• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Group Disturbeds cover of "sounds of silence"

David T

Premium Member
Its extremely rare for an older historically well known song to be covered and be a vast improvent. I always really hated the original by simon and garfunkel it was way too kum by yah for me. i never felt the lyrics and really paid no attention to them i didnt get past the music. .
Someone said the S&G version is the gospel of Jesus, this is old testament wrath of of God.

On a side note the band disturbed is also a heavy metal band so this is actually way way way out of character. You may be pleasantly surprised how good this cover really is.

David T

Premium Member
I'm a metal fan to the core, but I do like Simon and Garfunkel on this song. Disturbed does a good job covering it though.
The auto tune on this version is a bit annoying but the recorded version doesnt have that. I had never paid attention to the lyrics before this version they pop.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I really like Disturb's cover. I do a cover of S of S in sort of a cross between S&G and Disturb ('tho not in such a heavy metal vein).

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the original better captures the despair and loneliness, and is much better orchestrated.

The original lyrics: "Hello darkness my old friend" makes more sense, I think, than "...my own friend" on this new version.

David T

Premium Member
I really like Disturb's cover. I do a cover of S of S in sort of a cross between S&G and Disturb ('tho not in such a heavy metal vein).
I was shocked of the extreme difference between their regular music and this. I already know we have at least one talented musician here amongst a herd of critics!!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I was shocked of the extreme difference between their regular music and this. I already know we have at least one talented musician here amongst a herd of critics!!

Me. too. It was...ermm...disturbing. Not sure I could listen to much more of their stuff.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think the original better captures the despair and loneliness, and is much better orchestrated.

The original lyrics: "Hello darkness my old friend" makes more sense, I think, than "...my own friend" on this new version.

Having been around for the original, I think both versions reflect the times they were singing about.