• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone ever had a near death experience?

MissAlice

I realize this a sensitive topic and the mainly the reason why I ask is this isn't a debate forum. I don't blame for anyone not answering this question since death is such a hard thing to come by especially when it's you've loved or cared deeply about. I lost a few family members who didn't die so quickly or greatly.

Before I start this topic, I do not believe or know for certain if there is an after life or not. My death experience revolved two self-inflictions. In fact, I do not know how close or far I was to death. I remain on the skeptical part, I don't even know my death was even that close. The only thing I can try and do is comfort. I think for a lot of us, it is so hard to lose someone in the agony and pain of death.

Both mine involved attack and suicide. They weren't that great and I hardly remember what happened. However, I did feel great pain before being pushed against the cement. I remember exactly crying for my mom and stupidly wishing the "lord" to take me right away. Instead of that happening, I was kicked in the stomach. Too much details to go in, but I can remember nothing after that. The only thing I remember is a very warm sensation, not easy to describe. I remember someone holding my hand and a white light and sense of feeling safe. It's not that it's so much the hallucination but getting ridiculed. I don't recommend my experiences as being anywhere near death so don't try it!!! I've tried to stay out of danger's path since then. I would rather go through the pains and experiences of life than the long grueling experiences I had.

Share yours but for heaven's sakes or whatever DON'T!!

.lava

Veteran Member
i am deeply sorry to hear someone hurt you like that.

it's all near death experiences but of course that's not what you mean. i had a few. even when i was 3 days old i almost died though i don't remember it. nothing so special about my expeiences i guess. some people leave their bodies after an accident. i had it without accident. that would be real time OOBE; seeing my body laying down and still sleeping in bed

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm sorry to hear your story too, Alice. :(

I have not had a near death experience. I had a real funky dream though that I left my body to help a policeman who had stopped a van full of gang members on a particular expressway.

I'll spare you the details and get to the cool part. I was walking alongside him, whispering, "Be careful." He stopped as if he heard me and called for back up.

When I woke up that morning, that very same incident happened around 3am. All the details matched too ~ the cop, the expressway, the type of vehicle and the color, the gang members, the drugs, the time of day. I was pretty rocked by that.

MissAlice

Thank you guys, I really didn't mean to steal this topic. I'm not very great with words but I do encourage anyone who sees such violent acts to another person, to report it to a police or someone.

My philosophy, let live those who live. I cannot say for the rest, not everyone knows what it is like.

Last edited:

Peacewise

Yeh I've had near death experiences, too many of them. Being a bicycle courier for 5 years left me with a great appreciation for those people who spend much of their lives working on the roads, truckies, taxi drivers, couriers - the transport industry. More than once I was a tenth of a second from death on a bike, or a metre from death, so much so that I came to have a different sense of "safe" than most other people, half a second gap in traffic for me is huge, likewise 2 metres gap in space between cars is also huge.

A different time I was put in hospital due to being assaulted.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When I have talked about Near Death experiences in the past I have been sure to include overt physical trauma as one of the things that can lead to this bizarre kind of experience. I was fortunate to encounter this type of experience in an extended meditation format and in another I am not at liberty to discuss on RF or via PM's on RF. *wink*

Aside from this, I feel for you that you had to go through your trauma to encounter this quirky aspect of consciousness. I trust you are a better person for it (the experience, that is, not the trauma).

cynic2005

i am deeply sorry to hear someone hurt you like that.

it's all near death experiences but of course that's not what you mean. i had a few. even when i was 3 days old i almost died though i don't remember it. nothing so special about my expeiences i guess. some people leave their bodies after an accident. i had it without accident. that would be real time OOBE; seeing my body laying down and still sleeping in bed

Interesting... Coming from a neuroscientific and psychological perspective, people would say that this experience you had .lava was not an "out of body" experience per say. Of course I've had my own set of experiences, so I remain open minded.
However, according to the literature, people who often have a traumatic experience, experience what is called dissociation and/or depersonalization. That is when the traumatic experience is too great, the person feels that they are no longer inside their body, that they are watching someone else instead.
Not too long ago, neurologists were able to cause out of body experiences on command by stimulating the (I think it was called angular gyrus) of their subjects' brains. This supposedly is a region where vision and proprioception coalesce. By stimulating such a region, the sense of vision and the sense of owning and possessing a body become decoupled.

I could write more, but this would involve a lot of jargon I'm afraid. To sum it up, the scientific literature seems to suggest that out of body experiences are natural phenomena, and can be explained as a construct of the brain.

Also, it might interest you to look up phantom limb syndrome and temporal lobe epilepsy. This is not to discredit the fact that you had an out of body experience, but to introduce you to some scientific literature revolving around the subject. I think it is possible that an afterlife exists. If you consider quantum mechanics and M-Theory, such an idea may not seem so far fetched.

Last edited:

Morpheus

Well, although I haven't had any, it is a topic of much interest to me. Being an open minded soul, I have read a number of accounts and found there to be lots of literature on the topic. I understand there are reports of up to 5 stages of nde's, that people have been able to come back from and report. So it depends what stage you have been to as to what your experience may have been. Those who have been beyond the first couple of stages seem to report generally fairly similar events, or should I say they have similar themes.
As these are all independent events, with similar themes, I have to say there must be something in all this. You cant have different people for all over the world reporting similar goings on without there being something solid underlying it all. Or can you??
The most amazing story I heard was from a lady named Renee Pasarow - a stage five NDE.
Google it...

Ares

from the Blood tribe
I wont mention mine, made that mistake b4, I know what I experienced and others will tell u it was a dream, or tell u some bs tryin 2 convince u otherwise.

biased

Do Out of Body Experiences/NDE on Dissociatives (Ketamine, Nitrous Oxide, DXM) count OP?

If so, then yes. Many times.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Yes, in many situations have I smudged shoulders with Death. Although, I have never banged heads with him.

I remember reading somewhere that random times people may die when the sleep. When this happens according to what I read, an angel will come and take their soul to Heaven for judgement. However, sometimes the soul slips from the angels grasp and falls back to their body and it actually feels like you're falling from singers height but you have no pain upon the ending of the feeling. So if this is true, then yes, many times but thankfully not very recently