• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings from LuisDantas

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So what is it that is reborn?

Actions. We all exist on the space created by our own and everyone else's actions, but people and their identities only arise under proper circunstances.

We are reborn through the example and love that we give to others and that bears fruit. Through our works, teachings and deeds. But I find it most strange that there are people who actually believe that specific people somehow "come back" or "go beyond" to some sort of afterlife.

I guess it could happen. I can certainly not prove that it does not. But I assure you that I do not believe in that, even remotely.

Aquitaine

LuisDantas said:
I was raised by my worst enemy. I guess that helped. Sort of.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I've heard you express views regarding how 'blood relation' is practically irrelevant to when it comes to raising someone well. I guess you're talking from experience(?).

Tell me more about that.

I can't really explain it too well, but I guess I always assumed that as an individual's Intelligence rose, their Ego rose with it. Maybe I'm just falling for the "Genius Sociopath" stereotype.

Quite on the contrary. I tend to see lack of ethics as a direct manifestation of stupidity, even.

Ethics does not just thrive on intelligence. It very much relies on it to exist and express itself. Or going by the complementary perspective, intelligence demands ethics when it becomes aware of the matters of human sciences. The level of ethical ability of any specific person is directly limited by his or her intelligence.

That's a pretty good explaination, thanks for taking the time to reply to me. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I've heard you express views regarding how 'blood relation' is practically irrelevant to when it comes to raising someone well. I guess you're talking from experience(?).

And need, yes. Thanks,

I can't really explain it too well, but I guess I always assumed that as an individual's Intelligence rose, their Ego rose with it. Maybe I'm just falling for the "Genius Sociopath" stereotype.

There is this funny thing about Ego: it is vain. And Ethics are a wondrous thing to pursue.

So it is possible to take advantage of Ego to motivate ethics.

That is a good thing, too, IMO. As I said in #56, ethics does need intelligence to even exist.

That's a pretty good explaination, thanks for taking the time to reply to me. :)

You're welcome!

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
You might have been asked this before, but you seem very knowledgeable so are you in education?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You might have been asked this before, but you seem very knowledgeable so are you in education?

Why, I'm flattered.

I work with computers, alas. I worked for about a year and a half for a public education employer, but it was as a computer technician.

Mrpasserby

Do not just Believe 'Become', I am Sufficient.
The Moderation Team, better known as the "Mod Squad", was kind enough to accept me as a member in training. I look forward to being useful in some capacity.

I usually talk a lot about myself through the topics, but just in case, feel free to ask questions here.

I'm an Buddhist of what I consider to be an orthodox attitude, which means that I seek a lot of my own answers and interpretations. I'm Brazilian, 41 years old. I'm also, and have been as far as I remember, a strong atheist, agnostic, and apatheist - meaning that I definitely do not believe that there is any god, but recognize that it is not possible for a human to prove anything on the matter. As an apatheist, I don't think that is a particularly important matter to settle, either.

Religion is and has always been a topic of interest to me. IMO, it is because there is no God that religion is of paramount importance - we ought to look for each other, because no one Above will. I define Religion as the art of dealing with the conflict between the need of making mundane decisions and the desire of being pure and attuned to higher abstract principles. As such, it is not opposed to science, but rather basically oblivious to natural sciences while also partnered and to some extend guided by social and human sciences.

I have a strong personal interest in the exchange of information through internet. Enthusiasm for PHP forums such as this one and for wiki systems such as Wikipedia came naturally for me. I wish I had more time to learn and become fluent with all those interesting matters.
Newbie question I am considering starting a thread, in answering questions, it is sure to come up about self initiation into the world of spirits to go on spirit quests. The self initiation is free but not for everybody how do I get the info. to whoever wants it without posting it to the general audience? Thanks! :)