• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happiness Is...

allfoak

Alchemist
A state of mind?
Do we have control over our state of mind?

Definition of state of mind
: a person's emotional state : mood
  • He's in a bad/good state of mind.
Is happiness just a thought away, or do our circumstances control our state of mind?

fbc3311f32f5a2ca6394746aa24e0725--charlie-brown-peanuts-the-peanuts.jpg

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A state of mind?

Is happiness just a thought away, or do our circumstances control our state of mind?

This is happiness: Parabheda Sutta
Its good when read as a whole

Inner peace, security, freedom of expression, and meaningful work

When I first heard the word happiness used, I didnt know what that was. Then I saw this:

I figured maybe I should look into it. They look so happy.

Last edited:

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
A state of mind?

Is happiness just a thought away, or do our circumstances control our state of

Living as peacefully and awake as possible in each moment. Which is always under our control through our state of mind.

And sweet grand babies.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
A state of mind?

Any lasting happiness has to be founded from within, if it is subject to external criteria such as the circumstances of ones life it will come and go with the tides, basically. You have to detach from your ego and desires to separate from the roaring sea of emotion and hyperactive thoughts, and manifest only your intrinsic self. Admittedly, this is easier said than done but where you have desire you have frustrations created when those desires are not panning out. If you act for the sake of the good of others in every sense, and have no expectation reward for yourself you can be happy 100% of the time. The short of it is, move from thinking you must create your joy and sit back and enjoy the ride. :D

Your happiness doesn't have to be found, just realized. It's always with you, if you seek it.

ajay0

Happiness as in pleasure comes with contact with sense-pleasures and avoiding that which gives pain. But this is obviously of a temporary duration. It is thus dependent on external circumstances or experiences.

You can enjoy a tasty dish or have a great musical experience. But several of it and you will feel saturated and not able to gain any more pleasure from it. One then starts looking for other sensory experiences with the same result later on.

Bliss on the other hand does not depend on external circumstances but on Self-knowledge. In the state of thoughtless awareness or no-mind, bliss is self-generated.

The most beautiful moments in your life – moments of bliss, moments of joy, moments of ecstasy, moments of utter peace – were moments when you were not thinking about anything. You were just living.
~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Stop Thinking Yourself Out of Life