• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Yom Yerushalayim!

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Judaism DIR:

Happy Yom Yerushalayim!

AKA Jerusalem Day, commemorating the tremendous Israeli victory during the Six Day War and the return of Yerushalayim (besides for large areas of land) to Jewish control for the first time in 2000 years.

Here's a short video about the fighting in Yerushalayim in '67:

Translation of what was said:

At the start of the video, one of the battalion commanders tells the soldiers that they're overlooking Yerushalayim and the Old City and are about to be the first soldiers to enter the city. He then informs them that the tanks will enter via the Lions' Gate.

Various commanders then state that "the Temple Mount is in our hands" and they congratulate the soldiers.

We then hear the journalist who filmed these shots say: "I'm going down to the Western Wall. I am not a religious person, but I am at the Western Wall."

The IDF Chief Rabbi, Rabbi Shlomo Goren (later CR of Israel) makes two blessings: the Shehechiyanu blessing and Menachem Tzion.

The soldiers start singing what was then a brand-new song, Yerushalayim Shel Zahav by Naomi Shemer and someone announces: "Next year in the rebuilt Yerushalayim!"​

and rare footage of the IDF military ceremony on the Temple Mount shortly after it was taken over:

For more info, see here.