• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harlequin

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If a person is called to follow the golden rule and accepts, can they think and behave exclusively in terms of black and white as regards outward appearances?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If a person is called to follow the golden rule and accepts, can they think and behave exclusively in terms of black and white as regards outward appearances?
Here lies the major problem with the Golden Rule. The fanatic seeks to apply the Golden Rule just as much as the reasonable person. The fanatic thinks everyone should think the way he does, and further believes we will be grateful to be taught the TRUTH he knows in his heart.

If only we knew what he knows, we would understand why he does the terrible things he does. We would be thanking him for enlightening us to the TRUTH. He does his terrible deeds not primarily because he hates us (though he may), but because we do not understand the TRUTH he provides and we need to understand that TRUTH. Therefore, anything that might get us to understand that TRUTH is acceptable, no matter how horrifying.

If I were as ignorant as my victims, the fanatic thinks, I would want someone to enlighten me by killing my family, burning my church, raping my daughter, so that I might come to understand the one and only TRUTH that rules the world. Thank you, the fanatic would say, for making me understand that I was following the wrong path. Thank you for setting me straight.
The Problem with the Golden Rule | Steve McEllistrem

The "golden rule" can become something that is very egocentric for some folks.

Generally I don't make the assumption that other folks want to be treated the way I want to be treated. I prefer to be ignored by most and left to go on my merry way. A lot of folks I run into don't like to be ignored. So there's times I treat folks different from the way I like to be treated.

Also with or without the "golden rule" I'd still go about doing things the way I feel they should be done. Makes the golden rule pretty inconsequential to me.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'm sorry, this does not make any sense to me. Please elaborate.

In regards to the Golden Rule: do you just mean the form "Treat others as you wish to be treated," or also the forms of "Don't treat others in ways you would not wish to be treated" and "That which you wish upon others, you also wish upon yourself?"

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Here lies the major problem with the Golden Rule. The fanatic seeks to apply the Golden Rule just as much as the reasonable person. The fanatic thinks everyone should think the way he does, and further believes we will be grateful to be taught the TRUTH he knows in his heart.

If only we knew what he knows, we would understand why he does the terrible things he does. We would be thanking him for enlightening us to the TRUTH. He does his terrible deeds not primarily because he hates us (though he may), but because we do not understand the TRUTH he provides and we need to understand that TRUTH. Therefore, anything that might get us to understand that TRUTH is acceptable, no matter how horrifying.

If I were as ignorant as my victims, the fanatic thinks, I would want someone to enlighten me by killing my family, burning my church, raping my daughter, so that I might come to understand the one and only TRUTH that rules the world. Thank you, the fanatic would say, for making me understand that I was following the wrong path. Thank you for setting me straight.
The Problem with the Golden Rule | Steve McEllistrem

The "golden rule" can become something that is very egocentric for some folks.

Generally I don't make the assumption that other folks want to be treated the way I want to be treated. I prefer to be ignored by most and left to go on my merry way. A lot of folks I run into don't like to be ignored. So there's times I treat folks different from the way I like to be treated.

Also with or without the "golden rule" I'd still go about doing things the way I feel they should be done. Makes the golden rule pretty inconsequential to me.

the problem is with action driven by belief vs action driven by friendly vs unfriendly. a friend wouldn't treat another like a barbie/gi joe doll.

are you hungry for my flesh?

David went out to meet them and said to them, "If you have come to me in peace to help me, I am ready for you to join me. But if you have come to betray me to my enemies when my hands are free from violence, may the God of our ancestors see it and judge you."

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I'm sorry, this does not make any sense to me. Please elaborate.

In regards to the Golden Rule: do you just mean the form "Treat others as you wish to be treated," or also the forms of "Don't treat others in ways you would not wish to be treated" and "That which you wish upon others, you also wish upon yourself?"
the law of reciprocity isn't exclusive to anyone, so yes you can take it from the positive or the negative polarity and it works both ways.

crossfire

Premium Member
the law of reciprocity isn't exclusive to anyone, so yes you can take it from the positive or the negative polarity and it works both ways.
OK, so what exactly do you mean in the OP re:

I'm not understanding the part highlighted in blue.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Nothing prevents how they think.
bingo.

forcing their will vs the other self's will into becoming?

thy kingdom come thy will be done in love as it is in the idea. everyone has a voice, do you hear what the spirit says?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
OK, so what does that have to do with the Golden Rule?
that is what i'm asking self to think about. if i want to wear red today should i get to dictate that you wear the same? how does the rule work? for self or for All as self?

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
that is what i'm asking self to think about. if i want to wear red today should i get to dictate that you wear the same? how does the rule work? for self or for All as self?
Would you want others dictating what colors you have to wear? Probably not. Therefore, don't dictate what colors other people should wear if you don't want them to dictate what colors you should wear. (That's how the Golden Rule works.)