• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harassments in the Streets

Matemkar

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
This is horrible. But for Manhattan, not surprising. The same thing happened to me in Manhattan, and I'm not even a girl, I am a guy. I am walking down the street and I get cat calls like "you're nice!" (I am nice but not sure if that is the nice they were talking about) from some men, then I had women harass me too. The worst were old street gals (homeless?), likely drug addicts, "Wanna be my boyfriend?".

Don't get me wrong - I have been all over the world, so I am VERY acclimated to beggars, but when I say beggars I mean real ones, professional beggars whose full time job is begging... real beggars are NOT these thuggery druggery muggery types in Manhattan some who use the pretense "homeless". These are NOT the beggars of the world that I have come to know and love - these are scum.

I actually like to even hang out with the for real professional beggars like you find in the "Third World", of course there is a limit to anything. Those beggars never would say those things you hear in this video harassing women in such a monkey behavior. These beggars have class, and are some of the best comedians and actors you can imagine, smart and skilled. But these Manhattan mashers are peanut brains, honestly.

The problem is, the other men on the street do not dare beat the crap out of these mashers because the current Mayor will have them arrested. The other problem is, a good guy like me, albeit getting up in age, wouldn't trust that gal, she doesn't have that total "I like to eat nails and have I given you the finger yet today?"look, but she strikes me as probably having a mean streak.

The part I don't get is, how was this video being made? Obvious the camera person was walking right in front of her the entire time. The part I don't get is, not that he was somehow filming her with the cellphone or camera taped to his or her hat, but being anyone could figure out that there was this cellphone-camera thing going on how the camera agent could have walked that far filming this stuff without getting mugged along the way and getting the phone or camera ripped off. Explain that to me, no way could you walk THAT far with a camera prop rolling without being robbed and ripped off in broad daylight in Manhattan.

What we need to do is return to the good old days, an Irish immigrant policeman street walker in a blue suit and a vicious billy club dangling from his wrist with jute to match his vicious whiskey hangover. Just swing the club randomly at anyone who doesn't smile the right way.

Actually that is what New York needs to fix this issue - screw the illegals from Mexico, give me 6 million drunk Irishmen and I will solve all the problems of New York overnight after I suit them all up in blue. They'll not only put those monkeys down, they will teach that gal not to look so snipe-bite smart.

Have you ever walked THAT far in Manhattan with a nice pair of shoes? Forget it, fidget. You will have gum gook and dog crap, you may even slip on a disgusting hotdog wrapper wet with mustard. But that is another story.

Last edited:

Tali018

Thana

Lady
Literally one of the people said 'God bless you have a good day'
That's not harrassment, That's politeness.
Actually I think she was a little rude, So many people said Hello, how are you or have a good day and she just ignored them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
where an American girl shares a glimpse of what happens in the streets of the USA.
She walks on the streets for 10 hours and records it with the help of her friend. And she shows that she gets harassed more than a hundred times.
Is it really this way, I wonder. If so, it is just so sad. What do you think about it? Thanks.
This is NYC, not the "streets of the USA". I've been to many large cities here, & have found it to be the rudest of all cities. Even Detroit, our murder capital, is more polite than NYC.
And I wonder to what extent the videographer singled out predominantly black areas, given the responses which weren't edited out. Surely, white folk aren't any more polite.
Of course, I don't condone making unwanted contact with others. I don't even like helpful sales types in stores.

Matemkar

Literally one of the people said 'God bless you have a good day'
That's not harrassment, That's politeness.
Actually I think she was a little rude, So many people said Hello, how are you or have a good day and she just ignored them.

I don't think those had good intentions either. And could you guarantee in such a place, if she responded, they wouldn't think of the response as "a good sign" and begin to follow and disturb her?

This is NYC, not the "streets of the USA". I've been to many large cities here, & have found it to be the rudest of all cities. Even Detroit, our murder capital, is more polite than NYC.
And I wonder to what extent the videographer singled out predominantly black areas, given the responses which weren't edited out. Surely, white folk aren't any more polite.
Of course, I don't condone making unwanted contact with others. I don't even like helpful sales types in stores.

I am aware of the fact that she singled out the bad things. Yet, no matter what, people shouldn't feel free to disturb others that way.

And it is good to know that this is limited to certain area and I hope it changes as well.

And I don't think the girl in the video did the race thingie intentionally though because in the end of the video it says, people from all races and backgrounds do it.

And thanks for the info. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Good to know that this is limited to certain area and I hope it changes as well.

And I don't think the girl in the video did the race thingie intentionally because in the end of the video it says, people from all races and backgrounds do it.
No doubt all people do...though I've never seen it happen in Chinatown or other Asian enclaves. But the video paints a very racially mischievous picture.

And thanks for the info. :)
You're welcome!

My daughter now lives in Manhattan. I'll have to ask her about this video. (Her primary complaint is about working 60 hours per week.)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Hello. I just saw a short clip:

http://www.netiran.net/somayye/videos/26125/100-متلک-در-10-ساعت!-اینجا-آمریکاست!!!

where an American girl shares a glimpse of what happens in the streets of the USA.

She walks on the streets for 10 hours and records it with the help of her friend. And she shows that she gets harassed more than a hundred times.

Is it really this way, I wonder. If so, it is just so sad. What do you think about it? Thanks.

In cities in the south you find a more polite and gentile atmosphere. Catcalls are always followed by "Ma'am".

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In cities in the south you find a more polite and gentile atmosphere. Catcalls are always followed by "Ma'am".

well...in my town men never stare at women in the streets, not even if they wear miniskirts and stockings.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
There's a difference between catcalls and being neighborly.

The video has been shown to be problematic in its editing and its presentation. However, it DID get people talking about street harassment, and that's a good thing. We're starting a Hollaback! chapter in our area, since St Louis has pockets of street harassment that are overtly predatory.