• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grocery Shortages: Butter Will Be Harder to Find, but That's Not All

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Grocery Shortages: Butter Will Be Harder to Find, but That's Not All (msn.com)

Several popular grocery store staples are experiencing shortages this year, including tomatoes, tampons and Halloween candy. And now you can add butter to the list of harder-to-find items as the holidays approach.

It seems the tomato crop has suffered from severe drought.

Many of these shortages as a result of pandemic-related supply chain issues and the ongoing war in Ukraine. Some are also fueled by ongoing droughts and higher temperatures caused by climate change. The butter shortage is caused by lower milk production on dairy farms.

Right now, it's unclear when the supply of many of these items will bulk back up. And, if you do find them, prices have increased: The cost of tampons, for example, has risen nearly 10% this year.

Below, we've tallied more than a dozen items facing higher prices and dwindling supplies. For more on shortages, learn how your favorite supermarket items may be hit by "shrinkflation" and how much cheaper generic store brands really are than premium brands.

The article notes the following items which are expected to have shortages and higher prices (I expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth after people see that first item on the list):

1. Beer
2. Ketchup
3. Baby formula
4. Sriracha
5. Tampons
6. Popcorn
7. Bread
8. Pet food
9. Turkey
10. Mustard
11. Peaches
12. Halloween candy
13. Champagne
14. Butter

Is this the "new normal" now? Are we to expect shortages and dwindling supplies in the years to come? Will it ever get any better? Could it get even worse?

Have you noticed any shortages of things you usually buy?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I bought some beer in Hot Springs AR. It's the only
place where it's brewed inside a national park. They
had a good supply of a big selection. And the price
was easy on the wallet.
But I have noticed inconsistent availability of some
products from some vendors. It appears that
shutting down business during Covid has lasting
effects. I practice patience.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

The article notes the following items which are expected to have shortages and higher prices (I expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth after people see that first item on the list):

1. Beer
2. Ketchup
3. Baby formula
4. Sriracha
5. Tampons
6. Popcorn
7. Bread
8. Pet food
9. Turkey
10. Mustard
11. Peaches
12. Halloween candy
13. Champagne
14. Butter

Is this the "new normal" now? Are we to expect shortages and dwindling supplies in the years to come? Will it ever get any better? Could it get even worse?

I don't know about 'new normal,' but since covid began to disrupt supply chains and people panic-bought waaaayyyyyy too much toilet paper and other commodities, the several grocery stores that we visit have been having significant gaps of their shelves...which often are suddenly full again or nearly so...but then something else gets awfully thin on the shelves...

This is not just with things we normally buy, but is visible throughout the stores...

Some things therefore remain on the shopping list for several weeks, until we find what we want at another store or the item finally shows up...or we break down and buy a different size or brand (as recently happened for yellow mustard)...

I expect this to continue, as some of the shortcomings of a global system of trade are exposed by climate change, fossil-fuel dependence, war, pandemics, pestilence, famine and etc....

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Grocery Shortages: Butter Will Be Harder to Find, but That's Not All
As I was reading this, I fully expect it to say, "...Butter will be harder to find, but not tanks"

going back to an example from intro economics of how 'the market' is constrained in making choices about production...:D:eek::oops:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As I was reading this, I fully expect it to say, "...Butter will be harder to find, but not tanks"

going back to an example from intro economics of how 'the market' is constrained in making choices about production...:D:eek::oops:
Butter tanks....
OIP.cDdbt2L5wwpjkbiSzq56_AHaEJ

Tank tops...
R.53ad0067d2feb27bf62295f54b2c5c56

PureX

Veteran Member

The mere claim of a possible shortage increases sales and dives up prices. An actual shortage will do that exponentially. And since every good capitalist wants to give less and get more, the thought of a "shortage" sounds like a ride on the monopoly gravy train! But will all the sellers agree to it? Because, for the monopoly to work, they all or most all have to be willing to participate.

Well, they all pursue the same goal: get more for doing less. So they're all on board about that. But they have to trust each other not to play along just until the prices are up and the shelves are empty, and then dump a huge amount of product on the market to make a massive profit. Leaving everyone else holding a big pile of product in a market with dropping prices. This is called "price-fixing", and it is technically illegal. But it's nearly impossible to catch and prosecute because the participants don't ever even have to meet to discuss it. They collude through their mutual greed, and their shared desire to monopolize the market. All that has to happen is that one major producer floats the rumor of a shortage, and then starts holding back a bit on their product distribution; and then just waits to see if the other producers jump on the bandwagon. And you can bet most of them will. And technically, no one has done anything illegal. Even though they are clearly colluding and price-fixing.

The oil companies just got away with doing it and they made a killing! They're still raking in record profits while we're paying inflated prices. So why wouldn't other corporate conglomerates jump on that bandwagon? All they need is an excuse for a "shortage". A war, the weather, whatever, and their own greed will take it from there.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We noticed fruit having short seasons at the farmer's market due to the drought and temperature. There have been plenty of tomatoes of high quality so that's not an issue.

As far as pet food goes, prices are up. But if there are serious issues, take some high quality protein, cook it, add veg and vitamins and voila - pet food.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

1. Beer
2. Ketchup
3. Baby formula
4. Sriracha
5. Tampons
6. Popcorn
7. Bread
8. Pet food
9. Turkey
10. Mustard
11. Peaches
12. Halloween candy
13. Champagne
14. Butter

Obviously COVID and panic buying has disrupted many lines here. Most have slowly trickled back to normal. But we had a few natural disasters in a row in my state, severely affecting crops. So fruit and veg supplies suffered for weeks.
Coleslaw of all things is still out of stock near me. With fast food outlets using the supply in lieu of lettuce on some products. A bit random but it is what it is.
I expect supplies to get worse but many of our grocery lines are locally grown, so at least we won’t starve :shrug:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I heard that Russia is running short of tanks.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Obviously COVID and panic buying has disrupted many lines here. Most have slowly trickled back to normal. But we had a few natural disasters in a row in my state, severely affecting crops. So fruit and veg supplies suffered for weeks.
Coleslaw of all things is still out of stock near me. With fast food outlets using the supply in lieu of lettuce on some products. A bit random but it is what it is.
I expect supplies to get worse but many of our grocery lines are locally grown, so at least we won’t starve :shrug:

I would think that a possible beer shortage would have Australians panicking in the streets. ;)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I would think that a possible beer shortage would have Australians panicking in the streets. ;)
Beer shortage?
I’m sorry I’m trying to understand the phrase, but I just can’t wrap my head around it.
Translation issue maybe? Is this like an American thing I’m not aware of? ;):p