• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hanuman and Ganesha on the same body?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Guys (and Gals) take a look at this picture I found! I've never seen or heard of such a thing!

hanuman-ganesh-dpf-3220.jpg

Are there sects that see Ganapati and Hanuman as the same? So interesting, maybe just a product of artistic inspiration?

WOW!

I am going to bed, full of awe!

OR may be, a Vedicist would say:
DYAVAPRITHVI?
Heaven (Ganesha) and Earth (Hanuman) combined?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
I found a little more info here:

Rare forms of Hanuman

Great website, here OP: (From the website Shivohamji posted)

Half Ganesha and half Hanuman
At Madya Kailas temple Adyar Madras

The idol is an amalgam of Sri vigneshwara and Sri Anjaneya on the lines of Ardhanareeswara ( Siva and Parvati) and Sri Sankaranarayana (combination of Siva and narayana).

The word Aadiyantha stands for 'begining to end' (Aadi - begining & Antha - end). There is a Tamil saying 'Begin with Ganesa and end up with Anjaneya'. Many people visit the temple to get blessing of the 'Twins' against the influence of Navagrahas. The importance of the idol is that Sri Vigneswara and Sri Anjaneya are the only two deities who are totally free from any influence over them whatsoever by the Navagrahas. It is believed that, the devotees can and do influence the Navagrahas themselves proportionate to the devoutness with which the devotees address themselves to Sri Aadiyanta Prabhu!

Such variations are not fluke, and prove the origins of Hindu Dharma to be in the South. One cannot fail to notice the richness and depth of Hindu spirit found in the temples of TamilNadu.

I wonder if there is a murthy/image depicting Ganesha and Murugan playing together? Or the artists here on the forum have to look into that?:eek:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Such variations are not fluke, and prove the origins of Hindu Dharma to be in the South. One cannot fail to notice the richness and depth of Hindu spirit found in the temples of TamilNadu.

I wonder if there is a murthy/image depicting Ganesha and Murugan playing together? Or the artists here on the forum have to look into that?:eek:

Well, there's this :)

images

He loves his brother :)

Thank you Shivoham! The picture is more than what I imagined. Wonder I never came came across this earlier, during my childhood.

Do you have anymore information regarding this picture?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I heard before about this murti but didn't had the chance to find so much information ! Thank you very much about this !
I'll try to look to find some more

Aum Namah Sivaya

Shivoham ji

Do we have anything like Kali and Ganesha together? On the face of it, this sounds highly unlikely. May be because Kali Ma is depicted in one form only: with a khadga, on a rampage: not quite homely for a Devi!

Still, perhaps, may we find something in South Indian temples?

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Still, perhaps, may we find something in South Indian temples?

I think it's very unlikely, as other (and some local) forms of Devi are worshipped in the south. I think Kali is more popular around north.

I haven't heard about another male/female mix apart for Ardhanarishwara :0 It would be very interesting to see if any other depiction like this exist !
After all, Sri Ganesh have females depictions too

Aum Namah Sivaya

Vanakkam,

I think it's very unlikely, as other (and some local) forms of Devi are worshipped in the south. I think Kali is more popular around north.

I haven't heard about another male/female mix apart for Ardhanarishwara :0 It would be very interesting to see if any other depiction like this exist !
After all, Sri Ganesh have females depictions too

Aum Namah Sivaya

I will disagree perhaps, there are indeed ancient temples of Kali (like here or this).

Outside South, we find that each region has kind of chosen one or other Deity from the pantheon as their main Ishta. Like Ganesha in Maharashtra, Kali in Bengal, Krishna in Gujarata, Shiva in Kashmir, Ram in UP, etc.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Oh, Sri Ram is very popular in UP than in other states, is it?

I wish I were in UP then :).

Vanakkam,

Thank you very much, I didn't know that ! I'll try to see that the next time I come in the south.

Aum Namah Sivaya
Then you should not miss the mainstay Southern Devi, Mariyamman, because she bears a close resemblance to Kali. Actually it will be a big fallacy to assume a non-Vedic or a superimposed-Vedic hypothesis for the Southern Deities. Mariamman in her depiction certainly seems to be more original and wholesome than the northern unidimensional depiction of Kali.

Oh, Sri Ram is very popular in UP than in other states, is it?

I wish I were in UP then :).
Caught me there:D
I will stick to that, however, we can base our judgement on the number of temples devoted to the Deity in question, which I feel (yes no data:confused:) is higher for Sri Rama than any other Deity (again not sure about Hanuman Ji:confused:) in UP.

Last edited:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
मैत्रावरुणिः;3460191 said:
Lord Shri Ram is more popular in Gujarat than in UP.

Somehow I have a feeling down South Sri Vishnu's avataras aren't as popular as Sri Vishnu himself - there are many, many temples dedicated to Sri Vishnu in his various forms such as Srinivasa, Sri Ranganatha, and so forth but not as many to Ram, or Krishna - actually Sri Krishna might be a bit more famous down South than Rama himself.

I wonder if this is the same condition with South Indian style temples abroad. I live near Sri Lakshmi Temple in Ashland, MA and it is a South Indian style temple where one can find Hanuman but no Ram.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Somehow I have a feeling down South Sri Vishnu's avataras aren't as popular as Sri Vishnu himself - there are many, many temples dedicated to Sri Vishnu in his various forms such as Srinivasa, Sri Ranganatha, and so forth but not as many to Ram, or Krishna - actually Sri Krishna might be a bit more famous down South than Rama himself.

I wonder if this is the same condition with South Indian style temples abroad. I live near Sri Lakshmi Temple in Ashland, MA and it is a South Indian style temple where one can find Hanuman but no Ram.

Do you remember what Karunanidhi said about Lord Shri Ram? What are your views?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
मैत्रावरुणिः;3460314 said:
Do you remember what Karunanidhi said about Lord Shri Ram? What are your views?

I only heard what he said about Sri Rama - that Sri Ram was a 'drunkard' or something like that. Atleast Sri Rama was never a 'hypocrite' - Karunanidhi has so much hate-speech against gods and brahmanas in storage, but everyone in his family stand first in front of the gates of god seeking his mercy for their own success in life. Additionally, he (Karunanidhi) doesn't seem to spare Jyotisha sastra either, it is said he wears Yellow scarf around as it is supposed to bring him good luck, astrologically!

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I only heard what he said about Sri Rama - that Sri Ram was a 'drunkard' or something like that. Atleast Sri Rama was never a 'hypocrite' - Karunanidhi has so much hate-speech against gods and brahmanas in storage, but everyone in his family stand first in front of the gates of god seeking his mercy for their own success in life. Additionally, he (Karunanidhi) doesn't seem to spare Jyotisha sastra either, it is said he wears Yellow scarf around as it is supposed to bring him good luck, astrologically!

Tamil Nadu BJP Division should send Karunanidhi to a long lost island filled with cannibals. That should shut him up. Muahahaha!