• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gujarat boy who topped class 12 boards with 99.9 per cent, decides to become a Jain monk

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Varshil Shah stating reasons behind this decision:
Varshil Shah while speaking about his decision said, "It was Kalyan Ratnavijaysuri Maharaj, my guru, who motivated me on this path. He is 32-year-old and had taken diksha himself around my age. When I spent time with him and got to know about his thoughts on contemporary issues and how Jainism is relevant, my resolve to cross over to the life of an ascetic became stronger."

Family background:
  • Shah and his family are followers of Jainism and live in simplicity. They follow the Jain principle of Jivdaya, or compassion for all living beings
  • Both his mother Amiben Shah and father Jigarbhai are income-tax official
  • His elder sister Jainini was earlier pursuing a career in chartered accountancy and had also scored 99.9 per cent in class 12 board examination
No television and refrigerator at home:
  • As reported by HT, the parents have put a restriction on the use of electricity as they believe that many aquatic animals are killed in the process of power generation*
  • The most shocking fact is that they haven't kept a television or a refrigerator at home
Gujarat boy who topped class 12 boards with 99.9 per cent, decides to become a Jain monk : News
Not something that I would approve of, but I have no locus-standi in the case. I can only report what happened.
* Also, I think, stale food may have developed bacteria. So no stale food avoids killing them.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
There is nothing wrong with his path in my eyes but I also think Jains are too strict on some things.

David1967

Premium Member
I would think it takes an immense amount of self discipline to follow this path.