• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guru Nanak sahib

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Greetings to All :)

Guru Nanak s Gurpurab ie birthday is on 10 th November .

So this thread is dedicated to the founder of Sikhi :)

When the child Nanak came of age, a huge ceremony was made in honor of him.
In the Ceremony the priest was to give him a thread that was imbued with mantras. He was supposed to wear this thread his whole life and it would help him meditate. If it ever broke he would get another special thread to put on so he would always have the rememberance of God.

His father called the whole family, their friends and guests to participate in this holy ceremony. It was a very elaborate scene. Nanak always wondered why people do all kinds of ceremonies and rituals when God is inside our hearts. The child Nanak was rebelious and wise, so he refused to put the thread on. He told the priest that he could always remember God without any thread no matter how special it was. "Why don't I meditate on God in my heart? That won't ever break!"

Guru Nanak sahib said the following words to preist

ਦਇਆ ਕਪਾਹ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸੂਤੁ ਜਤੁ ਗੰਢੀ ਸਤੁ ਵਟੁ ॥
Make compassion the cotton, contentment the thread, modesty the knot and truth the twist.

ਏਹੁ ਜਨੇਊ ਜੀਅ ਕਾ ਹਈ ਤ ਪਾਡੇ ਘਤੁ ॥
This is the sacred thread of the soul; if you have it, then go ahead and put it on me.

ਨਾ ਏਹੁ ਤੁਟੈ ਨ ਮਲੁ ਲਗੈ ਨਾ ਏਹੁ ਜਲੈ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
It does not break, it cannot be soiled by filth, it cannot be burnt, or lost.

ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁ ਮਾਣਸ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜੋ ਗਲਿ ਚਲੇ ਪਾਇ ॥
Blessed are those mortal beings, O Nanak, who wear such a thread around their necks.
(Guru Granth Sahib)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I want to go to gurdwara bhai!
I'm nervous though. Gurpurabs are always so full! :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
i feel ,everyone there will be amazed by your Knowledge of Gurbani !

Never skip Langar ,Ok :)
I'm shy, so I think I will end up going quiet. :D If I can, I plan on going today! Degh teg fateh!

But of course; never skip langar. ;)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I wanted to go to one, but they never replied to my e-mail. And is langar everyday? At what time?
This generally depends on the location and size. It may be worth telephoning them in the morning to find out. Emails can be lost in spam, forgotten to be replied to, and so on.

Most of the ones I live in are open from 4am - 11pm, or 6am to 9pm, or so every day. If there's only a small one near you, it may only be open Fridays and on Gurpurabs.

Marco19

Researcher
It's really nice opportunity to meet my Sikh friends again,
but unfortunately i'm at work today... so i'll try to go on Sunday for a Parkash.
Thanks for reminding :D

cuppycakee
do not rely on e-mails, i did so long time ago and wasted time just waiting for respond.

Gursikh ji, can you tell us if there is/are special activities this day, or reading particular texts from the SGGS.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
It's really nice opportunity to meet my Sikh friends again,
but unfortunately i'm at work today... so i'll try to go on Sunday for a Parkash.
Thanks for reminding :D

cuppycakee
do not rely on e-mails, i did so long time ago and wasted time just waiting for respond.

Gursikh ji, can you tell us if there is/are special activities this day, or reading particular texts from the SGGS.

hello dear Marco :)

Reading of Guru Granth Sahib ji done as normal , but following Shabad from Varan Bhai Gurdass ji is recited specially on this day .these varan are not in Guru Granth Sahib ,but respected by Sikhs .

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਿਆ ਮਿਟੀ ਧੁੰਧੁ ਜਗਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਹੋਆ।
With the emergence of the true Guru Nanak, the mist cleared and the light scattered all around.

ਜਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੂਰਜੁ ਨਿਕਲਿਆ ਤਾਰੇ ਛਪਿ ਅੰਧੇਰੁ ਪਲੋਆ*।
As if at the sun rise the stars disappeared and the darkness dispelled.

ਸਿੰਘ ਬੁਕੇ ਮਿਰਗਾਵਲੀ ਭੰਨੀ ਜਾਇ ਨ ਧੀਰਿ ਧਰੋਆ।
With the roar of the lion in the forest the flocks of escaping deer now cannot have endurance.

Last edited:

Marco19

Researcher
hello dear Marco :)

Reading of Guru Granth Sahib ji done as normal , but following Shabad from Varan Bhai Gurdass ji is recited specially on this day .these varan are not in Guru Granth Sahib ,but respected by Sikhs .

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਿਆ ਮਿਟੀ ਧੁੰਧੁ ਜਗਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਹੋਆ।
With the emergence of the true Guru Nanak, the mist cleared and the light scattered all around.

ਜਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੂਰਜੁ ਨਿਕਲਿਆ ਤਾਰੇ ਛਪਿ ਅੰਧੇਰੁ ਪਲੋਆ*।
As if at the sun rise the stars disappeared and the darkness dispelled.

ਸਿੰਘ ਬੁਕੇ ਮਿਰਗਾਵਲੀ ਭੰਨੀ ਜਾਇ ਨ ਧੀਰਿ ਧਰੋਆ।
With the roar of the lion in the forest the flocks of escaping deer now cannot have endurance.

My dear friend thanks for informing,
it seems powerful , i like both sun and lion examples, and actually i've searched the wiki and some other sources but couldn't find the book in english, just some parts.
so do you mind guiding me to the link where i can find the entire book.

Thank You