• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gun debate poll and privatizing the school system.

(Can choose more than one response)

• I am an American and I fear getting shot while going about my daily life.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I am an American and I don’t fear getting shot while going about my daily life.

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • I am not an American and I fear getting shot while going about my daily life.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not an American and I don’t fear getting shot while going about my daily life.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I think the solution to America’s school shooting problem is stricter gun legislation.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I think the solution to America’s school shooting problem is better security e.g. armed teachers

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I think the solution to America’s school shooting problem is privatizing the school system.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I think the solution to America’s school shooting problem is (other).

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters

Truth in love

We're too focused on school shootings and ignore all the other situations where kids are dying. If we were serious, we'd take a step back and look at preventing such deaths no matter where they occur and not just looking at a few, high profile cases.

over 4,300 young Americans died of firearm-related injuries in 2020.

According to the research - which was published this week in the New England Journal Medicine - the rise in gun-related deaths among Americans between the ages of one and 19 was part of an overall 33.4% increase in firearm homicides nationwide.
Over the same time period, the rate of firearm suicides in the US rose by 1.1%
Gun deaths were the leading killer of US children in 2020
Be the million a year we sacrifice in the baby butcher death cult it seems small.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you need a license to go to church? Talk to a friend? But a soda?

if you spill a soda, you are not likely to put someone else at risk.

You do have to have a license to drive a car because doing so puts others at risk and we want people who are driving to be trained in doing such.

You do need to have a license to use explosives because working with them puts others at risk and we want to be sure that people who do so have proper training.

You do need to have a license to do electrical work for others because doing so can put others at risk and we want to be sure those doing so have the proper training.

See the pattern?

Truth in love

If you or someone in your family is inclined towards violence to others, then I most certainly *do* have such a right.

But, if you are a member of a well-regulated militia and undergo regular mental health evaluation and keep your guns safely locked away, then I am OK with you having them at home.

This is not putting your family at risk. If anything, it is making sure they are not themselves at risk and are not putting others at risk.

you don’t get to decide how many guns I have, how I store them or if I get a mental health evaluation. My rights are mine and don’t need your permission.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
you don’t get to decide how many guns I have, how I store them or if I get a mental health evaluation. My rights are mine and don’t need your permission.

Yes, we do have such a right, just as we have the right to make sure you know how to drive a car safely before you start to drive. We have the right to make you take eye exams to keep a license to drive.

So, yes, we absolutely *do* have that right, whether you like it or not.

Truth in love

if you spill a soda, you are not likely to put someone else at risk.

You do have to have a license to drive a car because doing so puts others at risk and we want people who are driving to be trained in doing such.

You do need to have a license to use explosives because working with them puts others at risk and we want to be sure that people who do so have proper training.

You do need to have a license to do electrical work for others because doing so can put others at risk and we want to be sure those doing so have the proper training.

See the pattern?
Yes some control freak wants me to bow to them to live my life. I say again I don’t need your’s, their’s or anyone one else’s permission to exercise my rights.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes some control freak wants me to bow to them to live my life. I say again I don’t need your’s, their’s or anyone one else’s permission to exercise my rights.

But you do NOT have the right to put others in danger. And we, as a society, have the right to be sure that you are properly trained and mentally capable of using the weapons you own.

Truth in love

Yes, we do have such a right, just as we have the right to make sure you know how to drive a car safely before you start to drive. We have the right to make you take eye exams to keep a license to drive.

Where did you get the power to control my rights?

Truth in love

But you do NOT have the right to put others in danger. And we, as a society, have the right to be sure that you are properly trained and mentally capable of using the weapons you own.
Actually I do. Based on your argument my having a gun is a risk to others and I do have that right.

Truth in love

Where is this power listed. My right to keep and bare arms is clearly written in the Constitution of the United States.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Where did you get the power to control my rights?

The government has the power to protect the people. It does so by giving licenses to those operating dangerous things like care, explosives, and guns.

You do not have the right to own a howitzer, for example. You do not have the right to own C4. You do not have the right to own a cruise missile. You do not have the right to own a nuclear weapon.

Your rights are limited by the equal rights of others. And among those rights is the right to be sure that those operating dangerous items are well regulated.

Truth in love

The government has the power to protect the people. It does so by giving licenses to those operating dangerous things like care, explosives, and guns.

You do not have the right to own a howitzer, for example. You do not have the right to own C4. You do not have the right to own a cruise missile. You do not have the right to own a nuclear weapon.

Your rights are limited by the equal rights of others. And among those rights is the right to be sure that those operating dangerous items are well regulated.
Nice theory but the law says otherwise.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually I do. Based on your argument my having a gun is a risk to others and I do have that right.

You have the right to get training and evaluation to be able to own a gun. You should have more training and evaluation depending on the danger and power of the gun.

But, no, you do not have the free right to put others at risk.

Truth in love

You have the right to get training and evaluation to be able to own a gun. You should have more training and evaluation depending on the danger and power of the gun.

But, no, you do not have the free right to put others at risk.
Not sure what psycho authoritarian place you live or want to, but I’m a citizen of the USA. I don’t need any training, evaluation or you permission to buy, own or carry a gun, knife, bat etc.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Nice theory but the law says otherwise.

But it says so now because of changes to our vision of gun ownership that has happened only recently. Not that long ago, simple restrictions on gun ownership were common and accepted as reasonable by gun owners.

For example, to own a gun, you should be trained in safe use of that weapon. You should have a mental health evaluation to be sure you are competent and won't put others in danger. You should undergo a background check to be sure you have not previously committed violent crimes and that you have no orders of protection against you.

In other words, we have the right to ensure that you are not a danger to yourself and others.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure what psycho authoritarian place you live or want to, but I’m a citizen of the USA. I don’t need any training, evaluation or you permission to buy, own or carry a gun, knife, bat etc.

But you do to be able to drive a car. Why?

The laws in the US are messed up in this regard.

According to the Constitution, you have the right to be in a well regulated militia to own a gun.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Where is this power listed. My right to keep and bare arms is clearly written in the Constitution of the United States.

Yes, you have the right to join a well regulated militia and bear the arms (be in military service) and own guns subject to those rules.

Truth in love

But it says so now because of changes to our vision of gun ownership that has happened only recently. Not that long ago, simple restrictions on gun ownership were common and accepted as reasonable by gun owners.

For example, to own a gun, you should be trained in safe use of that weapon. You should have a mental health evaluation to be sure you are competent and won't put others in danger. You should undergo a background check to be sure you have not previously committed violent crimes and that you have no orders of protection against you.

In other words, we have the right to ensure that you are not a danger to yourself and others.

I stick with my rights don’t need your permission. Feel free to cite actual law to the contrary, but all I hear from you is you don’t like me being free to exercise my rights without jumping your hoops.