• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Fourth of July

pearl

An article in the local news today got me thinking about why and who celebrates.
"The Worcester NAACP this week will lead a community reading of an 1852 Frederick Douglass speech that that highlighted the contradiction of celebrating July 4 while millions in the U.S. were enslaved.

The reading of Douglass' "What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?" will happen before Worcester's main July 4 celebration on Thursday at East Park — the city's first in-person Independence Day celebration since 2019.

Now, of course we no longer have slavery, but how many find nothing to celebrate?

"But, such is not the state of the case. I say it with a sad sense of the disparity between us. I am not included within the pale of this glorious anniversary! Your high independence only reveals the immeasurable distance between us. The blessings in which you, this day, rejoice, are not enjoyed in common. — The rich inheritance of justice, liberty, prosperity and independence, bequeathed by your fathers, is shared by you, not by me. The sunlight that brought life and healing to you, has brought stripes and death to me. This Fourth [of] July is yours, not mine. You may rejoice, I must mourn. To drag a man in fetters into the grand illuminated temple of liberty, and call upon him to join you in joyous anthems, were inhuman mockery and sacrilegious irony. Do you mean, citizens, to mock me, by asking me to speak to-day? If so, there is a parallel to your conduct. And let me warn you that it is dangerous to copy the example of a nation whose crimes, lowering up to heaven, were thrown down by the breath of the Almighty, burying that nation in irrecoverable ruin! I can to-day take up the plaintive lament of a peeled and woe-smitten people!"
Frederick Douglass, "What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?" (article) | Khan Academy

joe1776

I was born in the USA on the 4th of July. When I was five my father told me the fireworks celebration was in my honor. I had no reason to doubt him.

I don't remember how many years passed before I realized Pop had been pulling my leg.

His fib instilled in me a strong feeling of self-worth.

To this day, when the fireworks show ends, and the crowd disperses, I still have to suppress an urge to thank them for coming.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I know for a lot people, this is going to be a somber 4th of July, with less of an emphasis on celebrating freedoms, but more on fighting for freedoms lost.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Women still have the right to have an abortion or did all the States make abortions illegal?

It is currently easier for women to buy a firearm in any state than it is for them to have an abortion in many states where they have NO access to them. Let that sink in.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I know for a lot people, this is going to be a somber 4th of July, with less of an emphasis on celebrating freedoms, but more on fighting for freedoms lost.
Yea. Screwed from both sides.

Not much worth celebrating givin what was done to this country by both parties.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do they have a “right” to an abortion?

Or is it now a “privilege” that can be revoked at any time for any reason?
It's always been a privilege. Republicans did wrong, but Democrats are no saints when it comes to lost freedoms either.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is currently easier for women to buy a firearm in any state than it is for them to have an abortion in many states where they have NO access to them. Let that sink in.
Different states have different values.
Some want women unarmed.
Others want them pregnant.
I leave both decisions up to individual women.