• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anybody ever put themselves in God's shoes?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
if not.....he will bite you

God might have the same lean

I wasn't really comparing God to my dog, given that he's infinitely more complex than me. I'd be the dog, in my analogy. Sure, I could be trained to follow God's orders, if he so desired, but to think I could actually understand him?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
And then asked yourself what is fair and just, and what ain't?

What should I tell humanity?

How should I tell humanity what they need to know?

If all of humanity is sinful, and I want to save them, what should I do?

. . . Putting on god shoes!

I think biblical Christianity, when reasonable people think through it, is a part of this effort.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It appears you do not remember the "previous post" to which you, yourself were referring in the quote I referenced. Here it is:

Your assertion was that "most respondents don't see it." and implying, basically, that you see yourself as accurately speaking for God and His actions. Then @lewisnotmiller posted in reply:

To which you then replied (what I quoted earlier):

So, what you are saying is that @lewisnotmiller's post proved that "most respondents don't see it", with "it" in this case being your accurate portrayal of God's thoughts/desires/etc. - as seen by you putting yourself in God's shoes.

It is all extremely presumptuous and pompous of you, to be honest. Which is why I finally replied with "Says you..." - indicating that this is only "true" from your perspective, and it might do you some good to realize it.
not at all.....

placing yourself in God's perspective is easy enough

unless you are hung about not believing
and then the perspective won't happen

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, because I reject the supposed separation of "creator" and "creation" that is common in the Abrahamic religions.
I believe God created substance
He is not substance
He is Spirit
First in mind and heart

Someone had to be First

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Nobody knows the mind of God. To do so you would have to be God. It is probably the height of human hubris and possibly man's greatest possible sin to pretend to speak for God. But what the heck let's give it a go!

So what do we know about God's behavior. Well, based on human experiments there is no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. In other words, God seems to be completely indifferent to how we treat each other because so much unnecessary evil is allowed to transpire. So if I were in God's shoes I would say God is pro-choice.

Also, nature is relentless in repeating the laws of physics. If I drop something it hits the ground every time! God or supernatural forces never seem to come into play with nature's relentless commitment to being loyal to the laws of physics. So if I were in God's shoes, again, I seem to be okay with just letting the hurricanes kill people being a passive observer to all the chaos.

So what would God's shoes be like. I think having omnipotent powers is boring. You know everything and you've experienced everything. I think God exists and God's purpose is to realize His own omnipotence. Being omnipotent is not limited or bounded by the laws of physics and logic. Any omnipotent God has to be able to BE every possible way of being. So for God to realize His own omnipotence God has to be able to BE nothingness all the way through to absolute everythingness. Along with everything partial in between. Of course these words may sound like they do not have meaning but they do. For God to realize his omnipotence God has to realize every possible finite way of being from nothingness to infinity and beyond.

So if we are in God's shoes why would human beings exist. We are finite expressions of consciousness experiencing the Universe from a finite point of view. Because we are finite we have limitations. And because we have limitations we have joys, successes, sorrows, and failures. In order for God to realize His omnipotence, human beings exist so our omnipotent God can experience the thrill of having limitations by sharing in our experiences. We are created in God's image but the reflection goes both ways. We are God's eyes into what it means to have finite experiences. And in order for an omnipotent God to truly be omnipotent, both finite and infinite experiences as well as experiencing nothingless have to be part of the God's total experience.
not so far.....
God will do as we have done unto others
our spirits take note all that we say or do

and yes physical law is firm.....for all of us
I suggest NOT tempting God
do not step on a high ledge and jump.....assuming the angels will be sent to spare your fall

and if heaven cannot see it's reflection in you
where then will you go?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I wasn't really comparing God to my dog, given that he's infinitely more complex than me. I'd be the dog, in my analogy. Sure, I could be trained to follow God's orders, if he so desired, but to think I could actually understand him?
and Moses did ask....as he was taking the tablets to his people....
They will want to know Whose law this is. What shall I tell them?

Say to them......I AM!
and they with understanding will know Whose law this is

A Vestigial Mote

not at all.....

placing yourself in God's perspective is easy enough

unless you are hung about not believing
and then the perspective won't happen
So you're again saying that you accurately speak on the motives behind God's thoughts and actions? That your perspective on God accurately reflects Him? That's where you're going?

You do realize that this means that you nearly equate your own opinions of what God is about with the opinions of a being who can supposedly do no wrong? Basically this just about means that you believe you can do no wrong.

From the majority of what I have read from you around this site, I have to admit that it doesn't surprise me in the least that you might hold that opinion of yourself... but it is funny that most of the time I can't repress the thought that you couldn't be more wrong when reading your posts.

dfnj

not so far.....
God will do as we have done unto others
our spirits take note all that we say or do

and yes physical law is firm.....for all of us
I suggest NOT tempting God
do not step on a high ledge and jump.....assuming the angels will be sent to spare your fall

and if heaven cannot see it's reflection in you
where then will you go?

How bad can Hell be it can't be worse than living in New Jersey.

I believe our omnipotent God loves every being in His creation equally no matter what. My faith is in a God of unconditional love who let's everyone pass through the gates of Heaven to experience eternal heavenly bliss regardless of our earthly sins or how we practiced our religion. Everyone is saved even the worse sinners to have ever existed. This is because sin is a condition of love. And my faith is in a God of unconditional Love. You may think I'm crazy but my faith is unshakable. And besides, why do you care if sinners get to experience eternal heavenly bliss anyway. You will be too busy experiencing eternal heavenly bliss to care. Everyone is saved. It's all good!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So you're again saying that you accurately speak on the motives behind God's thoughts and actions? That your perspective on God accurately reflects Him? That's where you're going?

You do realize that this means that you nearly equate your own opinions of what God is about with the opinions of a being who can supposedly do no wrong? Basically this just about means that you believe you can do no wrong.

From the majority of what I have read from you around this site, I have to admit that it doesn't surprise me in the least that you might hold that opinion of yourself... but it is funny that most of the time I can't repress the thought that you couldn't be more wrong when reading your posts.
I believe we end up along side others....
who think and feel as we do

How else to be happy?
How else to be fair?

dfnj

None of us can truly knows what is "wrong". Each of us just has faith as to what is "right".

Thief

Rogue Theologian
How bad can Hell be it can't be worse than living in New Jersey.

I believe our omnipotent God loves every being in His creation equally no matter what. My faith is in a God of unconditional love who let's everyone pass through the gates of Heaven to experience eternal heavenly bliss regardless of our earthly sins or how we practiced our religion. Everyone is saved even the worse sinners to have ever existed. This is because sin is a condition of love. And my faith is in a God of unconditional Love. You may think I'm crazy but my faith is unshakable. And besides, why do you care if sinners get to experience eternal heavenly bliss anyway. You will be too busy experiencing eternal heavenly bliss to care. Everyone is saved. It's all good!
so...you and Hitler will party together?
going to burn some Jews are you?

dfnj

so...you and Hitler will party together?
going to burn some Jews are you?

When you are experiencing eternal heavenly bliss why do you think you would have any time left over to think about such things?

Just remember everyone Hitler killed is experiencing eternally heavenly bliss in heaven. We do not know what choices Hitler had. Maybe Hitler was psychopath who had no control over his lack of empathy. It is not for me to judge but for God. God loves all his creations equally even if he is unhappy with Hitler's behaviors. It seems like you are the one who is full of hate in wanting to see Hitler suffer eternal damnation. Maybe you need to replace some of your hate with unconditional love.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
When you are experiencing eternal heavenly bliss why do you think you would have any time left over to think about such things?

Just remember everyone Hitler killed is experiencing eternally heavenly bliss in heaven. We do not know what choices Hitler had. Maybe Hitler was psychopath who had no control over his lack of empathy. It is not for me to judge but for God. God loves all his creations equally even if he is unhappy with Hitler's behaviors. It seems like you are the one who is full of hate in wanting to see Hitler suffer eternal damnation. Maybe you need to replace some of your hate with unconditional love.
any time left?????
only the rest of eternity

Hitler will likely end up alongside others of similar attitude

I will be somewhere else

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
and Moses did ask....as he was taking the tablets to his people....
They will want to know Whose law this is. What shall I tell them?

Say to them......I AM!
and they with understanding will know Whose law this is

Trained to follow orders.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I would think God would be the ultimate in relateableness. And we would be made for that purpose. Made to know and understand God. Otherwise humanity and God would be never-ending strangers.

Life being ideal, people are not meant to be total alien strangers to each other. Life would have to have a joy and a purpose to it. I don't think we all have to be the same, but a foundational commonality is inherent in all living creatures.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I would think God would be the ultimate in relateableness. And we would be made for that purpose. Made to know and understand God. Otherwise humanity and God would be never-ending strangers.

Life being ideal, people are not meant to be total alien strangers to each other. Life would have to have a joy and a purpose to it. I don't think we all have to be the same, but a foundational commonality is inherent in all living creatures.
for the most part I agree....

but as we can see....the body produces a unique spirit on each occasion

the common aspect comes to play as we stand before heaven

I believe the peace of heaven is guarded
not all are allowed to enter
a certain frame of mind and heart needs to be there (in each of us)

and I would point out....no position of heaven is guaranteed
even God's Favored fell from grace

if that position can be lost.....so can any other

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
And then asked yourself what is fair and just, and what ain't?

What should I tell humanity?

How should I tell humanity what they need to know?

If all of humanity is sinful, and I want to save them, what should I do?

. . . Putting on god shoes!

I think that's a useful perspective sometimes, tricky obviously, but perhaps the closest we come is considering our own children

we love them, we want to protect them from all harm, but we also want them to have free will, to learn for themselves what is good and bad, or there is no meaning to these things.