• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guys, which Final Fantasy game should I start with?

Euronymous

SSilence
Which Final Fantasy game (specifically 1-10) should I start with?

Final Fantasy.jpg

Shad

Veteran Member
FF4/2 and 6/3 Jap/NA on Playstation Store. FF7 remake if those two games and FF7 original are too dated for you.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Which Final Fantasy game (specifically 1-10) should I start with?

View attachment 20867
If you have an American console/access to the PS2 version of FFX, then I highly recommend going with the PS3/4 remastered edition, as that (and not the American PS2 version) contains all the post-game content such as the dark aeons, which give a healthy dose of satisfaction once you actually beat them because you'll be able to mop the floor with the final bosses and the dark aeons will still be one-and-two hit killing you, and you'll need to complete at least most of the advanced sphere grid (something the original American PS2 also lacks), even with modifying some of the spheres into more powerful spheres and filling in blank spheres, if you want to even have a hope or prayer at beating the dark aeons.
I also find X to have one of the most enjoyable stories, one with some pretty good and in-depth philosophies (especially if you play this game while being prescribed medications that make your dreams so vivid you have a hard time remembering if something happened in a dream or in "real life").

I'd just start on FF1 and work my way of up games.
^That. And also decide how much completion you want ahead of time. If all you want is the main story, then per game it won't take too long--especially if you learn the game breaking methods such as how to exploit/take full advantage of the junction system on FFVIII--but if you want to fully finish the game then plan on spending some serious time on most games.
FF4 and 6 Japanese version with translations if you use roms and emulators.
Do remember, you have to actually own a physical copy of those for them to be legal/able to be mentioned here on RF.
FF7 remake if those two games and FF7 original are too dated for you
Sadly, that hasn't been released yet.

Phantasman

I used to be a Final Fantasy/Phantasy Star/Ultima/Might and Magic fan. Before that, text adventures were big (Zork).

I kind of moved away from turned based fighting, as most are going to real time fighting, first person style. (Oblivion/Skyrim style). But I see strategic turn based coming back somewhat.

Depending on the console, I don't know if they make the first FF for, say, and XBox, 360, or One like I have, So you may be limited to 7 made for Playstation, P3, P4.

Unless you can find it on Steam and the like for streaming play, 6 and before might prove difficult. You then get into the Nintendo platform.

Final Fantasy started to become available to XBox (360) platforms with FF11.

Good luck. They are all good games, though dated before 7. But hey, it was a few years back I enjoyed the nostalgia of playing Legend of Zelda original.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The redwoods. Awesome realism you can almost smell the trees, it's so life like and the temperature changes and everything like you are right there. The simulations are the best.
View attachment 20879
I've both been to the redwoods multiple times and played a number of final fantasy games (though they're not really my cup of tea.)
It's possible to do both things.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Except for the one where Una becomes Brittany Spears.
Definitely. X-2 was terrible, and Yuna transformed into a total whiny ***** of a pop star. I could see the events of X unfolding and turning the X-2 Yuna into the X Yuna, but most definitely not the other way around.

M83

Too busy staring at my shoes
Definitely. X-2 was terrible, and Yuna transformed into a total whiny ***** of a pop star. I could see the events of X unfolding and turning the X-2 Yuna into the X Yuna, but most definitely not the other way around.

They replaced Lulu with Paine. :mad:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The first time Yuna appeared in Final Fantasy that was probably my favorite version. So many people were swept away when it came out. So full of heart and feeling, it was a beautiful well-written story and stayed with me long after I've completed it. That's why I loved Final Fantasy so much. It was a very special game to me. My heart literally sank when I saw what they've done to her character. It was awful and I felt they destroyed one of the best characters ever to appear in Final Fantasy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The first time Yuna appeared in Final Fantasy that was probably my favorite version. So many people were swept away when it came out. So full of heart and feeling, it was a beautiful well-written story and stayed with me long after I've completed it. That's why I loved Final Fantasy so much. It was a very special game to me. My heart literally sank when I saw what they've done to her character. It was awful and I felt they destroyed one of the best characters ever to appear in Final Fantasy.
It was such a disgrace to the character. Out of all the things they could have done with her, like make her into a religious leader and/or teacher, a roaming sage, or even open an orphanage for the children who's parents died in the war against Sin (and all orphans because you know she wouldn't turn them away), where they went with her was more tragic than the totality of all the tragic elements in X combined.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
You said 1-10, and this is a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I really liked 13. The story is pretty good, which kind of makes up for the fact that the first 8 chapters or so are completely linear. But after those, the story really kicks into overdrive.