• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hallowing your ritual space with the hammer?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just a little confused if I am supposed to wave the hammer over my altar area before I do my mini-blót, which is actually little more than pouring a libation and saying prayers. I have a "Hammer Hallowing" prayer I plucked off the 'net, but I don't know if that's for personal use or for a community blót.

Sees

Dragonslayer
A lot of us do with a ritual mjölnir or pendant if it's all that is handy, more so hallowing the offering than repeatedly hallowing the altar area :D

There is other fancy things like carrying fire around 3-9x sunwise/clockwise for initial hallowing of an area that goes back to ancient times and into other Indo-Euro traditions. I would say follow your gut if you want to redo your altar area or other space now and then.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of us do with a ritual mjölnir or pendant if it's all that is handy, more so hallowing the offering than repeatedly hallowing the altar area :D

Yes, that's what I mean. Each time I do an offering, I would raise the hammer over the altar and repeat that prayer. I finally got the hammer I ordered. There were problems with shipping. That's the hammer I would use.

There is other fancy things like carrying fire around 3-9x sunwise/clockwise for initial hallowing of an area that goes back to ancient times and into other Indo-Euro traditions. I would say follow your gut if you want to redo your altar area or other space now and then.

That's a good idea. I have not done that yet, I just jumped into doing offerings. Fortunately I feel a peacefulness in the house, so at this point I don't think that's necessary. I'll do that if I feel something is going awry.

Thanks. :)

Attachments

• Brass hammer1.jpg
    Brass hammer1.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 55