• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grimoire's, Bibles, and Science

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Communication, without verbal articulation by another is a more persevering way to secure and convey or instruct. Sacred texts? There's more than just a few I would imagine, given the nature of intent. Scientific texts, field notes by researchers, archeologists, chemists, etc. ... you know ... the documented manner in which an answer was derived from a question for a specific purpose is what they are after all. With that said, why are some texts viewed as being less sacred than any other, even in the event of fictional works written to arouse an emotional response? Type of response or intent maybe? It seems to me all literary works would be considered "sacred" to someone.

Does it come down to popularity? to qualify for the sacred text badge ...

exchemist

Veteran Member
Communication, without verbal articulation by another is a more persevering way to secure and convey or instruct. Sacred texts? There's more than just a few I would imagine, given the nature of intent. Scientific texts, field notes by researchers, archeologists, chemists, etc. ... you know ... the documented manner in which an answer was derived from a question for a specific purpose is what they are after all. With that said, why are some texts viewed as being less sacred than any other, even in the event of fictional works written to arouse an emotional response? Type of response or intent maybe? It seems to me all literary works would be considered "sacred" to someone.

Does it come down to popularity? to qualify for the sacred text badge ...
Surely it is due to religions defining certain texts as sacred, isn't it? The only system of thought that attaches the label "sacred" to things is religious thought.

Nobody treats a historical document, or a science paper, or a novel as sacred, because the relevant systems of thought these texts are designed for don't deal in the idea of sacredness.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I find worthwhile information in a variety of texts. There are many part of the Bible that I enjoy, as well as some of the extra-canonical such as the Gospel of Thomas. The Tao Te Ching was a favorite, as well as a lot of Alan Watts's stuff. Joseph Cambell's Masks of God series (Creative Mythology in particular) was inspirational and I really enjoyed Carl Jung's Man and His Symbols and The Undiscovered Self.

I've found a lot of spiritual inspiration in fiction, such as William Blatty's The Exorcist, Tolkien's The Silmarillion, and short fiction such as my signature below.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I find worthwhile information in a variety of texts. There are many part of the Bible that I enjoy, as well as some of the extra-canonical such as the Gospel of Thomas. The Tao Te Ching was a favorite, as well as a lot of Alan Watts's stuff. Joseph Cambell's Masks of God series (Creative Mythology in particular) was inspirational and I really enjoyed Carl Jung's Man and His Symbols and The Undiscovered Self.

I've found a lot of spiritual inspiration in fiction, such as William Blatty's The Exorcist, Tolkien's The Silmarillion, and short fiction such as my signature below.

I got excited and realized this didn't answer the OP's question...

I think the sacredness of the text comes from either the relationship it has to the individual or the culture. I have a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula that, due to my history with it and emotional attachment, is more sacred than my Bible, despite how other people may view these two books.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
All books to me are probably sacred. I say this cuz if you were to ask me to throw away a book or burn one doesn't matter how damaged the book already was I will cry. Im very attached to books and I dont like seeing them get destroyed. A common punishment my guardians dealt me when i was a kid involved books getting destroyed or taken and to me that's unforgivable.

Books are knowledge books are life. They are everything to me. Thus they are sacred

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
All books to me are probably sacred. I say this cuz if you were to ask me to throw away a book or burn one doesn't matter how damaged the book already was I will cry. Im very attached to books and I dont like seeing them get destroyed. A common punishment my guardians dealt me when i was a kid involved books getting destroyed or taken and to me that's unforgivable.

Books are knowledge books are life. They are everything to me. Thus they are sacred

We're libraries in and of ourselves, and like books, some view us as sacred and others don't. I think it's each individuals collected memories that make us such. Words of expression, and lives lived expressing and experiencing others expressions would seem an appropriate way to convey the thought.

We're in the wilderness, knowing and understanding, yet knowing so little as to seem as if we know nothing of the grand scope of life and the universe itself, or of the affects our actions will have on generations to come. History, how we got to where we are, why we took the journeys, and the method behind traversing future endeavors still like rolling the dice, no matter how much we think we know about the affects themselves.

Sacred?

That's history, that's us, that's the written word, and the library of life.