• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gullah Geechee community credited with “Kumbaya"

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm glad to have heard the origin of the song. I knew it was an African-American spiritual and was asking God for help, but I did not know its origin before now.

Gullah Geechee community finally credited with song “Kumbaya"

The story goes that Robert Winslow Gordon, a Harvard graduate who later became the first Head of the Archive of American Song at the Library of Congress, recorded the song in 1926. Henry Wylie was the singer and a member of the Gullah Geechee community. “Kumbaya” meant “Come by here” in Gullah and was a plea to God for help.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Great...just great....blaming black folk for that annoying ditty.
Now I know how to get your goat (but you can keep your haggis and bacon)

So this is for you with accompanying images that I hope affect you as you expect them to.

sooda

Veteran Member
I'm glad to have heard the origin of the song. I knew it was an African-American spiritual and was asking God for help, but I did not know its origin before now.

Gullah Geechee community finally credited with song “Kumbaya"

The story goes that Robert Winslow Gordon, a Harvard graduate who later became the first Head of the Archive of American Song at the Library of Congress, recorded the song in 1926. Henry Wylie was the singer and a member of the Gullah Geechee community. “Kumbaya” meant “Come by here” in Gullah and was a plea to God for help.

I thought everyone knew about Gullah and Geechee.