• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hands up who believes in the Trinity!

Ronald

Uncertaindrummer said:
So? Who claimed there needed to be?
ME!

Answer for yourself, trinity, God breathed, or manmade?

Since you chose not to answer, MANMADE!!!!!!!!

There is a penalty to pay for "False Teachings". Believe whatever, just the teaching is the problem.

But, you're forgiven! I forgot! Christians claim to be forgiven there past, present and future sins, therefore perfect in your lawlessness. LOL:woohoo:

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
jgallandt said:
Both Michel And Scott, Thank You! The 1st time the trinity appeared together was when Jesus was Baptized. In Matthew, 3/16-17.... 16. After Jesus was baptized, he came up from the water and behold, the heavens were opened (for him), and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove (and) coming upon him. 17. And a voice came from the heavens, saying "This is my beloved Son, with whom I an well pleased."

Well said..Im in total agreement :D

blueman

God's Warrior
I believe in the Trinity, but I also believe that trying to rationalize it in a secular way will more than likely lead most people to the conclusion that it is not true. There are still many things that are mysteries when it comes to God and will not be revealed to us while we are on this earth. I don't have any problem believing that there are three Spritual beings of God, God The Father, God The Son and God The Holy Spirit, all with the same power, no one greater than the other and all with the same essence and spiritual characteristics. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jgallandt said:
Both Michel And Scott, Thank You! The 1st time the trinity appeared together was when Jesus was Baptized. In Matthew, 3/16-17.... 16. After Jesus was baptized, he came up from the water and behold, the heavens were opened (for him), and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove (and) coming upon him. 17. And a voice came from the heavens, saying "This is my beloved Son, with whom I an well pleased."
I'm not sure how these verses support the doctrine of the Trinity, provided you are speaking of the Trinity as described in the Nicene and Athanasian Creeds. If anything, it refutes this doctrine. How can the Father, Son and Holy Ghost possibly all be a part of the same substance or essence if the Father (whom you believe, I would suppose, to be a personage of spirit only) spoke from Heaven spoke in reference to His Son, who was obviously a man with flesh and bones who was walking the earth? God is either corporeal or non-corporeal. He is not both at the same time. He is either everywhere at once or physically in one specific location. He isn't both simultaneously. No one -- not even God -- is His own Son and His own Father. The Father, Son and Holy Ghost are distinct personages whose "oneness" is described in the Bible as being in will, purpose, glory and power. Nowhere in the Bible is their "oneness" even vaguely alluded to as being physical in nature, which is what the creeds imply.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
blueman said:
I don't have any problem believing that there are three Spritual beings of God, God The Father, God The Son and God The Holy Spirit, all with the same power, no one greater than the other and all with the same essence and spiritual characteristics. :)
Hi, blueman.

What is God's "essence"?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Katzpur said:
I'm not sure how these verses support the doctrine of the Trinity,.. If anything, it refutes this doctrine. How can the Father, Son and Holy Ghost possibly all be a part of the same substance or essence if the Father (whom you believe, I would suppose, to be a personage of spirit only) spoke from Heaven spoke in reference to His Son, who was obviously a man with flesh and bones who was walking the earth? God is either corporeal or non-corporeal. He is not both at the same time. He isn't both simultaneously. Nowhere in the Bible is their "oneness" even vaguely alluded to
Read just the 1st 14 verses in the Gospel of John. The 1st verse states "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." This here describes the 1st 2 parts of the trinity. It clearly states that Jesus was with God and he WAS God. And why can God not be both? (Corporeal)

stemann

Time Bandit
Read just the 1st 14 verses in the Gospel of John. The 1st verse states "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." This here describes the 1st 2 parts of the trinity. It clearly states that Jesus was with God and he WAS God. And why can God not be both? (Corporeal)
I like that quote, even though I don't believe in God, because I heard once that the translation of 'Word' came from 'logos' which can mean word or logic or- to an extent- truth. The trinity is not three separate things (but you all probably know that), it's just three parts of God. The Father is the creator and protector, the Son is Jesus who saved us and did all the miracles and things, and the Holy Spirit is God in us, our consciousness and conscience.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jgallandt said:
Read just the 1st 14 verses in the Gospel of John. The 1st verse states "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." This here describes the 1st 2 parts of the trinity. It clearly states that Jesus was with God and he WAS God.
I agree. Jesus (the Word) was "with God" in the beginning. He also "was God." But being "with" someone certainly implies a relationship. The word means "being together, in the company of, alongside of, close to or near to" It would be impossible to be together, in the company of, or alongside oneself. If the Son and the Father were one single substance, the word "with" would make no sense whatsoever.

And why can God not be both? (Corporeal)
Because "corporeal" means "consisting of material substance, being physical or tangible." He either is or He isn't.

Pah

Uber all member
..1st 14 verses in the Gospel of John. The 1st verse states "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." This here describes the 1st 2 parts of the trinity. It clearly states that Jesus was with God and he WAS God. And why can God not be both? (Corporeal)
Logos is the Greek word used for "Word" and the overwhelming sense of that in the New Testament is just plain "word". It seems that the "Word" as Christ is a late poetic addition not justied. In one case, Christ uses "logos" and the context does not support him speaking of himself.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Pah said:
Logos is the Greek word used for "Word" and the overwhelming sense of that in the New Testament is just plain "word". It seems that the "Word" as Christ is a late poetic addition not justied. In one case, Christ uses "logos" and the context does not support him speaking of himself.
How ever you wish to define the 'Word' his meaning IS Jesus. Jesus was with God and Jesus IS God. Being human, we cannot fully understand this, but through faith, we accept this.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
And let me add this. The Gospel was about Jesus, it would make no sense for The Word to mean anything else other then Christ. EDIT: Also in the 2nd verse it states "He was in the beginning with God. Notice the word He, Not It.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Katzpur said:
I agree. Jesus (the Word) was "with God" in the beginning. He also "was God." But being "with" someone certainly implies a relationship. The word means "being together, in the company of, alongside of, close to or near to" It would be impossible to be together, in the company of, or alongside oneself. If the Son and the Father were one single substance, the word "with" would make no sense whatsoever.

Because "corporeal" means "consisting of material substance, being physical or tangible." He either is or He isn't.
I respectfully disagree. With God, anything is possible. ;)

Pah

Uber all member
jgallandt said:
How ever you wish to define the 'Word' his meaning IS Jesus. Jesus was with God and Jesus IS God. Being human, we cannot fully understand this, but through faith, we accept this.
Your meaning is confirmed by the exegesis from Bible Gateway
The plainest reason why the Son of God is called the Word, seems to be, that as our words explain our minds to others, so was the Son of God sent in order to reveal his Father's mind to the world.
So if this is true and not a man made interpreation, it sure does throw out all of the Old Testament. Was God lying to the Jews? Where is the Holy Ghost in all of that? If the "Word" was to mean a personification, that verse would cast doubt on the Holy Spirit as not being part of God.

But I draw your attention to the commentary from Bible Gateway "seems to be".

The King James Version has that translated as
2The same was in the beginning with God.

You will also have to explain why in the immediate verses following Christ suddenly becomes the "Light"

And why the flesh of Jesus came from the Word, and not yet Christ, occurs later. If the "Word" was God and was with God, then the begetting of the flesh of Jesus was later.

There is too much there to just rely on an instance of "he".

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Tackle one thing at a time here. Light was a reference to what Jesus was to man. Man was in darkness with no hope of reaching God. Jesus is the light that leads up to God.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I don't believe it throws out the Old Testinent, and I don't understand why you think that. As far as the Holy Spirit, there are verses in the OT, (don't have my Bible with me, on the road right now.) where certain people where filled with the Spirit. I'm not that 'studied' on the OT. I've read it, but have concentrated more on the New Testinent.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jgallandt said:
I respectfully disagree. With God, anything is possible. ;)
That's the best cop-out answer I've heard yet. ;) In other words, it's all a mystery and since He doesn't really want us to understand anyway, we can throw out all logic and say He has two opposing qualities. (At least you "respectfully" disagreed. What more can we ask of one another?)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Katzpur said:
That's the best cop-out answer I've heard yet. ;) In other words, it's all a mystery and since He doesn't really want us to understand anyway, we can throw out all logic and say He has two opposing qualities. (At least you "respectfully" disagreed. What more can we ask of one another?)
I was attempting to be nice. Why should God be limited to our physics and our understanding? God made the rules, but that does not mean he himself is limited to that. You must expand your mind to what is possible for God, not us. And do you not agree that God can do what ever he wishes, without limitations?

Scott1

Go jgallandt:jiggy:

Go jgallandt:jiggy:

Don't let the "cop out" digs get you down.... your charity speaks loud and clear....

In the name of the Divine Trinity!
Scott