• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Festivus

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Today, December 23rd, is Festivus - a holiday for the rest of us.

What is the provenance of this holiday? As explained in a 1997 episode of Seinfeld, Many Christmases ago, George's father Frank Costanza went to buy a doll for his son. He reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As Frank rained blows upon him, he realized there had to be another way, something less commercial and religious. The doll was destroyed, but a new holiday was born: a Festivus for the rest of us.

So Happy Festivus, all, as we wheel out our aluminum poles from the crawl space, air our grievances (“I got a lot of problems with you people ! And now you’re gonna hear about it !”), sit down to a traditional meat loaf and peas holiday dinner with assorted dysfunctional family members and other random misfits, report various mundane miracles ("How did you know I was here" "Kramer told me" "Another Festivus miracle !"), and perform feats of strength culminating with a guest pinning the head of the household in a wrestling match (Let's rumble !):

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Why would a pole need to be aluminum? That's clearly a heretical notion as my reading of scripture indicates. The one true pole is gold which is out of touch of the heathen and ordinary worshipers. Only those who are truly blessed can be cleansed so they can touch the pole and offer up blessings on the pole's creator.

Jumi

Here's an idea what to have for food that will please even the vegans celebrating festivus

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, happy Festivus to you and y'all.

And I'll take this chance to wish you and y'all a happy Christmas too, since Christmas is what my tribe does every year ─ the Feast of Be Excellent to One Another, by whatever name called.

Today is also HumanLight, a contrived secular humanist holiday of recent origin.

It's been an unusually eclectic holiday season for us. Last Friday was a Hanukkah dinner, Wednesday was a winter solstice celebration (a day early), tonight is a Festivus outing, Monday is a Christmas party, and Tuesday a boxing day party (with Canadian friends - I don't really know what that is).

But we've only scratched the surface:

Happy Amaterasu, Merry Beaivi Day, Happy Brumalia, Merry Choimus, Merry Christmas, Happy Dongzhi, Happy Devorius Riuri, Merry Deygan, Happy Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, Happy Dong Zhi, Happy Festivus, Merry Goru, Merry Grianstad an Gheimhridh, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Hogmanay, Happy HumanLight, Merry Inti Raymi, Happy Jonkonnu, God Jul, Merry Kaleda, Merry Korochun, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Lussi Night, Merry Modresnach, Happy Pancha Ganapati, Merry Rozhanitsa Feast, Happy Sanghamitta Day, Io Saturnalia, Merry Seva Zistane, Merry Shabe Celle, Happy Solar New Year, Happy Soyal, Happy Winter Solstice, Merry Wayeb, Happy Yalda, Happy Yule, Happy Zagmuk, and Merry Ziemassvetki.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Random aside, I forgot Commandant Spangler from Malcolm in the Middle was in Seinfeld!!

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
HumanLight, a contrived secular humanist holiday of recent origin.

Happy Amaterasu, Merry Beaivi Day, Happy Brumalia, Merry Choimus, Merry Christmas, Happy Dongzhi, Happy Devorius Riuri, Merry Deygan, Happy Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, Happy Dong Zhi, Happy Festivus, Merry Goru, Merry Grianstad an Gheimhridh, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Hogmanay, Happy HumanLight, Merry Inti Raymi, Happy Jonkonnu, God Jul, Merry Kaleda, Merry Korochun, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Lussi Night, Merry Modresnach, Happy Pancha Ganapati, Merry Rozhanitsa Feast, Happy Sanghamitta Day, Io Saturnalia, Merry Seva Zistane, Merry Shabe Celle, Happy Solar New Year, Happy Soyal, Happy Winter Solstice, Merry Wayeb, Happy Yalda, Happy Yule, Happy Zagmuk, and Merry Ziemassvetki.
It's all about goodwill, inclusion, decency, kindness, generosity, and in my tradition a certain degree of intoxication to make it all swing.

Yea!