• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone ever had visions/encounters/experiences of Hindu Gods?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I had a dream once a long time ago where I was facing to framed pictures. One was Lord Ganesh and the other was MaLakshmi. I was stanifn up to my ankles in cow manure looking at the pictures. Not quite sure if it meant anything. I felt pretty neutral about the experience.

Jumi

What happened in this dream?
I still remember it after two decades. Kali in that dream was showing me people sleepwalking through life. I took it as a suggestion to be more aware and awake. I'm not Hindu and didn't know much about Kali so excuse my post in DIR. :)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram terese ji

when l was young (l am not sure when it started , seems like it was a feeling that was allways with me) l used sometimes to dream of leaving this body and becoming absorbed in the enormity of infinate space , it was a strangely comforting dream in which l did not feel alone , it was a dream that l did not want to leave, ....l wanted to go deeper in to it , it was the most amazing thing , ....l didnt realy understand it but also didnt need to , ....l had got to the point where l could just go there in wakefullness and sometimes in sleep , ......it was only many years later that l began to understand what it was or what it might be , ...l remember being told the story of Mother Yashoda and the day she opened Krsnas mouth because she saw the young child Krsna eating dirt , of course she tried to open his mouth to remove the mud he had eaten and upon opening his mouth she was shocked to see the entire universe swirling arround inside the young boy , ...

similarly when chanting l frequently return to the same joyfully blissfull state , ...when we were first told that in truth Krsna's name and Krsna are non different so by chanting Krsna's name , by becoming absorbed in that name , we were becoming absorbed in Krsna himself , ...l sort of realised these states to be Krsna's all pervading and all atractive nature , ...so frequently now I see emerging from this vastness a small figure playing his flute , ..no picture l ever find captures his true beauty he is a little like this but darker , sometimes displaying different moods sometimes with eyes half closed as if absorbed in his own thoughts, ....
, ...sometimes much darker than other times but symultaniously radient , ..
f8a5e9f407223f41b120c7baa70bb233.jpg

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
namaskaram terese ji

when l was young (l am not sure when it started , seems like it was a feeling that was allways with me) l used sometimes to dream of leaving this body and becoming absorbed in the enormity of infinate space , it was a strangely comforting dream in which l did not feel alone , it was a dream that l did not want to leave, ....l wanted to go deeper in to it , it was the most amazing thing , ....l didnt realy understand it but also didnt need to , ....l had got to the point where l could just go there in wakefullness and sometimes in sleep , ......it was only many years later that l began to understand what it was or what it might be , ...l remember being told the story of Mother Yashoda and the day she opened Krsnas mouth because she saw the young child Krsna eating dirt , of course she tried to open his mouth to remove the mud he had eaten and upon opening his mouth she was shocked to see the entire universe swirling arround inside the young boy , ...

similarly when chanting l frequently return to the same joyfully blissfull state , ...when we were first told that in truth Krsna's name and Krsna are non different so by chanting Krsna's name , by becoming absorbed in that name , we were becoming absorbed in Krsna himself , ...l sort of realised these states to be Krsna's all pervading and all atractive nature , ...so frequently now I see emerging from this vastness a small figure playing his flute , ..no picture l ever find captures his true beauty he is a little like this but darker , sometimes displaying different moods sometimes with eyes half closed as if absorbed in his own thoughts, ....
Does that still happen? Those dreams?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
As I said I had a vision of Krishna, but the vision is just that, a vision, we see what we want to see, we see what we are familiar with, be that a picture or whatever, the Krishna that I saw was the Krishna that I remembered from pictures of him, but no one really knows how Krishna looked like. So what I saw wasn't important, its what I experienced within that is much more important.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
As I said I had a vision of Krishna, but the vision is just that, a vision, we see what we want to see, we see what we are familiar with, be that a picture or whatever, the Krishna that I saw was the Krishna that I remembered from pictures of him, but no one really knows how Krishna looked like. So what I saw wasn't important, its what I experienced within that is much more important.
The Lord knew you love Krishna's form the most, and so appeared as Krishna. But yes, experience is very important.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The Lord knew you love Krishna's form the most, and so appeared as Krishna. But yes, experience is very important.
Yes you are right, but also yes, his form is beautiful, and no matter what brings us to him, the important thing is that we are brought to him in all his glory.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Krishna reminds me of the story of the pip piper, in stead of attacking rates with his flute, Krishna attracts the awakened, they are drawn to him, because within they are the fullness of Brahma, and want to be One with Krishna, the pure reflection of the Brahma.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
But you see, Krishna is logically said to be in form, as he is represented, this is very similar to Jesus. There are people who might say, well Jesus is different from the '/invisible deity, .hmmm but then is the same?
Anyways, Krishna is just Krishna, to me,. I might say manifestation of Visnu, as a matter of convenience, or writing, but in reality the /character there, is Krishna/
Thank you, that was beautiful, and very nicely said.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
There is so much beauty in Hinduism, I wish I could understand it all, but I am limited with my Western mind. :(

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram terese ji

Does that still happen? Those dreams?

yes , ...when ever l am quiet and still l can close my eyes and go there , ...except there is also here , ..to me it is what we dont see when we are engaging with the material world , it is just that we become so engrosed in our physical self and our daily life that we canot see beyond the material realm , ...

to me this is the whole point of chanting or meditating , not just to glorify the lord but also to go beyond this worldly level of existance and to see Krsna , to begin to understand his nature , ....

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
But you see, Krishna is logically said to be in form, as he is represented, this is very similar to Jesus. There are people who might say, well Jesus is different from the '/invisible deity, .hmmm but then is the same?
Anyways, Krishna is just Krishna, to me,. I might say manifestation of Visnu, as a matter of convenience, or writing, but in reality the /character there, is Krishna/
Except yesus is a normal human being whose cult developed after years of his demise for whatever reasons and killing millions of pagans(and converting the rest) atleast according to the history...

Krushna is the supreme godhead who is the origin of entire universe and who takes the entire universe into him at the time of pralaya and he exists in everything to sustain it when he brings out the universe from him which is existing inside him in micro format. The universe would just collapse without him existing in everything. He is subtler than the subtlest and greater than the greatest and he takes innumerable avataras to rescue the atmas/souls due to his immeasurable love and mercy to lift the jIvas from time to time caught in this continued samsara of life and death...

Hare Krushna

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram ji

There is so much beauty in Hinduism, I wish I could understand it all, but I am limited with my Western mind. :(

it is allmost impossible to understand it all and in a way we dont have to , but sometimes we limit ourselves , there is no reason why a western mind canot explore the beauty , all one has to do is as Sri Krsna recomends , ...''fix your mind on me'', ...this we can do by meditation , by chanting , and by reading the glories of the supreme , ...as when we are absorbed in such occupations we forget the body and forget our cultural conditioning , ....

imagine it like when we were small and mother would read us a story , ...for the duration of that story we were transported to another place, we forgot about all other things we forgot our little arguments with our brothers and sisters or our worldly wants , ...this way too we can go beyond our daily concerns , we can begin to explore who we realy are , ...

Kirran

Premium Member
Except yesus is a normal human being whose cult developed after years of his demise for whatever reasons and killing millions of pagans(and converting the rest) atleast according to the history...

Krushna is the supreme godhead who is the origin of entire universe and who takes the entire universe into him at the time of pralaya and he exists in everything to sustain it when he brings out the universe from him which is existing inside him in micro format. The universe would just collapse without him existing in everything. He is subtler than the subtlest and greater than the greatest and he takes innumerable avataras to rescue the atmas/souls due to his immeasurable love and mercy to lift the jIvas from time to time caught in this continued samsara of life and death...

Hare Krushna

The understanding given here would be that Krishna is just one name for the Supreme Godhead, with people choosing a form such as Jesus or Shiva being just as valid. This is not an unusual opinion among Hindus, I know swamis who agree with this understanding.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
The understanding given here would be that Krishna is just one name for the Supreme Godhead, with people choosing a form such as Jesus or Shiva being just as valid. This is not an unusual opinion among Hindus, I know swamis who agree with this understanding.
Sorry its not valid and according to scriptures, equating god with a human is the worse of sins. Yesus and you me and all others in this world has a materialistic body.

Krushna brings his sachidananda sattwika divya managala vigraham as his body and not this materialistic body, so even his form is supreme!

I subscribe to only vedic pramanas

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
namaskaram terese ji

Great poast..

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Kalyan ji

personaly after having looked at the life of Jesus from an outside perspective , ...l am of the mind that he was an extrordinary person , ....and that the cult as you put it of 'Christianity' takes only a portion of that persons teachings to heart egnoring much of what he stood for , ...however this is not uncommon it happens in all religions , ...

jai jai , ...here l will never dissagree , ...but do you say this because you have been taught this, ..or do you say this because you have some experience of this , ..?

here l think this thread gives a very nice oppertunity for us to discuss what experiences we personaly have which convinces us that what we have been taught is true , ...

Hare Krushna

jai jai , ...Hari Hari Bol