• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hair....

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
It kind of freaked me out about the post, should i cut my hair. first of all you dont need to cut your hair when its like this:
Picture3.jpg

it freked me out because for one thing if people think thats long, well im in a lot of trouble. im not allowed to post a picture of myself (mom and dad) on the internet but from the back my hair is like about this (some random guys pic off google images, an example) if i pull it back:

feb05.jpg

and im only 14. so why the big deal. the point of this is to ask, why is it so socially unacceptable to people for men to wear their hair long. that is just the way i like it and people seem to have a problem with it.

Cerrax

That One Guy
Its been a problem with me too and my hair isn't even that long! It only comes to my shoulders! People usually associate long hair on guys as a sign of rebellion, angst and just generally unadult-like and unprofessional behavoir. Kind of like a dude with a Harley leather jacket is automatically assumed to be a bad-@ss biker with tattoos and some slutty woman hangin off of him. Society's stereotypes suck.

evearael

im not allowed to post a picture of myself (mom and dad)
They are wise in this respect.
the point of this is to ask, why is it so socially unacceptable to people for men to wear their hair long. that is just the way i like it and people seem to have a problem with it.
Social acceptibility changes drastically over time. Don't let the current whims of society dictate your hair's length. Your hair looks cared for, thus it is fine.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
~Lord Roghen~ said:
im not allowed to post a picture of myself (mom and dad) on the internet but from the back my hair is like about this if i pull it back:

feb05.jpg

and im only 14. so why the big deal. the point of this is to ask, why is it so socially unacceptable to people for men to wear their hair long. that is just the way i like it and people seem to have a problem with it.
I don't see it as socially unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned, it's simply a matter of taste. Personally, I don't care for long hair on men, but that's just me. I've got to admit, though, that this particular head of hair is gorgeous, shiny and well-groomed. I just have a hard time imagining a guy's face on the other side of it. ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
~Lord Roghen~ said:
it freked me out because for one thing if people think thats long, well im in a lot of trouble. im not allowed to post a picture of myself (mom and dad) on the internet but from the back my hair is like about this if i pull it back:

feb05.jpg

Working on your Sephiroths costume, I see? :D

Keep it up, LR, you're halfway to my hair, and 1/3 to my daughter's.

I mourned so much when my husband cut his hair that he grew a beard to shut me up.

He once threatened to shave. I threatened to cut my hair really short. That was over a decade ago, and the subject has never been raised again. ;)

P.S. Your folks are right about not putting the pics up.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
so why the big deal. the point of this is to ask, why is it so socially unacceptable to people for men to wear their hair long. that is just the way i like it and people seem to have a problem with it.
Considering my dad did say I look like a girl in public, its got me abit p***y. Thought about leaving him at the hospital when he has surgery next week. I think it is just his problem, but I can't help but wonder.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
~Lord Roghen~ said:
It kind of freaked me out about the post, should i cut my hair. first of all you dont need to cut your hair when its like this:
Picture3.jpg

it freked me out because for one thing if people think thats long, well im in a lot of trouble. im not allowed to post a picture of myself (mom and dad) on the internet but from the back my hair is like about this (some random guys pic off google images, an example) if i pull it back:

feb05.jpg

I don't think it is a big deal.

Some guys ROCK long hair. Just like some girls ROCK short hair.

When it comes to personal preference...I don't think there should be rules unless of course, you chose a profession for yourself which mandated that you be clean shaven and cropped.

I think it totally depends on the individual...their hair...their facial features...

I agree with Enhanced Spirit...I've always been attracted to guys with long hair (and those with short too :)).

Who cares what "society" thinks...if you rock it...ROCK it with pride!

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I love men with long hair. Don't know why. Tarzan was the first one to catch my eye when I was a little girl, after that, it was the hippies and the indians.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
EnhancedSpirit said:
I love men with long hair. Don't know why. Tarzan was the first one to catch my eye when I was a little girl, after that, it was the hippies and the indians.

LOL! :D

Matt88

yes, cut your hair. I remember when i had long hair, i liked it until i got mistaken for a girl one time. the stuff is hard to clean and always gets in my damn face, its infuriating when i try to read or anything, so one day i just cut it off, have had short hair ever since, and i love it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Shadow Wolf said:
Considering my dad did say I look like a girl in public, its got me abit p***y. Thought about leaving him at the hospital when he has surgery next week. I think it is just his problem, but I can't help but wonder.

Nah, don't just leave him at the hospital. There's that bit about honour your father, whether you're religious or not. You wouldn't be here except for him. He's probably put up with a few of your foibles. It's not such a big deal to put up with one of his, eh?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Matt88 said:
yes, cut your hair. I remember when i had long hair, i liked it until i got mistaken for a girl one time. the stuff is hard to clean and always gets in my damn face, its infuriating when i try to read or anything, so one day i just cut it off, have had short hair ever since, and i love it.

I guess I'll just be the advocate for long hair today...

I don't see why society should assume that if someone has long hair they are a girl anyway. P-E-T-T-Y!:cheer:

If someone loves their long hair...male, female or otherwise...who cares what someone else thinks?

"Society" and its standards can be a pain in the rear anyhow.

Cerrax

That One Guy
I've been mistaken for a girl a few times. My friend's mom called me a girl, a waitress at a resturaunt called me a girl. It's always fun to see their reaction when I speak or turn around and they see a 20 year old guy's face or hear a 20 year old guy's voice.

It doesn't bother me though. And if you have long hair, it eventually gets trained to stay out of your eyes. I brush mine the same way every day and I have no problem with my hair getting in the way. Its so used too being brushed back that it just stays like that!

When we say "society" we mean usually older people and sometimes MUCH older people. I know a lot of older guys who have long hair from ages 12 to 84. Most people are from a generation where long hair on men was acceptable, and so its not really an issue anymore, except within individual families or sections of the world.

I got verbally attacked by my fiance's step-grandfather for having long hair. He kept yelling at me about how if I ever wanted to work for him, he would never hire me until I cut my hair (the guy is a freakin lawn care guy so its not like its some big corporate job or something where I may need to look good). In his defense, he was pretty drunk so maybe it was just the alcohol talking :D

Like I said, I've never found it to be an issue except around my parents and older relatives. And they get used to it. My mother hated my hair for like 9 months. Now she even comments on how good my long hair looks with the recent bleaching I did! People come around, so don't worry. They'll adjust.

M

Majikthise

Cut your hair you hippy!!!
I keep my head buzzed, it makes me run faster!:slap:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i like my hair at shoulder length, and i want it to grow a bit more.... and no, no one has really had the guts to come and ask me to have it cut yet ;)

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Hey, I'm all for going against stereotypes (see my profile page for a pic of my haircut). :D Bottom line: if you like it, keep it. It's your head, it's your hair - you're the one who has to look after it and wear it every day. Do what you want with it. :shrug:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Put it this way, it looks a darned sight better than mine did as a sort-of-would-be-hippy in the late sixties; I shudder when I see that.

One of my older sons has a friend with hair like that, and usially weard it as a pony tail. The first time I saw him after it had been cut.....well, he just wasn't the same guy...........

I don't think it's bad to grow you hair, as a fashion statement......a bit like tatoos and piercings.

Even now, I have to have my hair cut very short, because, if I didn't, it would end up looking like the pic you have shown Ugh! I have hated curly hair & all I ever used to hear women say was "You're so lucky, I wish mine was like that."

The grass is always greener...........