• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gun shop billboard in NC mocks "The Squad"

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Be interesting to see if their sales picks up. If it does, I suppose it'll be a success. Political ramifications be Damned!

Women, black women in particular are the most prone to assault, sexual or otherwise and have represented a growing number of new gun purchasers in the last five or so years. Had these women on the billboard embraced the idea that no one, especially those mostly prone to assault should be denied or inhibited in their right to legally own something that might potentially save their lives or defuse a situation it might be better. Proper stress training will diminish any reluctance to pull the trigger if necessary in dire citcumstances.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Women, black women in particular are the most prone to assault, sexual or otherwise and have represented a growing number of new gun purchasers in the last five or so years. Had these women on the billboard embraced the idea that no one, especially those mostly prone to assault should be denied or inhibited in their right to legally own something that might potentially save their lives or defuse a situation it might be better. Proper stress training will diminish any reluctance to pull the trigger if necessary in dire citcumstances.
Is there a point to this post?
You seem to be implying that black women in NC might be more likely to buy a gun from Cherokee Guns because of this billboard.
That's not plausible, in my opinion.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Proper stress training will diminish any reluctance to pull the trigger if necessary in dire citcumstances.
This billboard and the business's ranty Facebook posts sure don't seem like the product of someone who's had "proper stress training."

Stanyon

WWMRD?
This billboard and the business's ranty Facebook posts sure don't seem like the product of someone who's had "proper stress training."

It does to me, it's over the top and cartoonish which shows a sense of humour. You don't actually believe they mean "literally the four horsemen" do you?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Is there a point to this post?
You seem to be implying that black women in NC might be more likely to buy a gun from Cherokee Guns because of this billboard.
That's not plausible, in my opinion.
Tom

I think you missed a few details

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's odd...going on about their racism, while
making racist jokes about their being inbred.
To modify a popular quote....
There are bad attitudes on both sides.
You say jokes about hayseeds is racism? Maybe that is the problem. Folks don't really understand what racism really is.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It does to me, it's over the top and cartoonish which shows a sense of humour. You don't actually believe they mean "literally the four horsemen" do you?
Metaphorically, not literally.

And the metaphor implies that he considers them to be literally evil people who will bring about something horrible.

... and therefore, we need guns.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You say jokes about hayseeds is racism? Maybe that is the problem. Folks don't really understand what racism really is.
Southern "hayseeds" are white folk, for whom the stereotype is being inbred.
When it's all about denigrating people of a particular race, it is indeed racism.
Wrongful beliefs & practices should be attacked...but beware becoming that
which is so righteously criticized.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Southern "hayseeds" are white folk, for whom the stereotype is being inbred.
When it's all about denigrating people of a particular race, it is indeed racism.
Wrongful beliefs & practices should be attacked...but beware becoming that
which is so righteously criticized.
I'm white. I'm not denigrating myself. I don't date from the family pool, however. Can't say that anyone thinks that most whites do. What I'm doing is poking fun at a stereotypical group. Like dumb blonde jokes. Or rich businessmen. Or saucy librarians. Are those racist in you mind? Do they practice systemic discrimination against blondes?

Do you consider those racism, and that jokes about inbreeding should be seen by everyone as being on the same level as saying on a billboard, "You can get Anti-Muslim bumper stickers for free if you prove you're not a Muslim-Loving liberal by eating a piece of bacon."? Are you saying you think comments like that are no worse? No, they are racist. They're hatred.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm white. I'm not denigrating myself. I don't date from the family pool, however. Can't say that anyone thinks that most whites do. What I'm doing is poking fun at a stereotypical group. Like dumb blonde jokes. Or rich businessmen. Or saucy librarians. Are those racist in you mind? Do they practice systemic discrimination against blondes?
On the internet, your race isn't known.
So employing racism to decry racism is still a faux pas.
I referred specifically to that context.
Do you consider those racism, and that jokes about inbreeding are on the same level as saying on a billboard, "You can get Anti-Muslim bumper stickers for free if you prove you're not a Muslim-Loving liberal by eating a piece of bacon."? No, that racism. That's hatred.
"Muslim" is not a race.
I'm not clear on what you're arguing here....is it to justify the racism used in criticizing racism?
And remember, I addressed a particular context.
As for hateful messages, I agree that those are wrong.

Last edited:

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Metaphorically, not literally.
And the metaphor implies that he considers them to be literally evil people who will bring about something horrible.
... and therefore, we need guns.

Weird, I saw it as a guy that made a funny sign according to his political disagreements, much like a giant Trump balloon with him in his underwear. We could say that those that created it are actually pedophiles who like to see a man baby hovering above them in a dirty diaper so they can masturbate to it correct?

"After seeing the Trump baby balloon hovering above me, I imagined his diaper filled with his excrement and I was in a constant state of sexual arousal for a complete week"
-James Johansen, anti-Trump

We can make up all types of realities

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Weird, I saw it as a guy that made a funny sign according to his political disagreements, much like a giant Trump balloon with him in his underwear.
Go check out the guy's Facebook page. He's serious... or is doing a very good job of trying to convince people that he's serious.

We could say that those that created it are actually pedophiles who like to see a man baby hovering above them in a dirty diaper so they can masturbate to it correct?

"After seeing the Trump baby balloon hovering above me, I imagined his diaper filled with his excrement and I was in a constant state of sexual arousal for a complete week"

You okay? o_O

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Weird, I saw it as a guy that made a funny sign according to his political disagreements, much like a giant Trump balloon with him in his underwear. We could say that those that created it are actually pedophiles who like to see a man baby hovering above them in a dirty diaper so they can masturbate to it correct?

Ya know, if signs like the billboard have literal meaning, then this popular
anti-Trump slogan must mean that anti-Trumpettes want to have sex with
him, or since the intent is hostile, they want to rape him.
phx_news_20160318_donaldtrumpfountainhills_melissafossum_015.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Do you think that billboard is the product of coherent thinking?
Quite coherent. Not that there is any validity to the billboard, but the owner of that,shop knows his customers. That billboard will appeal to them.

I have a cousin. At least when he was younger, even though he was a union worker and very pro union he was a gun owner and even more pro-gun. As a NRA member he bought into all of their paranoid fantasies. This ad would have struck home with him.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Quite coherent. Not that there is any validity to the billboard, but the owner of that,shop knows his customers. That billboard will appeal to them.

With what message? I've thought of 3 that would be (relatively) coherent ways to interpret the billboard:

- come buy a gun as a way to signal that you're not on the same side as these people.
- come by a gun so you're ready to assassinate these people.
- these people will make guns illegal, so come buy one while you can.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
With what message? I've thought of 3 that would be (relatively) coherent ways to interpret the billboard:

- come buy a gun as a way to signal that you're not on the same side as these people.
- come by a gun so you're ready to assassinate these people.
- these people will make guns illegal, so come buy one while you can.
All three might appeal to his customers. I am not supporting it at all, but I can see how it could be good marketing.