• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guinea pigs

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Just wanted to say that guinea pigs make good pets from experience, and though these pictures aren't of mine, I wanted to show you some pictures of these creatures to show you their diverse range of appearances and what they look like:

849430-center-3.png

guinea-pig-px-2146091-900.jpg

images.jpeg

GuineaPig-TM.jpg

guinea-pig-px-237034-900-300x300.jpg

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Guina pigs tend to eat veggies, fruit, and guinea pig food. From experience, different guinea pigs can have slightly different preferences, I've had guinea pigs that loved bananas more than lettuce, loved lettuce more than bananas or carrots, and so on. They tend to get vocal with their whistling sounds they make and energetic when happy.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
When guinea pigs get anxious, such as from new environments, they also have a sound they make sometimes to signal that they don't like things. It's a rather deep sound that goes like this: "Buuuurrrrr...."

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
On average, the pet stores I have seen tend to sell guinea pigs for around $15 with everything else you need including cage, running an extra $35 total. My figures run toward the lower end, of course, since I live in an inexpensive area.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
When my male and female guinea pig had babies, there was produced a litter of 5 young ones. One had a birth abnormality but still lived a year.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When guinea pigs get anxious, such as from new environments, they also have a sound they make sometimes to signal that they don't like things. It's a rather deep sound that goes like this: "Buuuurrrrr...."
This is also the sound males make when they're.... amorous.
On average, the pet stores I have seen tend to sell guinea pigs for around $15 with everything else you need including cage, running an extra $35 total. My figures run toward the lower end, of course, since I live in an inexpensive area.
I'd prefer to get them from a shelter or a rabbit rescue organization. I don't want to promote commercial interests raising them for what is usually a short, miserable life. I'd also discourage keeping a solitary pig. They're social animals and are very unhappy living alone.

I've had giggle pigs on several occasions. They're cute, and make cute noises to greet you or to beg for food. Unlike dogs, cats or rats, though, they're not particularly affectionate, and don't tend to bond with their owners.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I haven't noticed this. They always wanted to greet me and sniff my hand (the guinea pigs I had did this).
Yes, they're friendly, and always looking for a handout, but they tend to be self-absorbed, and occupied more with their comrades than with bonding with a human.

Bear Wild

Yes, they're friendly, and always looking for a handout, but they tend to be self-absorbed, and occupied more with their comrades than with bonding with a human.
That seem a bit harsh. It is true my cats do not listen to me but show considerable affection just before feeding time. Just look at the entheusiam in one of my cats when I come home.

upload_2020-5-26_0-8-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-25_23-59-44.png
    upload_2020-5-25_23-59-44.png
    564.7 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2020-5-26_0-6-4.png
    upload_2020-5-26_0-6-4.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0