• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns in church

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're welcome to your own radical pacifism; but aren't justified in trying to push it on other people. Asking other people to roll over and die rather than defend themselves is not loving or kind.
Ironically, radical pacifists are willing to have a powerful
armed government keep guns from the rest of us.

Jeremiah Ames

I'm very attached to my flesh.
So I'm willing to use deadly force against
assailants who want to drain it. It's OK
with me if you don't value yours though.
I value mine considerably.
But not MORE than anyone else’s.

You cannot understand that concept. I’m sorry for that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....high fives and hardons attitude surrounding guns is disturbing; where people stroke their guns (decked out with chintzy "tacticool" gadgetry, of course) while fantasying about and actually hoping for a situation where they can justifiably blow someones brains out in a heroic Hollywood fashion.
That too is quite a fantasy.
Why is it that so many of you make gun ownership
into a sexual thing....& only a male sexual thing?

Jeremiah Ames

Ironically, radical pacifists are willing to have a powerful
armed government keep guns from the rest of us.
Are you spreading false soundbites? Umm, lies.

I have absolutely no problem with you or anyone else owning guns.
And you can own 100 of them for all I care.
I would actually be AGAINST a government trying to take them from you.

I have no evidence of a gun ever killing someone.
If someone has such, please share it.

It is NOT the guns that I am against.
You sure misread my thinking, regardless of what I say.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I value mine considerably.
But not MORE than anyone else’s.

You cannot understand that concept. I’m sorry for that.
It could be that I understand more perspectives than you do.
You might believe that an evildoer who'd kill you & rape your corpse
has just as much right to live as do you. But there are other views.
I say that anyone who physically threatens my life has lowered the
value of theirs to far below mine. And taking theirs in order to
preserve mine is both compelling & ethical.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you spreading false soundbites? Umm, lies.
Oh, that's an easy one.
No.
I have absolutely no problem with you or anyone else owning guns.
And you can own 100 of them for all I care.
I would actually be AGAINST a government trying to take them from you.

I have no evidence of a gun ever killing someone.
If someone has such, please share it.

It is NOT the guns that I am against.
You sure misread my thinking, regardless of what I say.
I'm not sure what I've posted that you're arguing against.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Atheists and non-Christians will of course have one point of view. Christians? It depends on how they interpret this:

Matthew 5:38-48 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That too is quite a fantasy.
Why is it that so many of you make gun ownership
into a sexual thing....& only a male sexual thing?

Because many gun owners themselves conflate it with macho posturing? And to straighten out your twist, I never said "gun ownership", but rather a specific mentality that's pervasive among gun ownership.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Atheists and non-Christians will of course have one point of view. Christians? It depends on how they interpret this:

Matthew 5:38-48 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."
Luke 22:36

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because many gun owners themselves conflate it with macho posturing? And to straighten out your twist, I never said "gun ownership", but rather a specific mentality that's pervasive among gun ownership.
Your case would be stronger without the sexism & sexualization.
Why sound like some of our more....uh.....special....posters?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Like a gun, both are tools used to save lives (albeit from very different situations, obviously), but we don't fetishize one like we do the other.

I've never said that those who've used deadly force to defend themselves or others from the same are bad/wrong/"evil", etc. but the high fives and hardons attitude surrounding guns is disturbing; where people stroke their guns (decked out with chintzy "tacticool" gadgetry, of course) while fantasying about and actually hoping for a situation where they can justifiably blow someones brains out in a heroic Hollywood fashion. It's the mentality more so than the gun that I find problematic.

And now for something completely different

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The circus du jour right now is the fact that some evil people murdered some other evil people with guns. In some locations in the media, this is being touted as a good thing. Obviously, anyone who’s only concern in this world is SELF, will join the ‘more weapons of death is better’ bandwagon.

We live in a dysfunctional world. Allowing more evil people more access to weapons of killing is not the answer to make the world better.

By the way, those of you who find pleasure in seeing gun toting church members murdering someone, think about this.

There are millions of people, mostly children DYING of malnutrition annually, and yet your great joy today is knowing that you can carry a murder weapon into a church, to MAYBE allegedly save yourself from the extremely rare chance that you will be involved in an attempted church attack.

This mindset is precisely a result of the abomination of desolation I wrote about yesterday.

Self defense is not murder. It's not a murder weapon if a murder hasn't been committed.

No pleasure in seeing anyone killed but those that survived the encounter were likely thankful that some fellow church goers brought their weapon with them on this day.

Guns don't make the world a better place but they can make it a safer place if the guns are treated with the respect they deserve.

I think gun ownership should require training and background checks. Misuse of firearms should have severe penalties.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you're going to accuse me of sexism, the least you could do is explain how exactly anything I said was sexist?
".... and hardons attitude...."
It wouldn't be so jarring if it weren't part of the larger picture
of anti-gun types continually making it about dissing masculinity,
& entirely ignoring female fans of guns.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
".... and hardons attitude...."
It wouldn't be so jarring if it weren't part of the larger picture
of anti-gun types continually making it about dissing masculinity,
& entirely ignoring female fans of guns.

To straighten another twist attempt, I've already stated before that what I'm talking about doesn't encompass all gun owners.

..and how in the hell have I "dissed" masculinity unless you consider puerile posturing an essential part of it? Those secure in their manhood feel no need for such silly nonsense.