• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hadith

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi,
I have some more questions please.
I'd like to know the place of Hadith in the life of an ordinary Muslim. Are they collected in books that would be read by most Muslims? Do you learn them in a mosque?
I have heard that not all Hadith are equal - how do ordinary Muslims tell? Is one's own conscience the main guide still?
Thanks
SW

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Hi,
I'd like to know the place of Hadith in the life of an ordinary Muslim.

The Hadith is so important in the Muslim's life, for Islam is based on both the Quran and the Hadith and both are inseperable. We cannot understand the Quran without the Hadith. The Quran is the message and the Hadith is the explanation of the message by the Messenger. Without the Hadith we cannot know how to perform the pillars of Islam: paryers, fasting, paying the Zakah (poor due) and make pilgrimage to Makkah. These pillars and other commands are mentioned in the Quran but the Hadith explain and illustrate them.
Allah says in the Quran:
[And We have revealed unto thee the Remembrance that thou mayst explain to mankind that which hath been revealed for them, and that haply they may reflect.] (An-Nahl 16:44)
[And We have revealed the Scripture unto thee only that thou mayst explain unto them that wherein they differ, and (as) a guidance and a mercy for a people who believe.] (An-Nahl 16:64)

StephenW said:
Are they collected in books that would be read by most Muslims?

Yes the Hadith is collected in books. The most authentic books are the Sahihs of Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

stephenW said:
Do you learn them in a mosque?

One can learn them in a mosque, or a school/university or Islamic centers...

stephenw said:
I have heard that not all Hadith are equal - how do ordinary Muslims tell? Is one's own conscience the main guide still?

I believe this link will answer you question. If not please let me know.

Collecting the Hadith: Brief History

Thank you for your questions :)

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
Dear stephenw,
Hadith is a very big science in Islam. Not all the Ahadith are valid ones though.

Through out history, many tried to collect the authentic ahadith (the plural of hadith) into books, and categorized them according to the degree of authenticity.

Hadith are the quotes of the prophet Mohamed (pbuh), and sometimes the tales of his life.
As we are ordered by Allah to follow the prophet in his way of living, a normal muslim should try as much as he could to apply Ahadith into his daily life.

Many of the scholars' books such as Al Bukhary and Muslim are considered valid sources for authentic Ahadith. For example, Al Bukhary used to approve a hadith only when he could find six different persons who knew it already. Similarly, the criteria they used to consider a hadith as "authentic" was pretty much percise and accurate.

As muslims, we should follow both Quran and ahadith, and scholars nowadays work mainly on solving our problems in that context.

.lava

Veteran Member
Hi,
I'd like to know the place of Hadith in the life of an ordinary Muslim. Are they collected in books that would be read by most Muslims? Do you learn them in a mosque?
Thanks
SW

sayings of Mohammad (PBUH) would never contradict with Qur'an. a Muslims should always search Qur'an and take Qur'an one and only source with no false information in it. if hadith contradicts with it he should chose Qur'an over hadith. guide is Qur'an.

i like Kudsi Hadiths. i love Mohammad (PBUH). real hadiths are always enlightening. we're sometimes, while we study verses, reminded of some hadiths that match with verses we read. and sometime we do the exact opposite. we read verse and we are told some hadith that contradicts it.