• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guru in Sadhna

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I am thinking to do a sadhna, I know mantras and whole method of sadhna but I read that these sadhnas should be done only under supervision of Guru as in absence of guru devas do not accept your prayer. I tried to find Guru in my city but failed. However I found some gurus through internet but they give gurudikhsha through phone. (What do you think?? Is this effective??). So should I do sadhna on my own by considering kuldevi, Shankrachary, krishna or any other great personality as a guru?? Or I must take Gurudiksha first from any person.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am thinking to do a sadhna, I know mantras and whole method of sadhna but I read that these sadhnas should be done only under supervision of Guru as in absence of guru devas do not accept your prayer. I tried to find Guru in my city but failed. However I found some gurus through internet but they give gurudikhsha through phone. (What do you think?? Is this effective??). So should I do sadhna on my own by considering kuldevi, Shankrachary, krishna or any other great personality as a guru?? Or I must take Gurudiksha first from any person.

Personally, I wouldn't think the phone is effective for inititiation. There are a ton of sadhanas or practices that you can do without initiation that would be effective. What sorts of things interest you? A simple example would be to sit in one place the same time every day and chant AUM on a mala 108 times.

My personal idea is why don't you try a tradition and a sadhana first? When one enters into a tradition, some Dharma, they can know for sure that the sadhana is bona fide and guaranteed authentic.

They say that it's not that you will come to a guru, but a guru will eventually come to you. And all other cliches like that, lol.

Gurudiksha over phone is not the best, but many people still consider it proper transmission of Gayatri and other sacred mantras.

In my tradition, guru-diksha is integrally part of the Faith, but it is not a life-necessity over all. I know many Vaishnavas who have not taken (and will probably not) take diksha due to various reasons! But sadhana, whether with diksha or not, is important, I feel.

Good luck! Hare Krishna!

Last edited:

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Personally, I wouldn't think the phone is effective for inititiation. There are a ton of sadhanas or practices that you can do without initiation that would be effective. What sorts of things interest you? A simple example would be to sit in one place the same time every day and chant AUM on a mala 108 times.
I daily chant Gayatri mantra 1 rosary both morning and evening. But this is different case.It's actually a tantric sadhna of "Maa Baglamukhi". One of the ten Mahavidhyas of Tantra
bagalamukhi1.jpg

My personal idea is why don't you try a tradition and a sadhana first? When one enters into a tradition, some Dharma, they can know for sure that the sadhana is bona fide and guaranteed authentic.
I already did some sadhnas but they were vedic sadhnas but this is second time I am performing tantra sadhna.

They say that it's not that you will come to a guru, but a guru will eventually come to you. And all other cliches like that, lol.
I will wait for Guruji :D

Aum_425

Disciple
If you practice without initiation, initiation will eventually come to you. If you don't practice ... who's to say?

The Gods and Goddesses accept any offering with devotion. Krishna did not say "I will bless anyone who offers me a leaf and a drink of water ... IF they have initiation" :p

Practice, learn, and worship as you see fit; if you truly want it, the Guru will come. :)

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
If you practice without initiation, initiation will eventually come to you. If you don't practice ... who's to say?

The Gods and Goddesses accept any offering with devotion. Krishna did not say

Practice, learn, and worship as you see fit; if you truly want it, the Guru will come. :)
One can easily move in Bhakti path without Guru but path of Tantra cannot be covered without Guru. It's very dangerous to perform tantric rituals without guidance of guru. :)

"I will bless anyone who offers me a leaf and a drink of water ... IF they have initiation"
Waiting for blessings :D
mojito-drink-straws-leaf_386631.jpg

Aum_425

Disciple
Haha. That water looks sooooo goooood!

But yes, there are definitely some practices which we want guidance for. Still, if we have Bhakti we will get our Guru, no?! :p

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Nmaste Sumit ji,

If you are practising tantra sadhana, then surely you need a Guru. Other sadhanas like doing japa can be done without initiation, though initiation will boost your progress.

the thing is that there are processes (kriyas), if not done correctly under guidance of a Guru, then what will you do if things go wrong?. In simple Japa which you do like chanting Gayatri mantra, mind calms down. You do not tune with any energy or expect kundalini to God. It is simple chanting where your mind will calm down if done with full surrender and faith. God's grace descends upon you. God and Guru are one and the same says Bhagavan Shiva in Guru Gita. Shiva Krupa means Guru Krupa. So if you want o do tantra sadhana, you pray to any form of God or to Lord Shiva to shower his grace and show you the correct way. Rest leave it to him. things will happen at proper time.

Initiation over phone does not sound good. One has to visit personally and the person should be selfless, else both you and your guru will undergo torture and will descend to a lower plane and will undergo endless suffering says Guru Gita.

So be careful, even if you get opportunity to meet a Guru, pray to God to show you correct way and pray that he/she be a genuine Guru, who only wants seekers to progress and nothing else.

Everytime you meditate, pray to God to show you direction.

No pain, no gain :)

Aum
Amrut

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Nmaste Sumit ji,

If you are practising tantra sadhana, then surely you need a Guru. Other sadhanas like doing japa can be done without initiation, though initiation will boost your progress.

the thing is that there are processes (kriyas), if not done correctly under guidance of a Guru, then what will you do if things go wrong?. In simple Japa which you do like chanting Gayatri mantra, mind calms down. You do not tune with any energy or expect kundalini to God. It is simple chanting where your mind will calm down if done with full surrender and faith. God's grace descends upon you. God and Guru are one and the same says Bhagavan Shiva in Guru Gita. Shiva Krupa means Guru Krupa. So if you want o do tantra sadhana, you pray to any form of God or to Lord Shiva to shower his grace and show you the correct way. Rest leave it to him. things will happen at proper time.

Initiation over phone does not sound good. One has to visit personally and the person should be selfless, else both you and your guru will undergo torture and will descend to a lower plane and will undergo endless suffering says Guru Gita.

So be careful, even if you get opportunity to meet a Guru, pray to God to show you correct way and pray that he/she be a genuine Guru, who only wants seekers to progress and nothing else.
Thanks. :)

No pain, no gain :)
:yes:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram sumit ji ,

I know it is tempting to want start sadhana , but I would realy seriously recomend simple chanting , I would definately leave tantra untill you have a guru that will make the recomendation of the right practice for you . I certainly wouldnt suggest tantra without good instruction.

I am not sure that I would go anywhere near telephone gurus ??? a guru needs to know more about you , he needs to see you , observe your reactions and watch your progress , he will then want to talk to you inorder to make sure that your motivation is good before he will think to give diksha .

but you also need to listen to , and watch that guru , you need to be certain that that is the right guru for you . It is the most important relationship in your life so you want to be realy sure ,it is like getting married , it is a commitment for life . if you take the wrong guru it will be very hard to change direction and start allover again . a good guru will stop you from making many mistakes and will guide you all the way , a guru who has too many deciples and canot spend sufficient time with each deciple is not the best kind of guru and a telephone guru he canot spend any time with you , so I would realy worry about this .
you need to meet that preson , only then will you know if he is your guru . telephone contact might be ok once you know that person but otherwise I realy have my doubts .

but realy do not worry your guru will turn up when the time is right , just keep praying , he will come :namaste

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
namaskaram sumit ji ,

I know it is tempting to want start sadhana , but I would realy seriously recomend simple chanting , I would definately leave tantra untill you have a guru that will make the recomendation of the right practice for you . I certainly wouldnt suggest tantra without good instruction.

I am not sure that I would go anywhere near telephone gurus ??? a guru needs to know more about you , he needs to see you , observe your reactions and watch your progress , he will then want to talk to you inorder to make sure that your motivation is good before he will think to give diksha .

but you also need to listen to , and watch that guru , you need to be certain that that is the right guru for you . It is the most important relationship in your life so you want to be realy sure ,it is like getting married , it is a commitment for life . if you take the wrong guru it will be very hard to change direction and start allover again . a good guru will stop you from making many mistakes and will guide you all the way , a guru who has too many deciples and canot spend sufficient time with each deciple is not the best kind of guru and a telephone guru he canot spend any time with you , so I would realy worry about this .
you need to meet that preson , only then will you know if he is your guru . telephone contact might be ok once you know that person but otherwise I realy have my doubts .

but realy do not worry your guru will turn up when the time is right , just keep praying , he will come :namaste

+1 I agree

Aum