rather than just take them from Amazon - even if this is the main source for my books. I've often looked at a few pages in books that are seemingly pro-religion (in bookshops for example), and they usually don't entice me further since many seem to take as implicit their base and just blunder on from there. One of the few I have trouble with is Gray, an avowed atheist who seemingly has more sympathy for the religious than his own breathren. Damn him! :D

Milton Platt

I haven't read the book, ... in part or whole. Nor did I read the reviews. But I did click on the author's name and saw this: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-text&rh=p_27:Stephen+Hawley+Martin&s=relevancerank&text=Stephen+Hawley+Martin&ref=dp_byline_sr_ebooks_1 and then I googled his name and got this:
Hawley Martin name returns to local ad world

That's when I decided that the book you're interested in is just "sales bait pap". Walk away. I did.

Yes, I did walk away. I read a blurb on a website and was hoping for a new argument or two instead of the same straw men, fallacious arguments, etc. Guess I am overly optimistic sometimes.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
My friend-- do you not think it entirely rational to be adverse to people who literally want to take away all your basic constitutional given rights? Who think it a good thing to starve needy children? Who think that minimum wage is some kind of Communist Plot? And would pay zero dollars an hour, if they could get away with it? Who literally thought giving guns to Kindergarten Teachers was a good thing? Who would literally want to force 12 year old rape victims to carry to term a fetus, even if that killed her? Who think that "rape" is just Overblown Feminism, and not real? Who literally called NAZIs "some very fine people"?

No.... being adverse to such people... is very rational. ;)

I've always consoled myself with the old saying - one is often judged by the company one keeps - and I've always felt perfectly at home with those seemingly having similar views to myself. And these views have hardly changed since I was young, even though we should all apparently be wiser and more right-wing in our old age. :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yeah, I read the reviews after making the OP. I was overly optimistic from reading an article about it that it might have something more than the usual fallacious arguments and straw men.

We have a guy lives near us who gets paid for writing such articles. Written to put the book in the best possible light to sell copy. He works on a commission basis.

I would never take such an article at face value.