• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hamilton County (TX) May Install Ten Commandments Monument Outside Courthouse

Skwim

Veteran Member
In which case angered citizens may exercise the right of the sledge hammer---actually, I'd like to see the thing put up just to see it torn down.

"For some reason, the commissioners in Hamilton County, Texas think it’d be a great idea to install a stand-alone Ten Commandments monument outside the local courthouse, despite a very clear Supreme Court ruling that says that very thing is an illegal promotion of Christianity.

There’s already an “In God We Trust” sign outside the courthouse which skirts the boundary of church/state separation but has traditionally been on the “legal” side of it. The Ten Commandments one, however, would cross that boundary without question.

TenCommHamiltonCountyTX-350x350.png

When the commissioners met this week, the discussion went in the wrong direction when a local judge cosplaying Roy Moore insisted there was nothing wrong with the potential Christian monument.

“I have no problem bringing it before the court and the will of the people in my opinion will be served,” County Judge Mark Tynes said.

“There have been those who waved the Constitution at me and I said, ‘OK wonderful, show me in the Constitution where what we are doing is against the Constitution?’”

It’s in the amendments somewhere. One of the first few, I think. Pretty early in the bunch.

Christ, that man is a judge…"
source

What is it, the water they drink down south?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
In which case angered citizens may exercise the right of the sledge hammer---actually, I'd like to see the thing put up just to see it torn down.

"For some reason, the commissioners in Hamilton County, Texas think it’d be a great idea to install a stand-alone Ten Commandments monument outside the local courthouse, despite a very clear Supreme Court ruling that says that very thing is an illegal promotion of Christianity.

There’s already an “In God We Trust” sign outside the courthouse which skirts the boundary of church/state separation but has traditionally been on the “legal” side of it. The Ten Commandments one, however, would cross that boundary without question.

When the commissioners met this week, the discussion went in the wrong direction when a local judge cosplaying Roy Moore insisted there was nothing wrong with the potential Christian monument.

“I have no problem bringing it before the court and the will of the people in my opinion will be served,” County Judge Mark Tynes said.

“There have been those who waved the Constitution at me and I said, ‘OK wonderful, show me in the Constitution where what we are doing is against the Constitution?’”
It’s in the amendments somewhere. One of the first few, I think. Pretty early in the bunch.

source
Is it a municipal or county courthouse. Because they Establishment Clause does not apply to municipal or county governments.

Darkforbid

source

Why are you against everything Christian?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Who incited this problem?

There wouldn't be a problem if religionists kept their religion in their safe place, church. Now would there?
Tom

That's like saying violence on LGBT wouldn't be a problem if LGBT people weren't LGBT.

Nice victim blaming bra.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's like saying violence on LGBT wouldn't be a problem if LGBT people weren't LGBT.

Nice victim blaming bra.
B.S.
If queer folk try to get special, extra-Constitutional, rights I'd be opposed to that as well

"Victim Blaming":rolleyes:
You poor poor persecuted WASP heterosexual males!
Tom

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
B.S.
If queer folk try to get special, extra-Constitutional, rights I'd be opposed to that as well

"Victim Blaming":rolleyes:
You poor poor persecuted WASP heterosexual males!
Tom

Let go of the hate Tom before it consumes you.

The Reverend Bob

"Municipalities aren't governed by the Constitution" is one of the newest dodges I've seen.
I'm old, I thought I'd seen them all. But dang, the religious bigots always have a new one up their sleeves!
Tom
Not saying that. I am saying that the Clause does not apply to municipal or county governments, it only apply to the federal government by virtue of the 1st amendment and to states by virtue of the 14th

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not saying that. I am saying that the Clause does not apply to municipal or county governments, it only apply to the federal government by virtue of the 1st amendment and to states by virtue of the 14th
So be clear.

Do you think local government is restricted by the US Constitution, and the couple of centuries of legal opinions since.
Or do you think that they can do whatever they want, without regard for constitutional law?
Tom

The Reverend Bob

Do you think local government is restricted by the US Constitution
Local government is restricted in some things but not all things by the Constitution. There is nothing in the language of the Clause that says it applies to local governments and federal and state jurisdiction over them can only go so far.