• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

grotesque hatred

pearl

One of the most upsetting and frightening for me is the lessening of shock I have at yet another act of pure targeted violence as the latest carried out in Buffalo NY. The following article addresses this particular act of violence.

It is evil for all of the obvious reasons: an 18-year-old white supremacist murdered Black men and women three and a half hours from his home due to some perceived existential threat. This is a sickness that runs deep. It is, in every sense, an outrage.

But how we as a society respond to these mass shootings is also outrageous. From Pittsburgh to San Bernardino, from El Paso to Sandy Hook, we mourn, but most of us do not act. Perhaps some have ceased to care; but I suspect most have simply lost hope that we have the power to prevent the next tragedy. We are conquered by death. For Christians, this is an unacceptable premise.

Our public policies can shape who has the power to inflict suffering and on whom they can inflict it with ease. In Buffalo, for example, the particular supermarket targeted by the white supremacist was the only market in what was otherwise a food desert, in a part of the city with a high concentration of Black residents—de facto segregation that is a byproduct of federal, state and city policies. For someone who is driven by a racist conspiracy theory, this is as opportune a target as it gets.

For Catholics, the answer is relatively simple: subsidiarity. We need to make decisions at the lowest competent level to empower people to engage in society. Coupled with our sense of justice and mercy, and remaining conscientious of the nature of our government, we have to show up and represent what we believe: that people matter. That the common good is more important than a political career. That we need to actively, thoughtfully and critically engage ideas in the public sphere in good faith and with honest debate. Accountability is a crucial component in achieving Christian ends in public life; Catholic leaders must employ our tradition, which continues to provide us with an understanding of what we should expect from those we entrust with our representation.

Both our theological and historical traditions demand a radical response rooted in the Gospel. This is not an uncomplicated history. In the American context, our church is opposed to white nationalism, to racism and to anti-Semitism. It has also enabled each of them in particular times and places. We have the likes of Msgr. James Kirwin, who opposed the Ku Klux Klan in Galveston, Tex., in the early 20th century; and then we have that of Father Charles Coughlin, who spewed anti-Semitism on the airwaves just a few decades later.

Three questions white Catholics must ask themselves after the racist shooting in Buffalo | America Magazine

Vee

Premium Member
One of the most upsetting and frightening for me is the lessening of shock I have at yet another act of pure targeted violence as the latest carried out in Buffalo NY. The following article addresses this particular act of violence.

It is evil for all of the obvious reasons: an 18-year-old white supremacist murdered Black men and women three and a half hours from his home due to some perceived existential threat. This is a sickness that runs deep. It is, in every sense, an outrage.

But how we as a society respond to these mass shootings is also outrageous. From Pittsburgh to San Bernardino, from El Paso to Sandy Hook, we mourn, but most of us do not act. Perhaps some have ceased to care; but I suspect most have simply lost hope that we have the power to prevent the next tragedy. We are conquered by death. For Christians, this is an unacceptable premise.

Our public policies can shape who has the power to inflict suffering and on whom they can inflict it with ease. In Buffalo, for example, the particular supermarket targeted by the white supremacist was the only market in what was otherwise a food desert, in a part of the city with a high concentration of Black residents—de facto segregation that is a byproduct of federal, state and city policies. For someone who is driven by a racist conspiracy theory, this is as opportune a target as it gets.

For Catholics, the answer is relatively simple: subsidiarity. We need to make decisions at the lowest competent level to empower people to engage in society. Coupled with our sense of justice and mercy, and remaining conscientious of the nature of our government, we have to show up and represent what we believe: that people matter. That the common good is more important than a political career. That we need to actively, thoughtfully and critically engage ideas in the public sphere in good faith and with honest debate. Accountability is a crucial component in achieving Christian ends in public life; Catholic leaders must employ our tradition, which continues to provide us with an understanding of what we should expect from those we entrust with our representation.

Both our theological and historical traditions demand a radical response rooted in the Gospel. This is not an uncomplicated history. In the American context, our church is opposed to white nationalism, to racism and to anti-Semitism. It has also enabled each of them in particular times and places. We have the likes of Msgr. James Kirwin, who opposed the Ku Klux Klan in Galveston, Tex., in the early 20th century; and then we have that of Father Charles Coughlin, who spewed anti-Semitism on the airwaves just a few decades later.

Three questions white Catholics must ask themselves after the racist shooting in Buffalo | America Magazine

Am I the only one who thinks people shouldn't have such easy access to guns? I mean, sure, there are many other issues here that need to be addressed, but the fact that it's so easy to buy a gun in the US and there are so many gun crimes can't be a coincidence.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Am I the only one who thinks people shouldn't have such easy access to guns? I mean, sure, there are many other issues here that need to be addressed, but the fact that it's so easy to buy a gun in the US and there are so many gun crimes can't be a coincidence.
I totally agree with you, and it drives me nuts that so many in the "religious right" think they're being so holy while they don't seem to care one iota of the proliferation of guns in American society. We have times the homicide rates of northern Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan, etc.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think it is almost impossible to stop 'lone wolf' types with mental issues from going off occasionally. But I think we need to make access to weapons and ammunition much more difficult to obtain.

Also, I think excessive media and social attention to 'lone wolves' is part of the problem. Yes, it's 'news' but we shouldn't give terrorists all the attention they are craving either. This Buffalo thing is already planting seeds in the mind of the next troubled lone wolf out there. The choir wrings its hands as usual and the few troubled out there get their pot stirred up and see conspiracies and etcetera.

Also, I think 'white on black' crime gets a disproportionate amount of attention because that is what is more socially popular to wring our hands over and is such a politically correct thing to do. I feel this white supremacist stuff makes great shocking headlines but is way way overplayed in the American society I live in. The media is helping to produce an exaggerated sense of racial problems in America. And that ratcheting up of the perceived tension level will produce more and more incidents by the mentally unstable.

Basically, I suggest 'chilling out' more as 'freaking out' just ratchets up the tension.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think it is almost impossible to stop 'lone wolf' types with mental issues from going off occasionally. But I think we need to make access to weapons and ammunition much more difficult to obtain.

Also, I think excessive media and social attention to 'lone wolves' is part of the problem. Yes, it's 'news' but we shouldn't give terrorists all the attention they are craving either. This Buffalo thing is already planting seeds in the mind of the next troubled lone wolf out there. The choir wrings its hands as usual and the few troubled out there get their pot stirred up and see conspiracies and etcetera.

Also, I think 'white on black' crime gets a disproportionate amount of attention because that is what is more socially popular to wring our hands over and is such a politically correct thing to do. I feel this white supremacist stuff makes great shocking headlines but is way way overplayed in the American society I live in. The media is helping to produce an exaggerated sense of racial problems in America. And that ratcheting up of the perceived tension level will produce more and more incidents by the mentally unstable.

Basically, I suggest 'chilling out' more as 'freaking out' just ratchets up the tension.

I agree about excessive media coverage but I doubt with "freedom of the press" much can be done about it. The media is about getting watched or read. Not about social conscience.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I agree about excessive media coverage but I doubt with "freedom of the press" much can be done about it. The media is about getting watched or read. Not about social conscience.
I agree. I guess we’ll have to wait until this fad is used up and they move on to the next salacious subject to overemphasize.

Heyo

Veteran Member
At least most of the media has agreed not to publish the names of the perpetrators. Not much notoriety in being remembered as "unnamed shooter".

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
There is only 1 problem
"lack of God"

Note: God meaning "Love" in this context

pearl

I agree. But I also have to notice that in our state we have some of the stricter gun laws. But it is not enough due to the fact that there is, nationally, easy access to illegal guns and Congress refuses to or cannot enact universal gun laws.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It will become worse. Guns are a tool of survival and protection.

I dont get why people seem to think criminals and psychopaths would conclude since there is a law now, they might as well give up.

All laws do is give a false sense of security and less freedom to preserve.

Criminals and psychopaths don't care about laws.

They do however, absolutely love an unarmed and helpless society as their playground of fun.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It will become worse. Guns are a tool of survival and protection.

I dont get why people seem to think criminals and psychopaths would conclude since there is a law now, they might as well give up.

All laws do is give a false sense of security and less freedom to follow.

Criminals and psychopaths don't care about laws. They do however, absolutely love an unarmed and helpless society as their playground of fun.

It is a bit more complicated than that in my world view or if you like my beliefs.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Would it not be 'white' Catholics, or for that matter white members of all religions, to consider their position on such matters?
Being a decent human being shouldn't be a matter of pigment

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
That's no axiom, and that's for sure. For example, if I'm not restricted in shooting innocent people, then that makes them "helpless citizens".
No one is restricted if they don't obey the laws. The only person restricted is the one who wants to follow the law.