• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guru Nanak Dev Ji & Chaitanya Mahaprabhu

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
I have read some books which talk of Guru Jis meeting with Chaitanya, thats is very interesting. I think it was in Jagannath Puri.

Is there still a specific sect which has Chaitanya as its 'Guru'?
Do any of the Granths related to Chaitanya talk about any such meeting?

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Okay so his school/sect is Gaudiya Vaishnavism. Any chief place of worship, number of followers?

Yogi1054

Shakti
Hi

Have a look in 'The yoga of Kirtan' by Steven Rosen

On page 167 he interviews Snatam Kaur and they talk about Guru Nanak and Chaityana dancing in Puri - Chaitanya Bhagavat written by Ishvara Das

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Satnam ji

I have read some books which talk of Guru Jis meeting with Chaitanya, thats is very interesting. I think it was in Jagannath Puri.

what did you resd , were these from the Sikh perspective ?
if so I should be very glad to read them , ....

Is there still a specific sect which has Chaitanya as its 'Guru'?
Do any of the Granths related to Chaitanya talk about any such meeting?

Jai Jai , ....yes Guru Nanak ji is mentioned when we talk about the passtimes of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu , ...and yes there are many maths still in existance the largest which is most well known is ISKCON but there are many outher branches of Gaudiya Math which have now spread throughout the world .

if you would like to read how the story is told from the Gaudiya perspective please see the page link below , ....

Guru Nanak’s meeting with Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabu | Gaudiya History

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I see that Sri Guru Nanak was born in 1469, and Chaitanya Mahaprabhu in 1486. Guru Nanak was 15 years elder to Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
If I am not mistaken Punjabi or Sikh manuscripts are silent about the script, however some Sikh scholars discovered Oriya manuscripts from the 16th and 18th century which shed lights on the meetings, so thats where we Sikhs base ourselves on too.

Here are some 'Sikh' perspectives altough I have found some errors and the description of the meeting is mostly based on oriya sources but here you go:

Meeting between Guru Nanak and Chaitanya | Search Sikhism Home Page

Dont know why but it feels good to know that my (our) Guru met your Guru :)