• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns in church

Jeremiah Ames

The circus du jour right now is the fact that some evil people murdered some other evil people with guns. In some locations in the media, this is being touted as a good thing. Obviously, anyone who’s only concern in this world is SELF, will join the ‘more weapons of death is better’ bandwagon.

We live in a dysfunctional world. Allowing more evil people more access to weapons of killing is not the answer to make the world better.

By the way, those of you who find pleasure in seeing gun toting church members murdering someone, think about this.

There are millions of people, mostly children DYING of malnutrition annually, and yet your great joy today is knowing that you can carry a murder weapon into a church, to MAYBE allegedly save yourself from the extremely rare chance that you will be involved in an attempted church attack.

This mindset is precisely a result of the abomination of desolation I wrote about yesterday.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The circus du jour right now is the fact that some evil people murdered some other evil people with guns.

Why do you think the primal survival instinct is considered evil? I think it is good and it shows once again that our true nature wins out over the unnatural teachings of turning the other cheek and loving your enemies.
The families and loved ones of survivors are probably very relieved.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
jesusgun1a.jpg

Need I say more.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why do you think the primal survival instinct is considered evil? I think it is good and it shows once again that our true nature wins out over the unnatural teachings of turning the other cheek and loving your enemies.

Self defense, self preservation, etc. is good, but imagine if people started treating fire extinguishers like they do guns. It would look rather silly and bizarre, wouldn't it?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Yah... The genie is out of the bottle, and no one in this country really knows how to put it back in. Half the people don't see a problem with it, while the other half are scrambling around to try and find a solution without addressing the actual core issues. It'd almost be entertaining with how comical it is if it weren't for the grim implications for what the future will become.

Meanwhile, everyone else around the world are just watching us from the sidelines like someone watches a car wreck from the sidewalk.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
jesusgun1a.jpg

Need I say more.
You're close, but not quite. The Jesus that gun-loving Christians see in the Bible looks more like this, than the "hunting" Jesus above. Please note that look of love for his gun he has in those eyes of his? Or is he sussing out his target immigrant to send packing back to Mexico?
Jesus with gun 2.jpg

Jeremiah Ames

“Primal survival instinct”. You mean like animals?
Yep, we definitely agree on this one. Those church people were no better than animals.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The circus du jour right now is the fact that some evil people murdered some other evil people with guns. In some locations in the media, this is being touted as a good thing. Obviously, anyone who’s only concern in this world is SELF, will join the ‘more weapons of death is better’ bandwagon.

We live in a dysfunctional world. Allowing more evil people more access to weapons of killing is not the answer to make the world better.

By the way, those of you who find pleasure in seeing gun toting church members murdering someone, think about this.

There are millions of people, mostly children DYING of malnutrition annually, and yet your great joy today is knowing that you can carry a murder weapon into a church, to MAYBE allegedly save yourself from the extremely rare chance that you will be involved in an attempted church attack.

This mindset is precisely a result of the abomination of desolation I wrote about yesterday.
Guns save lives. Didn't you know that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're close, but not quite. The Jesus that gun-loving Christians see in the Bible looks more like this, than the "hunting" Jesus above. Please note that look of love for his gun he has in those eyes of his? Or is he sussing out his target immigrant to send packing back to Mexico?
View attachment 35941
My pic showed Western Jesus with a Winchester 1886
chambered for 45-70. It was a fine military rifle in its day.

dianaiad

Self defense, self preservation, etc. is good, but imagine if people started treating fire extinguishers like they do guns. It would look rather silly and bizarre, wouldn't it?

I have yet to see how a fire extinquisher could stop someone from murdering people, reliably.

I object highly to characterizing the folks who killed the shooters as 'murderers.' Self defense, and the defense of others, is NOT murder. Even Jesus said that greater love hath no man than he lay down his life for his friends...

I fail to see how stopping the guy shooting at your neighbor...however you do it...is a bad thing.

The only evil people in that incident were the two shooters who started the whole thing. Just how many people would you have figured was enough for them to kill before you thought it was a good thing for someone OUTSIDE that church to kill the murderers?

I would shoot the guy aiming at you.

Would you shoot the guy aiming at the six year old standing next to you?

Jeremiah Ames

Yah... The genie is out of the bottle, and no one in this country really knows how to put it back in. Half the people don't see a problem with it, while the other half are scrambling around to try and find a solution without addressing the actual core issues. It'd almost be entertaining with how comical it is if it weren't for the grim implications for what the future will become.

Meanwhile, everyone else around the world are just watching us from the sidelines like someone watches a car wreck from the sidewalk.
Guns save lives. Didn't you know that?
I have never seen a gun save anyone.

I have also never seen a gun kill anyone.

Anyway, I understand what you’re saying here.
I have yet to see how a fire extinquisher could stop someone from murdering people, reliably.

I object highly to characterizing the folks who killed the shooters as 'murderers.' Self defense, and the defense of others, is NOT murder. Even Jesus said that greater love hath no man than he lay down his life for his friends...

I fail to see how stopping the guy shooting at your neighbor...however you do it...is a bad thing.

The only evil people in that incident were the two shooters who started the whole thing. Just how many people would you have figured was enough for them to kill before you thought it was a good thing for someone OUTSIDE that church to kill the murderers?

Please. Don’t shoot the guy aiming a gun at me.

And , NO, I would not shoot the guy aiming a gun at a six year old, since I don’t own a gun.

You seem to be clinging to that flesh you’re carrying around as if it’s of ultimate importance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You seem to be clinging to that flesh you’re carrying around as if it’s of ultimate importance.
I'm very attached to my flesh.
So I'm willing to use deadly force against
assailants who want to drain it. It's OK
with me if you don't value yours though.

74x12

Please. Don’t shoot the guy aiming a gun at me.

And , NO, I would not shoot the guy aiming a gun at a six year old, since I don’t own a gun.

You're welcome to your own radical pacifism; but aren't justified in trying to push it on other people. Asking other people to roll over and die rather than defend themselves is not loving or kind.

By your reasoning even supporting the police who use deadly force when necessary is hypocrisy. We can't support any violence against criminals. They must be free to run rampant over peaceful people. Is that what you want?

Jeremiah Ames

By the way, where did you obtain that falsity in your head that Jesus advocates murder to protect others?
I hope you didn’t prooftext to support a false belief of YOURS.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Like a gun, both are tools used to save lives (albeit from very different situations, obviously), but we don't fetishize one like we do the other.

I've never said that those who've used deadly force to defend themselves or others from the same are bad/wrong/"evil", etc. but the high fives and hardons attitude surrounding guns is disturbing; where people stroke their guns (decked out with chintzy "tacticool" gadgetry, of course) while fantasying about and actually hoping for a situation where they can justifiably blow someones brains out in a heroic Hollywood fashion. It's the mentality more so than the gun that I find problematic.

Jeremiah Ames

By the way, where did you obtain that falsity in your head that Jesus advocates murder to protect others?
You're welcome to your own radical pacifism; but aren't justified in trying to push it on other people. Asking other people to roll over and die rather than defend themselves is not loving or kind.

By your reasoning even supporting the police who use deadly force when necessary is hypocrisy. We can't support any violence against criminals. They must be free to run rampant over peaceful people. Is that what you want?
Umm, I do not support our police forces armed greater than the military of many nations.
But you win. No words can alter those ideas you’re carrying around.
You will undoubtedly carry them with you to the grave.