• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy for other people

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe it is only me, but i struggle with understanding why we should not be happy for other people who found the calling in of spirituality or religion other than the one we follow our self.
Why does it seem so difficult for some, to be happy and helpful to those of a different belief than their own?

There is some wonderful people in every religion who we can learn from, not from their teaching maybe, but the way they live their life and how they treat others with respect and humbleness.

Here in RF there are some amazing people from totally different religions and no religion at all who i honestly admire for their wisdom.

Last edited:

Gargovic Malkav

When the beliefs of someone else are considered to be immoral and/or (self)destructive, it may be bad for that person's conscience to encourage that kind of thing, because to them it's like "helping" a junkie by giving him the drug that is ruining his life and potentially that of others, even though that drug is his passion.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When the beliefs of someone else are considered to be immoral and/or (self)destructive, it may be bad for that person's conscience to encourage that kind of thing, because to them it's like "helping" a junkie by giving him the drug that is ruining his life and potentially that of others, even though that drug is his passion.
Who is the one desiding what is bad for others? Is it our own opinion, or is based of belief that only one religion can be true and all the rest is wrong?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Maybe it is only me, but i struggle with understanding why we should not be happy for other people who found the calling in of spirituality or religion other than the one we follow our self.
Why does it seem so difficult for some, to be happy and helpful to those of a different belief than their own?

There as some wonderful people in every religion who we can learn from, not from their teaching maybe, but the way they live their life and how they treat others with respect and humbleness.

Here in RF there are some amazing people from totally different religions and no religion at all who i honestly admire for their wisdom.
How do you know they are happy? *grin*

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Can you be happy for people who think you are wrong, because they believe the way they see and practice their religion is the one and only way to be "good"?
Yes of course i can be happy for them. Often in discussion here in RF i find that even it sometimes sting a bit when someone who see religion as a whole as wrong or even bad say it directly to me, I can be happy for them. They have obviously seen something in their life without religion that have made them content and happy, so I am not the one who should step on them.
Yes i have had times where i was "against" non belief, but i realized later that i am not the one to should judge them for what they believe or do not believe.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Most ofen when i speak with other religious peope i can hear if they are happy or not in the way they speak :)
But they could of course be hiding something i could not pick up on.

1. What do you mean by being happy for them as in how deep is your happiness for them?

I believe you can be happy in that you can appreciate and sympathetically (and empathetically to an extent) support another but I would be careful with that word.

2. Can you be happy for someone whose values and actions you disapprove of?

Happy to many is a superficial word and tolerance a bit more than that. Since actions speak louder than words (as they say), is it honest that you can be happy for a person with whom both values clash or maybe there is another word that won't disrespect your values but helps the person know you care at the same time.

What is your happiness?

Edit.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
1. What do you mean by being happy for them as in how deep is your happiness for them?

I believe you can be happy in that you can appreciate and sympathetically (and empathetically to an extent) support another but I would be careful with that word.

2. Can you be happy for someone whose values and actions you disapprove of?

Happy to many is a superficial word and tolerance a bit more than that. Since actions speak louder than words (as they say), is it honest that you can be happy for a person with whom both values clash or maybe there is another word that won't disrespect your values but don't helps the person know you care at the same time.

What is your happinesS?
1: When i speak of happiness in this setting it means to feel it from within because knowing that what i can feel from my own experience within Sufism, others can find within their chosen religion or spiritual path. Listening to others who believe different than i do, and hearing (seeing in writing) how their inner happiness is growing them more they discover about them self, and the religious meanings they seeking.

2:Yes i can be happy for them too, If i could not be happy for them it would mean i judge my self as better than them, and that is something i would disaprove of my self. Do i sometimes judge? i can not say i am 100% judge free, but i working toward it.

I have also come to the conclution that others should be able to dislike my views, disagree with me or what i believe in, without I being the one calling them out for being bad toward me.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I am happy for all who have found their happiness, provided that happiness doesn't come from harming others.

If I couldn't be happy for people with different beliefs than me, that would cut down on my ability to be happy for most of the people in my immediate area, and what a miserable way of life that would be!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am happy for all who have found their happiness, provided that happiness doesn't come from harming others.

If I couldn't be happy for people with different beliefs than me, that would cut down on my ability to be happy for most of the people in my immediate area, and what a miserable way of life that would be!
Harming others for pleasure or happiness sound not good, there might be people who do it.
Hmmm can i be happy for them as human being, i think i can but to be happy of what action they do to others, that is to me also impossible or at least very difficult at this point in life. (and honestly not sure anyone should be happy by seeing someone hurting others)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Harming others for pleasure or happiness sound not good, there might be people who do it.
Hmmm can i be happy for them as human being, i think i can but to be happy of what action they do to others, that is to me also impossible or at least very difficult at this point in life. (and honestly not sure anyone should be happy by seeing someone hurting others)

I have found some who find happiness in hurting others who they perceive as being different in a certain way they find offensive(racism, homophobia, or strong dislike of a religious/irreligious system, etc), and at this point in my life I don't have it in me to feel happy for those that would cause another pain based on one of those things.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have found some who find happiness in hurting others who they perceive as being different in a certain way they find offensive(racism, homophobia, or strong dislike of a religious/irreligious system, etc), and at this point in my life I don't have it in me to feel happy for those that would cause another pain based on one of those things.
You touching in to some very strong emotions with the choices of what is offensive :) I think but not know, that being happy for any human being no matter who they are could be possible, but i also think it is important to say or explain why their action, words or thoughts about others is not good.

I am very aware that in the past i was considdered a homofobic person, but i have worked deeply with my own views and arguments from that time, and i realize that i did fall flat on my face every time when i was homofobic.
In danger of repeating my self: Who am i to judge those who are homosexual? or any other sexual gender that contadict my own gender?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
1: When i speak of happiness in this setting it means to feel it from within because knowing that what i can feel from my own experience within Sufism, others can find within their chosen religion or spiritual path. Listening to others who believe different than i do, and hearing (seeing in writing) how their inner happiness is growing them more they discover about them self, and the religious meanings they seeking.

I think what I'm asking goes deeper than this, to tell you honestly.

I'd say if you're happy for someone you'll support that person in their happiness.

If you can't support them because their values differ (or like above give drugs to a druggie), it sends conflicting messages of "how" you are happy for someone you don't support.

In other words, if your values differ than the other, your level of happiness helps you but sends mixed messages to the other party.

Using "you" in the general sense not you specifically.

2:Yes i can be happy for them too, If i could not be happy for them it would mean i judge my self as better than them, and that is something i would disaprove of my self. Do i sometimes judge? i can not say i am 100% judge free, but i working toward it.

Why would judgement be the opposite of happiness?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You touching in to some very strong emotions with the choices of what is offensive :) I think but not know, that being happy for any human being no matter who they are could be possible, but i also think it is important to say or explain why their action, words or thoughts about others is not good.

I am very aware that in the past i was considdered a homofobic person, but i have worked deeply with my own views and arguments from that time, and i realize that i did fall flat on my face every time when i was homofobic.
In danger of repeating my self: Who am i to judge those who are homosexual? or any other sexual gender that contadict my own gender?

Yes, I think when I say this, I mean I cannot be happy if a(for example) a racist person is happy because they are finding pleasure in the denial of decent treatment of another person because of their race. That doesn't mean I can't be happy for them because they bought a new puppy. Sometimes when you can find out why a person holds a detrimental view, you can better demonstrate why its harmful, and sometimes eliminate it.

Too often people hate another because of fear or upbringing. Honestly, my dad was a racist while I was growing up. He grew up in a rural Midwestern town, where the attitude was prevalent. While I was growing up, my best friend was of another race. I remember he made a racist comment towards her once, and I turned around and socked him in the face. It might have made me feel better for a moment, but did that make him less racist? Nope. What did make him realize the error of him ways? Increased interaction with her and seeing first hand what a kind person she was. He said he was moved to tears when he was talking with her one day and saw how wrong he'd been(though he didn't admit that for some years to come).

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think what I'm asking goes deeper than this, to tell you honestly.

I'd say if you're happy for someone you'll support that person in their happiness.

If you can't support them because their values differ (or like above give drugs to a druggie), it sends conflicting messages of "how" you are happy for someone you don't support.

In other words, if your values differ than the other, your level of happiness helps you but sends mixed messages to the other party.

Using "you" in the general sense not you specifically.

Why would judgement be the opposite of happiness?
My answer may come short according to what you actually asked due to that i am still working on this topic within my self, i belive there is a form of unconditional love or happiness for every human being within us, and at the moment i am digging deeper and deeper within my own being to find those deeper answers (did this sound to complicated? )

In this setting i was only speaking of judgment toward my own being, not about judment of others.
To me: judment is a negative charged word, and i try avoiding it. And happiness is a positive charged words that reflects more of whom i am becoming.

Your questions making me have to digg deep within my own being to find a good enough answer, because i find your questions very good. I am happy (pun not intended) that you take your time to ask your questions, because it show me where i have to do more research within my self :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Conscious thoughts

Yes, I think when I say this, I mean I cannot be happy if a(for example) a racist person is happy because they are finding pleasure in the denial of decent treatment of another person because of their race.

I think this is what I'm getting at. You can be happy for a person, but (imo) if that person is happy about something contrary to your morals, there would be a problem.

For example, if I supported a racist person "because" I'm happy for her that would be against my morals. So, I wouldn't be happy for her (support her), but that doesn't mean I will judge her on a personal/human level just if her actions hurt others, that's where judgement comes in.

Unless sufism doesn't have moral boundaries (?) I would say is similar in context. Many people who are not happy for others of different beliefs just means they feel happiness means they are supporting them. If they believe the other is immoral based on his or her beliefs, why be happy for him. Respect, yes. Non judgmental, of course. Maybe sympathy. But happy?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Conscious thoughts

I think this is what I'm getting at. You can be happy for a person, but (imo) if that person is happy about something contrary to your morals, there would be a problem.

For example, if I supported a racist person "because" I'm happy for her that would be against my morals. So, I wouldn't be happy for her (support her), but that doesn't mean I will judge her on a personal/human level just if her actions hurt others, that's where judgement comes in.

Unless sufism doesn't have moral boundaries (?) I would say is similar in context. Many people who are not happy for others of different beliefs just means they feel happiness means they are supporting them. If they believe the other is immoral based on his or her beliefs, why be happy for him. Respect, yes. Non judgmental, of course. Maybe sympathy. But happy?
In sufism it is many morally guidelines and scriptures of how to live (on a personal level) But it is also very clear that we should not judge others by our standards if they follow an other religion or spiritual path. then one would have to know and understand the moral codes in that religion and see if the person follow it. then we can say, this person is doing something less morally due to what the teaching they follow say they should/would be better off doing.

Sufism is more about purifying once own being than making critique of other, because one day other will find fault in our own way of life, and we get it back at us. So know one self to understand others.

When speaking of racism or homofobic people one have to ask, why do they hold this view? and if one want to help them, it may help to ask them about why they see other people the way they do, instead of first telling them "your view is wrong"
To understand others we must listen to their story, to learn why they think as they do. then it is ok to ask are you sure it is a good thing to call others by those racistic terms you use, or what make you feel those homosexual people are so bad?

This (in my understanding) gives the other person a chance to answer or explain why they think or act as they do, without being judged from the first moment we meet them.

(i do not say my thoughts have to fit others who read this. feel free to disagree with me)

Last edited: