• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

haile selassie was a orthodox christian

dave6

if Haile selassie was a christian then why do some rastas put down christianity?
many rastas i meet consider themselves to be christian and rasta at the same time but i have met ratas with so many different ideas and takes on the faith. any input or ideas on this?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Looking at this socio-politically:

I would say there is generally a reaction to Western European Christianity.

On the other side of things, there are many Rastas who are Friendly with and/or member of The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, where Christianity has existed since Christianity has existed.

So maybe this helps you understand what I mean about WEC vs EOTC?

Rastafari doesn't have a finite structure, it's a very personal endeavour.
And in that, there is a lot of breathing room.

dave6

Looking at this socio-politically:

I would say there is generally a reaction to Western European Christianity.

On the other side of things, there are many Rastas who are Friendly with and/or member of The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, where Christianity has existed since Christianity has existed.

So maybe this helps you understand what I mean about WEC vs EOTC?

Rastafari doesn't have a finite structure, it's a very personal endeavour.
And in that, there is a lot of breathing room.

i know what you mean pertaining to western christianity versus eastern i follow the eastern orthodox faith. I find that many rastas in Jamaica are very educated about the eastern Orthodox faith but as the movement has spread there have been pockets who seem to despise christianity in general. these people seem to lack the understanding that bob marley before his death converted to eastern christianity and that all of the founders of the rasta ideas were christians themselves to it kind of frustrates me when i meet this specific breed of rastafari that hates christianity in a general sense.