• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guardian Angels

Centi

My mother has several times said that she thinks her grand father is watching over her. She is not Christian at least not an active Christian. Don't think its uncommon the people believe that..

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am not sure this is always so.
Nor do it think it is a one to one thing.
One Angel could have an interest in one person or in many people.
also several angels and saints may show an interest in the well-being of one person.

I do not believe Angels and saints work independently of God.

FFH

Veteran Member
I believe that every person has their own guardian angel. What do you, as a Christian, believe?
According to the many NDE's (Near Death Experiences) I've read, our guardian angels are those who were closest to us on earth, who have died, for instance a brother, sister, father, mother, son, daughter, etc..

It's not uncommon for a child to die and become a guardian angel to a parent still living, or the other way around, of course..

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I was told by a psychic that my "main" guardian angel is a native american; but, that I have others - one of them being one who should have been a daughter to Marie and to me; unfortunately, she was mis-carried at a very early stage.

How I long to see her, and show the love I feel for her............

FFH

Veteran Member
I was told by a psychic that my "main" guardian angel is a native american; but, that I have others - one of them being one who should have been a daughter to Marie and to me; unfortunately, she was mis-carried at a very early stage.

How I long to see her, and show the love I feel for her............
Great story and you will see her and she is watching over you, of this I have no doubts...

Te Deum

Roman Catholic Seminarian
Theologically, each of us has a specific guardian angel to watch over us night and day (Ps 34:7, Mt 18:10, Ac 12:15), but what do we do concerning them? Do we ask for their guidance daily or ignore them? Everyday when we rise to go about our day and make a morning offering let us thank God for His mercy and pray that our guardian angel protects our body and soul in the day ahead. Please take advantage of this - for we are not alone in life! Our guardian angel is always with us! As stated in the Baltimore Catechism, "Our guardian Angels pray for us, protect and guide us, and offer our prayers, good works and desires to God" (223).

No evil shall befall you, nor shall affliction come near your tent, for to His Angels God has given command about you, that they guard you in all your ways. Upon their hands they will bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone
- Psalm 91: 10-12

Above all, get to know your guardian angel. Request their aid even in computer and Internet trouble or traffic jams. Angels are spiritual creatures with remarkable intelligence yet no free will. As stated in the Baltimore Catechism, "Angels are pure spirits without a body, created to adore and enjoy God in heaven" (216). They serve God completely and devotion to our guardian angels can only lead us closer to Jesus Christ. Early Christians were devoted to angels. Origen (225 AD): "Every believer — although the humblest in the Church — is said to be attended by an angel, who the Savior declares always beholds the face of God the Father. Now, this angel has the purpose of being his guardian."

A Catholic Life: Feast Day of the Guardian Angels

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The idea that we each have a guardian angel is a nice one. I can see why people are drawn to it, but I don't believe the scriptures teach such a doctrine. Consequently, I don't personally believe it.

Te Deum

Roman Catholic Seminarian
From St. Bernard:
"And so, that nothing in heaven should be wanting in your concern for us, You send those blessed spirits to serve us, assigning them as our guardians and our teachers.

"'He has given his angels charge over you to guard you in all your ways.'

"These words should fill you with respect, inspire devotion and instill confidence: respect for the presence of angels, devotion because of their loving service, and confidence because of their protection.

"And so the angels are here; they are at your side, they are with you, present on your behalf. They are here to protect you and to serve you. But even if it is God who has given them this charge, we must nonetheless be grateful to them for the great love with which they obey and come to help us in our great need.

"So let us be devoted and grateful to such great protectors; let us return their love and honor them as much as we can and should.

"Yet all our love and honor must go to Him, for it is from Him that they receive all that makes them worthy of our love and respect.

"We should then, my brothers, show our affection for the angels, for one day they will be our co-heirs just as here below they are our guardians and trustees appointed and set over us by the Father. We are God's children although it does not seem so, because we are still but small children under guardians and trustees, and for the present little better than slaves.

"Even though we are children and have a long, a very long and dangerous way to go, with such protectors what have we to fear? They who keep us in all our ways cannot be overpowered or led astray, much less lead us astray. They are loyal, prudent, powerful. Why then are we afraid? We have only to follow them, stay close to them, and we shall dwell under the protection of God's heaven."​

Nero777

From St. Bernard:
"And so, that nothing in heaven should be wanting in your concern for us, You send those blessed spirits to serve us, assigning them as our guardians and our teachers.​

"'He has given his angels charge over you to guard you in all your ways.'​

"These words should fill you with respect, inspire devotion and instill confidence: respect for the presence of angels, devotion because of their loving service, and confidence because of their protection.​

"And so the angels are here; they are at your side, they are with you, present on your behalf. They are here to protect you and to serve you. But even if it is God who has given them this charge, we must nonetheless be grateful to them for the great love with which they obey and come to help us in our great need.​

"So let us be devoted and grateful to such great protectors; let us return their love and honor them as much as we can and should.​

"Yet all our love and honor must go to Him, for it is from Him that they receive all that makes them worthy of our love and respect.​

"We should then, my brothers, show our affection for the angels, for one day they will be our co-heirs just as here below they are our guardians and trustees appointed and set over us by the Father. We are God's children although it does not seem so, because we are still but small children under guardians and trustees, and for the present little better than slaves.​

"Even though we are children and have a long, a very long and dangerous way to go, with such protectors what have we to fear? They who keep us in all our ways cannot be overpowered or led astray, much less lead us astray. They are loyal, prudent, powerful. Why then are we afraid? We have only to follow them, stay close to them, and we shall dwell under the protection of God's heaven."​

May I ask what passage this was derived from; we need to examine the situation the writer was in when he wrote this and secondly I need to say that I don't believe that we have one guardian angel because it is the job of the Holy Spirit to fill us with love and devotion and because Jesus Himself said He was the good shephard who would lay His life down for His flock. Why do we need guardians when Jesus said He would protect us Himself?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I believe that every person has their own guardian angel. What do you, as a Christian, believe?
Nope, I don't believe that we each have our own guardian angel. What did you believe the last time you were a Christian, Holly?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I definitely believe in guardian angels.......I don't think that humans become angels, humans were created in the image of God. Angels were created independent from humans....I believe they are no specific gender but the Bible does call all angels by male names....especially the angels that were messengers. As to how they carry out God's missions I don't know, but I know they do.....

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know about having personal guardian angels, but there are times when I know I must be being looked after.

Bucket

I believe that some people have them. Maybe that means that some people are open to them, or maybe need them more. I once had my minister tell me that "City of Angels", that movie with Nicholas Cage, was about as true to angels as theology leads us. Maybe our angels do not guard us or lead us, but give us comfort and compassion when we need it deep down.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I guess I've got to say I believe in them. I believe we all have one watching out for us. I hope so!
However, do angels have wings?

Heneni

Miss Independent
This angel was on the ship with paul. I think he was in human form:

. 23Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me 24and said, `Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.'

This angel delivered a message. Angels are messengers. And so was paul...paul was also a messenger. Anybody that is a messenger of god is an angel.

Your guardian angel looks and sounds like you.

13Peter knocked at the outer entrance, and a servant girl named Rhoda came to answer the door. 14When she recognized Peter's voice, she was so overjoyed she ran back without opening it and exclaimed, "Peter is at the door!"
15"You're out of your mind," they told her. When she kept insisting that it was so, they said, "It must be his angel."

MuslimGirl

I guess I've got to say I believe in them. I believe we all have one watching out for us. I hope so!
However, do angels have wings?

Hey Odion :)
Yes, angels have wings. Some angels have two wings, some have three, others have four and some, like angel Jibril (Gabriel) (pbuh), have up to six hundred wings :)

Scott C.

Just one guy

I believe angels definitely watch over us. I don't think I have one in particualr that is assigned to me, but there's no question that angels minister to us mortals in different ways.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
angels are souls which have reached enlightenment and are not currently incarnated. But I should add the disclaimer that I don't know of any Christian church that teaches this.