• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has any believer here ever called into the Atheist Experience?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, the "low hanging fruit" arguments. :) I've tried raising the bar of discussions with many atheist debaters on this many times. Occasionally I find those who hear the arguments and offer valid points of view that differ, but the norm is more just assuming what I am saying is the same low-hanging fruit arguments they are skilled at swatting down.

I've pretty much been convinced that's because that is the limit of their own understandings of these things, and that is why they are "unbelievers". But then so am I. The god they don't believe in, and the reasons for it, is the same god I don't believe in either. I am a rationalist, but I don't stop there. Richard Dawkins' god for instance, is pretty much the God of fundamentalist beliefs and nothing more elevated than that. I'm an atheist too, if that's the standard.

As I said, I've not listed to these folks, and maybe they have deeper more philosophical views, rather than the typical Noah's Ark can't be really real type debunking beliefs. While those are useful for a fundamentalist questioning those types of beliefs for themselves, they don't speak to anything deeper than that for me.

It's not a done deal once you accept the earth isn't 6000 years old and that donkeys can't really talk in human language. Deconstruction is the easy part. But where do you go from there? A purely physicalist view of reality is functionally as mythological as flying horses are.

Maybe you can point me to some time markers in the video, as I really don't have the inclination to listen to 1 1/2 hour videos.

I hear you and agree and I am an atheist, though not a neo-atheist.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Then call up Matt and correct him.

But before you do what is wrong with it?

I don't believe in right, wrong or evidence since I have no evidence for any of the these beliefs. I just believe.

The problem of any of these debates is that it is not possible to give any evidence for what objective reality is as objective. I have beliefs about what objective reality is, but I don't claim truth, proof or evidence. What about you?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
You said preach

Correct.:shrug:

Folk can understand my beliefs.

Not what you implied earlier, and all you've offered here are bare claims and a false equivalence fallacy.

I meant most folk dont know enough about my belief system to properly argue against it.

They don't need to, it's you who is making claims you already admitted you have no intention of defending. A claim doesn't gain credence if it can't be disproved either, that is the very definition of an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The title says it all. Has anyone called the Atheist Experience? Who was the host that day? How did you think that you did? And if possible can you link the video?

I liked Matt Dillhunty as host. I tried calling once of twice but could not connect. Many years back now. It was on a show that was discussing the origin of the universe or something.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The title says it all. Has anyone called the Atheist Experience? Who was the host that day? How did you think that you did? And if possible can you link the video?

I don't get it. Being an atheist is the lack of positive belief/disbelief in Gods. That is all there is to say. Everything else those humans have to say has nothing to do with atheism.
So what is the point of the show? What is their actual worldview beyond atheism?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Correct.:shrug:

Not what you implied earlier, and all you've offered here are bare claims and a false equivalence fallacy.

They don't need to, it's you who is making claims you already admitted you have no intention of defending. A claim doesn't gain credence if it can't be disproved either, that is the very definition of an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy.
I know I said I wasn't going to say more but i feel the need to point out...
A claim only has to be defended if a person wants another to accept it or agree with them. I don't feel like defending it cuz I don't care if others accept it or not nor do i have a desire to force my beliefs on another or care if someone agrees or not.

I was just stating my opinion. Not trying to get folk to agree with it or accept it as fact. Also i already admitted I screwed up my wording in my first post but that's ok cuz @Subduction Zone understood what i was trying to get at I done pmed him. Imma not debate you cuz I don't feel like it. Like i said just cuz it's a debate forum doesnt mean a person has to debate it just means the option to debate is available. You can still comment if you feel you got something to add to the discussion and it's relevant to the topic. At least that's how I understood the debate forum thing. I could tag a mod to be sure.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It was a while ago now, but remember that lunatic with the Sottish accent, madder than a box of frogs, and they paid his asinine claims due deference. Credit to them for the patience, though I haven't watched it for a while. I never saw a single caller who didn't ultimately resort irrational or unfalsifiable anecdotal claims though, not a one.
I especially liked that one theist guy who really only called in to complain that the show wasn't fair because "only stupid people called".

o_O:D

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I know I said I wasn't going to say more but i feel the need to point out...
A claim only has to be defended if a person wants another to accept it or agree with them.

DEBATE forum....

I don't feel like defending it

Yes you said, all you want is to preach and make claims, that's not how debate works.

I was just stating my opinion.

You reeled off several claims, about your beliefs, without the intention of ever debating any of those claims. You now seem to be just repeating my own points back to me?

Imma not debate you cuz I don't feel like it. Like i said just cuz it's a debate forum doesnt mean a person has to debate it just means the option to debate is available.

Well that rather begs the question why you'd choose the debate forum, of all the ones available, but you already said this, and are simply repeating your desire to preach your beliefs without debating anything.

You can still comment if you feel you got something to add to the discussion and it's relevant to the topic. At least that's how I understood the debate forum thing. I could tag a mod to be sure.

Or you could look debate up in any dictionary, it involves opposing arguments or viewpoints.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
DEBATE forum....

Yes you said, all you want is to preach and make claims, that's not how debate works.

You reeled off several claims, about your beliefs, without the intention of ever debating any of those claims. You now seem to be just repeating my own points back to me?

We that rather begs the question why you'd choose the debate forum of all the ones available, but you already said this are simply repeating your desire to preach your beliefs without debating anything.

Or you could look debate up in any dictionary, it involves opposing arguments or viewpoints.
I already said I wasn't preaching. I was giving my opinion. I commented because it was relevant to the discussion. Subduction Zone posted it in a debate forum the question and I wanted to add my input despite it being in a debate forum. I don't see nothing wrong with adding my input even tho I didn't want to debate in a debate forum to possibly give Subduction Zone something to think about. There's nothing in the rules that says I have to debate just that my posts have to be on topic and that I shouldnt spam. There are tons of posts in the debate forums that are interesting that I often feel i could add input in. Not cuz I am trying to preach but cuz I feel the topic is interesting and wish to contribute. Should i not comment even if i dont wish to debate? What is it not possible to to give an opinion without wanting to preach or debate?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

No. Discussing religion with antitheists is not appealing to me at all. If I wanted to do that, I'd stop ignoring most of the ones here. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'm mostly over debating religion in general. I've done it for a few decades now and it's not fun anymore.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No. Discussing religion with antitheists is not appealing to me at all. If I wanted to do that, I'd stop ignoring most of the ones here. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'm mostly over debating religion in general. I've done it for a few decades now and it's not fun anymore.

Well, I still learn about it. But not so much from theists and anti-theists anymore.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Why are they more than that in your opinion?

I mean there must be more that 2 humans chanting for more than one hour: Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities. Again and again. I mean that is the Atheistic Experience. That is all there is to atheism. That is what other athiests tell me atheism is. So it follows that is what these 2 humans do for more than an hour.

Yeah, I know I am not nice. But could you just admit as an atheist, that there is more to your atheism than this: Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities.?

Then we can proceed and learn more about different kinds of atheism beyond that atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I mean there must be more that 2 humans chanting for more than one hour: Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities. Again and again. I mean that is the Atheistic Experience. That is all there is to atheism. That is what other athiests tell me atheism is. So it follows that is what these 2 humans do for more than an hour.

Yeah, I know I am not nice. But could you just admit as an atheist, that there is more to your atheism than this: Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities.?

Then we can proceed and learn more about different kinds of atheism beyond that atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities
Didn't you read the thread at all? It is a online call in show. They have discussions with others especially theists, though they do give advice to atheist callers asking for advice, family members sometimes go a bit nuts when a another member becomes atheist.

It appears that you were merely basing an opinion upon ignorance.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Didn't you read the thread at all? It is a online call in show. They have discussions with others especially theists, though they do give advice to atheist callers asking for advice, family members sometimes go a bit nuts when a another member becomes atheist.

It appears that you were merely basing an opinion upon ignorance.

So they do more that just what atheism is? Is that the correct understanding?