• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has a woodpecker ever pissed you off?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Has a woodpecker ever pissed you off? I'm hearing what sounds like a woodpecker, but I'm wondering maybe if it's one of my neighbors.

When I think of woodpeckers I wonder how long it took them to evolve such beaks and behavior. They could hurt someone with that thing. I also wonder if it ever gives them a headache.
main-qimg-94001ff5ec3b1ac2a18d20708958dd83.png

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have a LOT of both flickers and woodpeckers up here in paradise and they are all out with a vengence right now. That said, I was sitting having a smoke in the yard the other day and watched an eager young woodpecker attack a piece of metal flashing on my roof. He went at it for some time and then gave up. LOL. Not the brightest creatures. (They do have really interesting chirps or song though.)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I live in a wooded area, and we feed the birds. Woodpeckers (and some non-woodpeckers who hunt for insects and hide seeds are constantly pecking at our house. It can be annoying, it definitely can cause damage, but the worst is during the spring and early summer when a male decides that a downspout gives a perfect drumming sound to declare his territory and attract a female...as soon as it starts to get light out...:mad::confused::mad:o_O

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I live in a wooded area, and we feed the birds. Woodpeckers (and some non-woodpeckers who hunt for insects and hide seeds are constantly pecking at our house. It can be annoying, it definitely can cause damage, but the worst is during the spring and early summer when a male decides that a downspout gives a perfect drumming sound to declare his territory and attract a female...as soon as it starts to get light out...:mad::confused::mad:o_O
A quick burst from the dual .50 cal's out front would put a stop to that pretty fast :)

pearl

I have a variety of them that visit the feeders, seed bricks and suet, but have not found them annoying yet or attacking the house. I hear them on the tree though.

allfoak

Alchemist
Has a woodpecker ever pissed you off? I'm hearing what sounds like a woodpecker, but I'm wondering maybe if it's one of my neighbors.

When I think of woodpeckers I wonder how long it took them to evolve such beaks and behavior. They could hurt someone with that thing. I also wonder if it ever gives them a headache.View attachment 25250
Love the sounds of nature, could listen to a woodpecker all day long.

Daemon Sophic

This....at 5AM in the springtime. :mad:
We keep a pellet gun ready to shoot at them. The gutters and the chimney cap are their favorites.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Yes, been there often. Our guttering and downspouts are rolled steel plate, it makes quite a wake-up call at 5am

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
On yeah. Woodpeckers are an unwelcome alarm clock where I am. I've gotten really good at hitting the branch they're sitting on with my sling shot. Haven't hit a bird yet (would be an accident if I did).

David1967

Premium Member

When I think of woodpeckers I wonder how long it took them to evolve such beaks and behavior. They could hurt someone with that thing. I also wonder if it ever gives them a headache.View attachment 25250

Yes! Last year every morning for about two weeks one would start pecking the electric pole near my bedroom window waking me up too early. It eventually went away, but man was it annoying.

Daemon Sophic

On yeah. Woodpeckers are an unwelcome alarm clock where I am. I've gotten really good at hitting the branch they're sitting on with my sling shot. Haven't hit a bird yet (would be an accident if I did).
Yeah. Usually I’m aiming for “near” them. They are a very skitish bird, and have already flown if I make any noise before firing a pellet.
On that note, one technique that I’ve found useful is taping bird repellent ribbon like this....
71DE0QGIZ-L._SX463_.jpg

....to the corner of the house where they like to peck. They are too skitish to sit and peck near the waving ribbon. :)