• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Star Wars Day!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And may the forth be with you too.

'tiz a great shame Chewbacca didnt quite make another one.
I suggest this guy (the one on the right) as a replacement.....
The Great Khali - Wikipedia
th

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks!

I'm such a big Star Wars fan, I even suffered through the prequels.
That is dedication.
But a true die hard fan has Jar Jar Binks action figures, & perhaps even a costume.

Meeza joking!
True fans hate him.

Bob the Unbeliever

1978. I was just two years out of High School. This was back when the only home video was 8mm film you made (and paid high prices to develop) yourself. Cassettes were all the rage, and just beginning to replace vinyl records in sales.

No Sony Walkman -- that was a year away. Portable cassette decks were mono, with really lousy "speakers" and only played monophonic anyway. Think a kind of 5 key "piano" clunky thing. You still see these, occasionally, in Cop TV shows from that time-- when the cop wanted to record an interview.

TV in the US, consisted of 3 major networks, plus PBS plus some weird offshoot called "fox" up on UHF that nobody knew how to use.

So. If you wanted to see a movie, and it was not on Saturday Movie Rerun on TV? You went to the theater.

You stood in line -- perhaps for hours -- but you only paid a couple of bucks.

Die Hard Fans would pay for one ticket early in the afternoon? Then sit through two showings of the same movie-- as they didn't kick you out after just one. One of my friends went to a very early showing (before noon-- skipping school in the process -- he was still in H.S) and sat through until the 9ish show... very dedicated fan.

Yeah..... I went back to Star Wars 5 (they did not call it that, then-- it was just 'Star Wars') at least a dozen times or more. Towards the end, I limited my re-watches to matinees for about a buck a ticket.

Fortunately for me? I had a younger brother (10 years my junior) -- he was my Go To Excuse to go see it again. And again.... and again... he was always happy to go to see Star Wars again.

May The Forth....

... Be With You, Again.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I was quite young when that movie appeared. By the time I was seven the other kids in my class had snow speeders, but my mom wouldn't buy me one. :( Star Wars ruined my life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was quite young when that movie appeared. By the time I was seven the other kids in my class had snow speeders, but my mom wouldn't buy me one. :( Star Wars ruined my life.
I just started my first engineering job at Northrop on the F-18 program.
When I saw Star Wars, I was surprised how their weapon system
targeting was so WW2...more primitive than what our planes had.
But then, Star Wars was sort of an amalgamation of WW2 movie &
a western.

Bob the Unbeliever

a western.

Yeah.... the dude what designed the Storm Trooper Standard Rifle? Really needed to be shot for treason or something.

Maybe he was secretly a Rebel? And designed a pulse rifle that could not hit a target 3 feet away, on purpose?

redshirt and storm trooper.jpg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
a western.
You got to see the early days of structural simulations. You really should write a book unless somebody already has.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We had a wonderful boss at that time and were able to all play hookey and go to the movies to see Star Wars.

I assume you've all seen this trailer

And if you are a real fan-atic, the breakdown of the trailer with the retcon question (and if you don't know what retcon is, you are not a true fan)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You got to see the early days of structural simulations. You really should write a book unless somebody already has.
Write a book?
I don't even read the dang things anymore.
Besides, I didn't do structural analysis.
Early on, all I did was menial stuff....detail parts, cable routing, shaving weasels.