• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Group Reading: The Qur'an

Bismillah

Submit
As-Salaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh (may the peace, blessings, and mercy of Allah be upon you)

I wanted to create a group reading of the Qur'an. This is, inshallah, to allow a greater understanding of what Allah has commanded to mankind and a greater understanding of the edicts of Islam. Most people here, I suspect, will be using a translation of the Qur'an.

Who: This is for both Muslims and non-Muslims.

What: We will be reading either from the Qur'an.

When: I will post the surahs (chapters) and ayats (verses) that we will discuss and have two days for reading and discussion. Then we will move on to the next section.

Which translation: I highly recommend the translation by Muhammad Assad. His footnotes are very thorough and provide great insight. Aside from that translation my favorite is MAS Abdel Haleem's translation of the Qur'an.

Background: The Qur'an (meaning recitation) is considered to be the verbatim word of Allah (God) revealed to the Prophet Muhammad from the Angel Gibreel and from the Prophet to humanity. It is unchanged. The Qur'an is considered a living miracle and seen as proof of Islam. I would higly recommend that you listen to the recitaiton of the Qur'an as it is an Islamic art (the recitation is called qirat). The Qur'an is not a book in the traditional sense, but rather an oral text and even if one does not understand the meaning of the Arabic the power and emotion is tangible. There are many reciters one of my favorites is Sudais.

Today is the 23, normally there will be two days for reading and discussion before we move on but for the first time I want to leave an extra day for people to have a chance to view this on RF. On the 26th the next reading will be posted inshallah.

The Qur'an is normally dived up into 30 sections, I am going to divide each juz (section) into another thirds to make it easy for people to follow along in light of busy schedules.

The reading assigned is

• All of Surah (chapter) Fatihah
  • Ayats (verses) 1-50 of Surah Bakarah
I hope any and all who participate and read this thread find it beneficial ameen.

Bismillah

Submit
Ymir thank you very much for your participation! I am very eager to hear your thoughts as well

Also, a side note for everyone, people can start posting their thoughts as soon as they wish there is no need to wait for the two days to expire to post.

Union

Salam all . Thanks to Walid for creating such a wise thread .

I love the way the Qur'an started .

Sura Fatiah introduced the identity of ALLAH (swt) , Who is HE .

Then the first part of Surah Baqrah (verse 1-25) introduced the Book of ALLAH (swt) , i.e., the Qur'an . Verse 2.2 says that it is the guidance for the Muttaqi and there is no doubt in it . Then verse 2.23 Challenges to creates even a single surah similar to Qur'an's .

Then from verse 2.30 onward ALLAH (swt) introducing HIS Prophets and Messengers , starting with Adam and of the children of Israel .

Hence after reading Surah Fatiha and Surah Baqrah (1-50) , we came to know :

01- Who is ALLAH (swt) .
02- What is the nature of Qur'an.
03- Who are the Prophets and Messengers .

Many more other things can be ascertained from reading the ranges of Ayats, but to me the above are the most enlightened ones .

Thanks .

Bismillah

Submit
As salaam alaikum

Surah Fatihah (The Opening): This is the first surah in the Qur'an. I used this for the translation.

I used this for the recitation

[youtube]1H40PtCvJRk[/youtube]
Sura Al-Fatihah Compilation | 13 Different Recitors - YouTube

Period of revelation:
It is one of the very earliest Revelations to the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa salam. As a matter of fact, we learn from authentic Traditions that it was the first complete Surah which was revealed to Muhammad (Allah's peace be upon him) [taken from Maudidi's tafseer]

The verse begins with the basmala as the first ayat. This is the beginning of every single Surah in the Qur'an aside from Surah At-Tawba. For a detailed look at the basmala refer to this thread.

The next three verses we read are praising the greatness of Allah and the need we have for Allah.

The last three verses when read then become a invocation by us, the unbiased reader, to guide us as we worship and rely on Allah and Allah alone.

The Fatihah is our first prayer to Allah and when we read the surah proclaiming Allah as the Sustainer of the worlds ("worlds" denotes all categories of existence both in the physical and the spiritual sense [Assad]) and pray to Allah we have in some sense become Muslims or those who submit to Allah. And when we become practicing Muslims we go back to the Fatihah back to the beginning and five times a day we recite this chapter in our daily prayers. This is truly the opening of the Muslim's spiritual devotion.

Fatihah asks Allah to guide us and the next Surah then starts "Alif Laam Meem This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah". The relationship is that of prayer and answer from Allah. The rest of the Qur'an is then the answer and guidance for mankind from Allah.

Know that all the wisdom of the Heavenly Scriptures are in The Qur'an and whatever is in The Qur'an is in the Fatihah (Suratul Hamd) and whatever is in Fatihah is in Bismillah and whatever is in Bismillah is in the Ba of Bismillah and whatever is in the Ba of Bismillah is encapsulated in the dot under Ba and Imam Ali, AS said that he is that dot under Ba.

Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
I used the recitation at Quran.com and Muhammad Assad's translation.

Union said:
Then the first part of Surah Baqrah (verse 1-25) introduced the Book of ALLAH (swt) , i.e., the Qur'an . Verse 2.2 says that it is the guidance for the Muttaqi and there is no doubt in it . Then verse 2.23 Challenges to creates even a single surah similar to Qur'an's .

Then from verse 2.30 onward ALLAH (swt) introducing HIS Prophets and Messengers , starting with Adam and of the children of Israel .
Salaam Union, I agree. From verses 1-30 revolve around the believers, those who are "bent on denying the truth", and the hypocrites (these are a well known group of seditionists who tried to destroy Islam internally). Verses 30-39 talk about Adam, the role of mankind and its creation, the defiance of Iblis, the casting out of Adam to Earth, and the promise of guidance from Allah to mankind (as well as the consequences of accepting or rejecting that guidance). From this point (of talking about guidance) it transitions into the children of Israel exhorting them to accept the messenger of God reminding them of their favors, of their errors, and calling them to goodness and piety.

The verse preceding says this is the book of guidance for those who are conscious of Allah and then states
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Who believe in [the existence of] that which is beyond the reach of human perception, [3] and are constant in prayer, and spend on others out of what We provide for them as sustenance; [4][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial] Assad has a very interesting footnote reading[/FONT]
"Al-ghayb...denote all those sectors or phases of reality which lie beyond the range of human perception and cannot, therefore, be proved or disproved by scientific observation or even adequately comprised within the accepted categories of speculative thought: as, for instance, the existence of God and of a definite purpose underlying the universe, life after death, the real nature of time, the existence of spiritual forces and their inter-action, and so forth. Only a person who is convinced that the ultimate reality comprises far more than our observable environment can attain to belief in God and, thus, to a belief that life has meaning and purpose. By pointing out that it is "a guidance for those who believe in the existence of that which is beyond human perception", the Qur'an says, in effect, that it will - of necessity - remain a closed book to all whose minds cannot accept this fundamental premise.(Quran Ref: 2:3 )"
The same people perhaps who are bent denying the truth, whose hearts are sealed, and their eyes are closed?
'In contrast with the frequently occurring term al-kafirun ("those who deny the truth"), the use of the past tense in alladhina kafaru indicates conscious intent, and is, therefore, appropriately rendered as "those who are bent on denying the truth."
So these people are different from the kaffirun and furthermore Assad explains how sealing of the heart is caused by the person them self
"whereby a person who persistently adheres to false beliefs and refuses to listen to the voice of truth gradually loses the ability to perceive the truth, "so that finally, as it were, a seal is set upon his heart" (Raghib). Since it is God who has instituted all laws of nature -which, in their aggregate, are called sunnat Allah ("the way of God") -this "sealing" is attributed to Him: but it is obviously a consequence of man's free choice and not an act of "predestination"
Also I thought the parables with the light and thunder were very illustrative. They kindle the fire of Islam but find no illumination from it because of their hypocrisy and falseness of faith. Likewise the thunder shines light but blinds them as well so that they find no guidance even though they profess to being Muslim and then contrasts by saying to mankind be conscious of God through worship!

When Allah later states that he taught Adam the name of all things this marks a very important characteristic of humanity
"The term ism ("name") implies, according to all philologists, an expression "conveying the knowledge [of a thing] ... applied to denote a substance or an accident or an attribute, for the purpose of distinction" (Lane IV, 1435): in philosophical terminology, a "concept". From this it may legitimately be inferred that the "knowledge of all the names denotes here man's faculty of logical definition and, thus, of conceptual thinking."
And the difference between man's ability to reason and learn and the angels is contrasted directly in the next verse when the Angels state that they have no knowledge except that which Allah bestows upon them.

The verses go on to address the children of Israel. It's interesting to point out this is a Medinese revelation where relations between the Muslims and powerful Jewish tribes were becoming increasingly uneasy. One verse that summarizes it well says
2:41 said:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Believe in that which I have [now] bestowed from on high, confirming the truth already in your possession, and be not foremost among those who deny its truth; and do not barter away My messages for a trifling gain; [32] and of Me, of Me be conscious[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]the trifling gain being the belief that only among the Jews will Allah's messengers manifest themselves, in essence do not reject Islam and the Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wa sallam because he is an Arab and not a Jew.

These are some of the parts I picked out for perhaps more discussion/reflection.
[/FONT]

Bismillah

Submit
Salaam alaikum,

The assigned reading and discussion is
  • Ayats (verses) 51-120 of Surah Bakarah.
This is not strictly 1/3 of the Juz but I added 20 ayat because they fall under the same theme so it is better to read them as one than to split them up

The next assigned reading will be on the 25

Bismillah

Submit
As salaam alaikum,

I know the reading was from verse 50-120 but I actually went back to 40 (as that is the beginning of a series of verses and passages talking to the children of Israel)

The translation I used was Muhammad Asad

I used this recitation, the next passage of verses are found in the queue of videos at the right. Also for each verse I have quoted from Surah Baqara there is a timestamped link, the Chapter and Verses are the link, so that you can listen to the recitation of the verse as you read, if you wish. I did this because it is important to understand that the Qur'an is first and foremost an oral document (the name Qur'an itself means to recite). This was the means the Arabs of Mecca first heard the Prophet Muhammad preach and it Muslim belief that this speech is the unerrant word of Allah transmitted to Angiel Gabriel transmitted to the Prophet transmitted to the world. It was the leaders of the Quraysh who warned strangers to close their ears to the Qur'an labeling it as hypnotic and magical, something that overcomes the sense.

[youtube]Ykpg56_krgQ[/youtube]
The Qur'an | (Chapter 2: verses 40-66) Surah al-Baqarah - YouTube

Before the rest of my post I would just like to make a clear distinction. I will be using the term “bani Israel” and “children of Israel” numerous times. The phrase will carry two very different tones. This is because within Sura Baqara there are those who are admonished and those who are given glad tidings among bani Israel. This is not me cherry picking or ignoring verses some would call "unpleasant" rather it is the Qur'an, itself, providing the contextualization for its praise and condemnation. I did not search across the chapters and verses, these ayats were within our assigned reading.

The repudiation of Allah is addressed to the people of the following qualities: worshiping the golden calf in the absence of Moses, a descent into symbolic worship of material goods and polytheism (Asad Note 78) in Islam the former is also considered a form of shirk (polytheism) [2:51], proclaiming disbelief in Moses' message until they were granted sight of God [2:52], commanded, by God, to enter Israel in the spirit of humility (prostration) but instead were bent on evildoing [2:58-59], who went to Egypt in shame for they enjoyed the paltry comforts (herbs, cucumbers, garlic, lentils, and onions) of captivity [2:61], who turned away from the pledge at Mount Sinai [2:64], who profaned the Shabbath to "be as apes" as a warning, 'for further detail of the Sabbath-breakers, and the metaphorical allusion to "apes" see 7:163-166' (Asad Note 52) [2:65], who made obstinate and obdurate demands when commanded to sacrifice a cow [2:67-71], whose hearts hardened and became like rocks or even harder [2:74], who rewrote the divine writ for their own trifling gain [2:79], who slay one another and drive one another from their homelands [2:85], and when the apostle of God would be sent some would be gloried in arrogance, and some would give the lie, and some would slay [2:87 and 2:91].

The above is an incomplete list. The distinction, within bani Israel, is stated clearly in the following verse
[url=http://youtu.be/9OLHhANVGtI?t=3m02s]Al-Qur'an 2:75[/url] said:
Can you, then, hope that they will believe in what you are preaching [60] - seeing that a good many of them were wont to listen to the word of God and then, after having understood it, to pervert it knowingly? [61]
Where a "good many" or party of them would listen to God's word and then pervert it with their grievances (some of which listed prior). Not "all of them" or even just "they".

Indeed the Qur'an also has this to say about the Jews and the Christians
[url=http://youtu.be/Ykpg56_krgQ?t=7m46s]Al-Qur'an 2:62[/url] said:
Verily, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians [49] -all who believe in God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve. [50]
As Allah is talking about bani Israel he has described two groups with two traits and two destinies that Allah states as shown by the ayats
[url=http://youtu.be/9OLHhANVGtI?t=5m01s]Al-Qur'an 2:80-82[/url] said:
...Say [unto them]: "Have you received a promise from God - for God never breaks His promise - or do you attribute to God something which you cannot know? Yea! Those who earn evil and by their sinfulness are engulfed - they are destined for the fire. therein to abide; whereas those who attain to faith and do righteous deeds -they are destined for paradise, therein to abide.
Carrying on with my own impressions then, the reading starts with an address to the children of Israel, but I want to ask. Is this only a dialogue between Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, and bani Israel? I do not think so, but rather it serves as a double meaning to the Muslims as well. A cautionary tale to the Muslims that, just as we have been blessed and empowered by Allah, so were the children of Israel and if some of them could fall awry of the straight path what prevents a Muslims from similarly being misguided from sirat al mustaqeem? For how many Muslims do we know could use this reminder and admonishment?
[url=http://youtu.be/Ykpg56_krgQ?t=1m15s]Al-Qur'an 2:44[/url] said:
Do you bid other people to be pious, the while you forget your own selves -and yet you recite the divine writ? Will you not, then, use your reason?
That they recite the Qur'an and profess its beliefs and yet do not follow the manners befitting that of a Muslim. This is the advice of the Qur'an to these people
[url=http://youtu.be/Ykpg56_krgQ?t=1m23s]Al-Qur'an 2:45-46[/url] said:
And seek aid in steadfast patience and prayer: and this, indeed, is a hard thing for all but the humble in spirit who know with certainty that they shall meet their Sustainer and that unto Him they shall return.
Seek humility in your manner and innerself inshAllah
There is often confusion when Moses, alay as salaam, is telling his people to sacrifice the cow (verses 67-71). The importance and necessity of the cow as a sacrifice is clear in the following verse
[url=http://youtu.be/9OLHhANVGtI?t=1m51s]Al-Qur'an 2:72[/url] said:
For, O children of Israel, because you had slain a human being and then cast the blame for this [crime] upon one another -although God will bring to light what you would conceals [56]
The sacrifice is then a command to the collective community (implied by the "you had slain") to sacrifice a cow in the case of an unresolved murder. This is an Old Testament ordinance and examined in greater detail in 2:67 [Muhammad Asad Note 53]. But the most relevant thing I find about this is when Allah states in verse 71 about this incident
[url=http://youtu.be/9OLHhANVGtI?t=1m43s]Al-Qur'an 2:71[/url] said:
...Said they: "At last thou hast brought out the truth!"-and thereupon they sacrificed her, although they had almost left it undone. [55]
This is, at times, overlooked I think in the day to day mentality of the Muslims. If you look at the further notes its importance in how we approach our religion becomes immediately relevant
Muhammad Asad Note 55 (Quran Ref: 2:71 ) said:
I.e., their obstinate desire to obtain closer and closer definitions of the simple commandment revealed to them through Moses had made it almost impossible for them to fulfil it. In his commentary on this passage; Tabari quotes the following remark of Ibn 'Abbas: "If [in the first instance] they had sacrificed any cow chosen by themselves, they would have fulfilled their duty; but they made it complicated for themselves, and so God made it complicated for them." A similar view has been expressed, in the same context, by Zamakhshari. It would appear that the moral of this story points to an important-problem of all (and, therefore, also of Islamic) religious jurisprudence: namely, the inadvisability of trying to elicit additional details in respect of any religious law that had originally been given in general terms-for, the more numerous and multiform such details become, the more complicated and rigid becomes the law. This point has been acutely grasped by Rashid Rida', who says in his commentary on the above Qur'anic passage (see Manar I, 345 f.): "Its lesson is that one should not pursue one's [legal] inquiries in such a way as to make laws more complicated .... This was how the early generations [of Muslims] visualized the problem. They did not make things complicated for themselves-and so, for them, the religious law (din) was natural, simple and liberal in its straightforwardness. But those who came later added to it [certain other] injunctions which they had deduced by means of their own reasoning (ijtihad); and they multiplied those [additional] injunctions to such an extent that the religious law became a heavy burden on the community." For the sociological reason why the genuine ordinances of Islamic Law - that is, those which have been prima facie laid down as such in the Qur'an and the teachings of the Prophet-are almost always devoid of details, I would refer the reader to my book State and Government in Islam (pp. 11 ff. and passim). The importance of this problem, illustrated in the above story of the cow-and correctly grasped by the Prophet's Companions-explains why this surah has been entitled "The Cow". (See also 5:101 and the corresponding notes 120-123.) (Quran Ref: 2:71 )

Bismillah

Submit
How interesting then the preceding exegesis? We have been told that Islam is a straight forward easy and moderate religion. I remember when the Prophet Muhammad was present at (supererogatory) prayers but then did not appear for a few and the companions asked why he did not come. He replied in some words to the jist that he did not want to burden people by making them think these prayers were mandatory.

A personal observation I took away was Allah reminding of the favors bani Israel are shown, but warning them that these favors does not preclude the punishment of Allah. Similarly many Muslims lose their taqwa and their sense of morals making justifications that they have professed correct 'aqeedah. They stop fearing the Day of Judgment and the requital promised! Subhanallah is this not the same error of arrogance that Allah is addressing in these verses? This parallel between the arrogance of some of the children of Israel and the arrogance of some of the Muslims is bought to my mind again when the Qur'an states
[url=http://youtu.be/9OLHhANVGtI?t=4m51s]Al-Qur'an 2:80-81[/url] said:
And they say, "The fire will most certainly not touch us for more than a limited number of days." [65] Say [unto them]: "Have you received a promise from God - for God never breaks His promise - or do you attribute to God something which you cannot know?

Yea! Those who earn evil and by their sinfulness are engulfed - they are destined for the fire. therein to abide
May Allah protect us, forgive us, and guide us.

A mark of distinction is the pledge of bani Israel with Allah, I think it is very instructive the rights, expectations, and vows between them and Allah
[url=http://youtu.be/9OLHhANVGtI?t=5m51s]Al-Qur'an 2:83-84[/url] said:
AND LO! We accepted this solemn pledge from [you,] ' the children of Israel: [66] "You shall worship none but God; and you shall do good unto your parents and kinsfolk, and the orphans, and the poor; and you shall speak unto all people in a kindly way; and you shall be constant in prayer; and you shall spend in charity. [67] ”And yet, save for a few of you, you turned away: for you are obstinate folk![68]

And lo! We accepted your solemn pledge that you would not shed one another's blood, and would not drive one another from your homelands - whereupon you acknowledged it; and thereto you bear witness [even now].
And yet you will have people who say that Allah commands us to do evil and wickedness. How puzzling then, have they ever glanced upon the covenant that Allah entrusts between the people and him? Wickedness in tawhid and zakat and sadakat, and adab? This is the same covenant between the Muslims and Allah.

The reciter for this particular ayat is so passionate, I love it, as the ayat charges bani Israel with spiritual bareness whose hearts are harder and more obstinate than rocks. It brings to my mind the previous verse which said that their hearts were already filled with knowledge and not willing to accept the revelation of Islam
[url=http://youtu.be/9OLHhANVGtI?t=2m21s]Al-Qur'an 2:74[/url] said:
And yet, after all this, your hearts hardened and became like rocks, or even harder: for, behold, there are rocks from which streams gush forth; and, behold, there are some from which, when they are cleft, water issues; and, behold, there are some that fall down for awe of God [59] And God is not unmindful of what you do!

There come ayats that refer directly to the Medinese Jews. This is implied and made a parable starting at verse 86 but stated in the most definitive terms in these two verses
[url=http://youtu.be/DrvHZuJW_90?t=4m32s]Al-Qur'an 2:97-98[/url] said:
SAY [O Prophet]: "Whosoever is an enemy of Gabriel" -who,, verily, by God's leave, has brought down upon thy heart this [divine writ] which confirms the truth of whatever there still remains [of earlier revelations], and is a guidance and a glad tiding for the believers-

"whosover is an enemy of God and His angels and His message-bearers, including Gabriel and Michael, [should know that,] verily, God is the enemy of all who deny the truth." [80]
And the "enemy of Gabriel" is a clear reference as stated
Muhammad Asad Note 80 (Quran Ref: 2:98) said:
According to several authentic Traditions, some of the learned men from among the Jews of Medina described Gabriel as "the enemy of the Jews", and this for three reasons: firstly, all the prophecies of the misfortune which was to befall the Jews in the course of their early history were said to have been transmitted to them by Gabriel, who thus became in their eyes a "harbinger of evil" (in contrast to the angel Michael, whom they regarded as a bearer of happy predictions and, therefore, as their "friend"); secondly, because the Qur'an states repeatedly that it was Gabriel who conveyed its message to Muhammad, whereas the Jews were of the opinion that only a descendant of Israel could legitimately claim divine revelation; and, thirdly, because the Qur'an -revealed through Gabriel-abounds in criticism of certain Jewish beliefs and attitudes and describes them as opposed to the genuine message of Moses. (For details of these Traditions, see Tabari, Zamakhshari, Baghawi, Razi, Baydawi, Ibn Kathir.) As regards my rendering of ma bayna yadayhi in verse 97 as "whatever there still remains of earlier revelations", see surah 3, note 3.(Quran Ref: 2:98)

So, going back to what I was saying, the Qur'an is comparing the Jews of Medina with the worst of the children of Israel.
[url=http://youtu.be/DrvHZuJW_90?t=0m20s]Al-Qur'an 2:87[/url] said:
...[Yet] is it not so that every time an apostle came unto you with something that was not to your liking, you gloried in your arrogance, and to some of them you gave the lie, while others you would slay? [72]
Because it was the plot of the three major tribes, in varying chronology, in reneging the treaty between the Muslims and themselves, aiding the Quraysh financially and militarily (arms) in several battles, assassination attempts , and aiding the Quraysh and their allies at the battle of the Trench and plotting to throw their gate open during the attack (for further information on the political and military landscape of Medina following the establishment of the Muslims and the degradation of relations between the three powerful Jewish tribes I encourage readers to also participate in the reading and discussion of a biography of the Prophet Muhammad)

Bismillah

Submit
A detail that was intrigued me was this verse
[url=http://youtu.be/DrvHZuJW_90?t=1m55s]Al-Qur'an 2:91[/url] said:
For when they are told, "Believe in what God has bestowed from on high," they reply, "We believe [only] in what has been bestowed on us"-and they deny the truth of everything else, although it be a truth confirming the one already in their possession. Say "Why, then, did you slay God's prophets aforetime, if you were (truly] believers?" [76]
This is very puzzling. Now, as I pointed out earlier, the Medinese Jews are being compared to some of the previous mistakes of earlier Jews (i.e the golden calf in the verse directly succeeding this one) so is this an explicit comparison between the previous Jews who had killed Prophets of Allah (see chapter 2 verse 61 note 48 for further elaboration of the stated) and that of the later attempts by some Medinese Jews to kill the Prophet and the fledgling Muslim community? The word used to signify "slay" is تَقْتُلُونَ on which Assad comments
Muhammad Asad Note 72 (Quran Ref: 2:87) said:
Lit., "and some you are slaying". The change from the past tense observed throughout this sentence to the present tense in the verb taqtulun ("you are slaying") is meant to express a conscious intent in this respect and, thus, a persistent, ever-recurring trait in Jewish history (Manar I, 377), to which also the New Testament refers (Matthew xxiii, 34-35, 37), and I Thessalonians ii, 15).(Quran Ref: 2:87 )
As in it is relating, to the Medinese Jewry, the current intent to slay the Prophet of Allah. Though this verse was revealed at most two years after hijra (the Muslim fleeing to the city of Medina formerly known as Yathrib) before the relations between the powerful Jewish tribes and Muslim community had degraded to violence (which happened at different times). As these verses were being revealed to the Muslims they were also answers and questions addressed to the Jews of Medina. When it was revealed it was a prediction of the intent of these tribes to slay the Prophet of Allah as previous Jews had done, as the conflict between the Muslims and Jews culminated at its climax it was a reflection of their actions and attempts to slay the Prophet of Allah (i.e the verses had predicted and now were reflecting the reality of a particular tribe's attempts to directly assassinate the Prophet), and afterwards (i.e in the modern day) these verses function as a point of reflection of how the worst of bani Israel had persecuted the Prophets of Allah (including the Prophet Muahmmad). The Qur'an emphatically states
[url=http://youtu.be/DrvHZuJW_90?t=4m32s]Al-Qur'an 2:103[/url] said:
And had they but believed and been conscious of Him, reward from God would indeed have brought them good-had they but known it!
And of course this is true for the long dead Jews who transgressed but this gives me a vibe of prescience how much better it would have been for these tribes to overcome their arrogance and attacks on the Muslims in this world (for they were very wealthy and powerful) and more importantly in the hereafter.

[url=http://youtu.be/Oli_EIVWAq0?t=0m05s]Al-Qur'an 2:104[/url] said:
O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not say [to the Prophet], "Listen to us," but rather say, "Have patience with us," and hearken [unto him], since grievous suffering awaits those who deny the truth. [85]
This verse is talking, in one manner to the Sahaba, but in another way to us as well. How many among us do not have the patience and faith when it comes to our religion. We want to learn now and fast. We want it to come easy and concise. But rather religion is a way of life a journey and we cannot change our religion to our life. But rather slowly ease ourselves into the Islamic lifestyle and morals exemplified by the best of creation.

Much of the attention in the verses leading to 120 deal with Allah proclaiming that it is only through him and him alone that man attains justice. Punishment and reward paradise and hellfire. That it will be Allah who will judge these arguments and put them to rest. This verse, I think, is the main point
[url=http://youtu.be/Oli_EIVWAq0?t=3m06s]Al-Qur'an 2:112[/url] said:
Yea, indeed: everyone who surrenders his whole being unto God, [91] and is a doer of good withal, shall have his reward with his Sustainer; and all such need have no fear, and neither shall they grieve. [92]

One of the most important ayats in the surah I think are the ones were Allah describes himself. These verse are important because this is the nature of our Lord and the nature of our existence. This lecture does a really good job explaining the importance of Allah's attributes I recommend it to anyone.
[url=http://youtu.be/Oli_EIVWAq0?t=4m38s]Al-Qur'an 2:115-2:117[/url] said:
And God's is the east and the west: and wherever you turn, there is God's countenance. Behold, God is infinite, all-knowing.

And yet some people assert, "God has taken unto Himself a son!" Limitless is He in His glory! [96] Nay, but His is all that is in the heavens and on earth; all things devoutly obey His will.

The Originator is He of the heavens and the earth: and when He wills a thing to be, He but says unto it, "Be" -and it is.
When you make dhikr and remembrance of Allah recite these verses where he describes himself and recite his names and their meanings (a beautiful book by Imam Al-Ghazali on just this topic PDF warning).