• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvard Gun Study

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some will find this a confirmation of what they already knew, but some others will now probably chime in on how stupid professors are at Harvard:

A high-profile shooting, like the June 17 crime that left dead nine members of a historically black church in Charleston, South Carolina, is typically followed by calls for greater gun control, along with counter arguments that the best way to stop gun crimes is with more guns...

A new study, however, throws cold water on the idea that a well-armed populace deters criminals or prevents murders. Instead, higher ownership of guns in a state is linked to more firearm robberies, more firearm assaults and more homicide in general.

"We found no support for the hypothesis that owning more guns leads to a drop or a reduction in violent crime," said study researcher Michael Monuteaux, an epidemiologist and professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. "Instead, we found the opposite."

Numerous studies have found that gun ownership correlates with gun homicide, and homicide by gun is the most common type of homicide in the United States. In 2013, for example, there were 16,121 total homicides in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and 11,208 of those were carried out with a firearm. (Gun suicides outpace gun homicides by far; in 2013, the CDC recorded 21,175 suicides by firearm, about half of all suicides that year. Contrary to popular belief, suicide is typically an impulsive act, psychiatrists say. Ninety percent of people who attempt suicide once will not go on to complete a suicide later, but a suicide attempt using a gun is far more lethal than other methods.)...

They found no evidence that states with more households with guns led to timid criminals. In fact, firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in states with the most guns versus states with the least. Firearm robbery increased with every increase in gun ownership except in the very highest quintile of gun-owning states (the difference in that cluster was not statistically significant). Firearm homicide was 2.8 times more common in states with the most guns versus states with the least...
-- Guns Don't Deter Crime, Study Finds - Yahoo News

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Someone should let the police know this.
They do know, which is why so many departments have gun buy-back programs, and also have complained that the criminals are often more well armed than they are.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They do know, which is why so many departments have gun buy-back programs, and also have complained that the criminals are often more well armed than they are.
But I also know cops who work at local gun stores, & advocate private ownership....for most of us.
Some people shouldn't own them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Harvard publishes a study about guns & gun rights.
It's like RJ Reynolds funding a study about the joys & safety of smoking.
I speculate that some bias might creep in.
I've seen other studies over the years that support the same claims, that states with less guns and more gun control have less crime, whereas those with more guns and looser gun control laws have more crime. With this study testing the hypothesis that more guns prevent crime, we can look at different nations and compare their rates of gun crime. The results are not surprising in that America is a leader in both gun ownership and crime, Japan has little of either, and the Scandinavian countries have strict gun regulations and they do not have elevated crime rates like America.
We don't need to ban or get rid of guns, but fewer guns, not more, is what is needed to make America a more safe nation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It is actually harder to defend against crimes than to perpetrate them, so I think the results of the study are reasonable. I often don't agree with claims made by either the NRA or its detractors. I'd have to agree that guns aren't generally a deterrent against most crimes and can be dangerous weapons. Guns are a right that citizens have, and they are only coincidentally used sometimes for self defense.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've seen other studies over the years that support the same claims, that states with less guns and more gun control have less crime, whereas those with more guns and looser gun control laws have more crime. With this study testing the hypothesis that more guns prevent crime, we can look at different nations and compare their rates of gun crime. The results are not surprising in that America is a leader in both gun ownership and crime, Japan has little of either, and the Scandinavian countries have strict gun regulations and they do not have elevated crime rates like America.
We don't need to ban or get rid of guns, but fewer guns, not more, is what is needed to make America a more safe nation.
I don't favor having either fewer or more guns.....the number isn't the big issue.
It's primarily about who has them, & then also about where we may have them & how they're stored/carried.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't favor having either fewer or more guns.....the number isn't the big issue.
It's primarily about who has them, & then also about where we may have them & how they're stored/carried.
The issue of who has them means taking them away from those who shouldn't have them and preventing certain people from acquiring them, which by default means fewer guns.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The issue of who has them means taking them away from those who shouldn't have them and preventing certain people from acquiring them, which by default means fewer guns.
Instead, it could mean more guns per person capable of owning them.
Whether I have 1 or 100, the number of my properly stored & carried guns is immaterial regarding safety & defense.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
living on the outside of the US, I'm going to chime in with what is happening here.

We've got some of the worlds toughest gun laws, yet despite all the gun laws we've got one of the highest gun related crime stats in the world.

There was a statement last year that stated more people die in south africa per day than in any active war currently. (Can't find the quote currently)

So tightening the law won't lead to less crime/murders

Akivah

Presumably, by asking "who" has them, you are referring to the criminal element. Yet, I believe I've seen studies that the majority of deaths by handguns were from people that the victim knew. That is, their own family did the shooting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
living on the outside of the US, I'm going to chime in with what is happening here.

We've got some of the worlds toughest gun laws, yet despite all the gun laws we've got one of the highest gun related crime stats in the world.

There was a statement last year that stated more people die in south africa per day than in any active war currently. (Can't find the quote currently)

Where do you live?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Presumably, by asking "who" has them, you are referring to the criminal element. Yet, I believe I've seen studies that the majority of deaths by handguns were from people that the victim knew. That is, their own family did the shooting.
Not just criminals should be limited.
I also favor limiting who can carry guns in public to those who are well trained & vetted.
And I'd require secure storage to prevent guns being stolen.

Have any links to the mentioned studies?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

So the police are willing to turn in their guns as well?
Ban guns the police will no longer have a need to carry right?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
S.A. and USA both have a segregated past in common. That's a common contributing factor to crime.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Not sure you can extrapolate from South Africa to America in that way. SA is a pretty unique circumstance.
When I lived in Papua New Guinea, the only peacetime place on earth that was rated as more violent was SA (specially J'berg)