• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hadith Authenticity

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm sure that this has been addressed more than once, but would you please tell me how one determines the authenticity of a given Hadith?

Thanks, and ...
Salaam / Shalom​

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi Jay, and welcome to Islam DIR. :)

If you wish to personally know if it's authentic or not you can run a google search on one of the hadith database available online.
Example: Authentic Hadith Foundation | Filtering out what the Prophet

But if you want to know how would scholars determine if it's authentic or not then this is how it's done.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadith_studies
Hadith terminology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope that answered your question, otherwise, feel free to ask for clarification.

Union

There is no canonized science of determining a Hadith to be authentic or not . Scholars in this field tried to filter the authentic Hadith from the fabricated ones as per their best knowledge , which is of course mortal and fallible .

Two biggest fractions in Islam , e.g., Shia and Sunni never agree with definition of authentic Hadith . Sahih Bukhari , which is deemed to be 100% authentic for Sunni Islam , is regarded a heresy for Shia Islam and vice-versa . Even in between the same sect , there is a difference of opinions among the scholars to define a hadith authentic .

The whole Muslim nation agree on the authenticity of only one book and that is the Qur'an , the holy scripture of Islam .