• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings everyone!

Dingbat

Hello it is good to find this community as it can hopefully help me on my search. To provide a little background I was born and raised Mormon(LDS) and had a rather rigid you with meetings and the like every Sunday. I have always had an eager and questioning mind and incessantly asked my parents all kinds of questions. Thankfully they indulged me and would even admit when they didn't have an answer.

To make a long story short I have fallen away fro my faith due to issues I had with how things were being run and behavior and attitudes I didn't find conducive to my spiritual wellness. So I have been on a journey of sorts trying to figure out if there is a place for me somewhere. I tried some exMormon online groups but most of them were not very helpful and were more obsessed with casting stones at their former religion instead of moving on. I have dabbled in a bit of Zen Buddhism and Tibetan and while I learned some good things about myself I still feel unsatisfied so far. I also picked up a copy of the Tanakh to add to the variety of spiritual study I have been doing of late.

At the end of the day I am open to any faith that thinks they might have answers for me and I look forward to some good discussions. Sorry for making this so long but I figured I should state where i am coming from and maybe someone out there can offer some guidance.:)

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
Welcome Ding! To be a spiritual "searcher" is a mixed blessing. There is a smorgasbord of religions, denominations and faith to choose from. Just don't settle too quickly, at least until you have explored for a while. Many want to convince you that their path is the correct one, but my feeling is that God is not a Christian, Jew, Hindu or a Muslim.

"Every man must do two things on his own; his own believing and his own dying." - Martin Luther

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Welcome! Glad to have you here! I would like to throw this out there, Why do you need a faith? If you want my opinion, most of the answers you want, you can find within yourself. What i mean when i say this is, start thinking about what you do, and why you do it. Start thinking about how you feel, and why you feel that way. Once you start to understand yourself, you will begin to understand other people better.

Also, in my opinion, there are no answers that can be given. You must search for them. Religions and other beliefs may help guide you to your answers, but they shouldn't give them to you. Think for yourself always. Don't let some religion or particular belief set tell you what is true. Figure it out for yourself. Just don't be afraid of input from other people, lol.

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
........................... Religions and other beliefs may help guide you to your answers, but they shouldn't give them to you. Think for yourself always. Don't let some religion or particular belief set tell you what is true. Figure it out for yourself. Just don't be afraid of input from other people, lol.

Very true!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hello it is good to find this community as it can hopefully help me on my search. To provide a little background I was born and raised Mormon(LDS) and had a rather rigid you with meetings and the like every Sunday. I have always had an eager and questioning mind and incessantly asked my parents all kinds of questions. Thankfully they indulged me and would even admit when they didn't have an answer.
Hi, Dingbat! I'm a Mormon who was raised by parents that sound much like yours. I was also encouraged to question and was never made to feel guilty for doubting. Unlike you, I remained in the faith, but am definitely more liberal in my thinking than most LDS people.

To make a long story short I have fallen away fro my faith due to issues I had with how things were being run and behavior and attitudes I didn't find conducive to my spiritual wellness.
Would you mind elaborating on this? You've piqued my interest.

So I have been on a journey of sorts trying to figure out if there is a place for me somewhere. I tried some exMormon online groups but most of them were not very helpful and were more obsessed with casting stones at their former religion instead of moving on. I have dabbled in a bit of Zen Buddhism and Tibetan and while I learned some good things about myself I still feel unsatisfied so far. I also picked up a copy of the Tanakh to add to the variety of spiritual study I have been doing of late.
I'm glad to meet an ex-Mormon who is not also a rabid anti-Mormon. Good luck in your search for a spiritual path.

At the end of the day I am open to any faith that thinks they might have answers for me and I look forward to some good discussions. Sorry for making this so long but I figured I should state where i am coming from and maybe someone out there can offer some guidance.:)
You'll likely find those discussions here on RF. I hope you enjoy yourself here. Welcome!

Dingbat

Welcome Ding! To be a spiritual "searcher" is a mixed blessing. There is a smorgasbord of religions, denominations and faith to choose from. Just don't settle too quickly, at least until you have explored for a while. Many want to convince you that their path is the correct one, but my feeling is that God is not a Christian, Jew, Hindu or a Muslim.

"Every man must do two things on his own; his own believing and his own dying." - Martin Luther
Aye that is what I am finding is that there is a menagerie of faiths and I am in no hurry to jump into any of them. I am intrigued to see what they have to offer and if they fit in any way but if they don't I am fine with that as well.

Welcome! Glad to have you here! I would like to throw this out there, Why do you need a faith? If you want my opinion, most of the answers you want, you can find within yourself. What i mean when i say this is, start thinking about what you do, and why you do it. Start thinking about how you feel, and why you feel that way. Once you start to understand yourself, you will begin to understand other people better.

Also, in my opinion, there are no answers that can be given. You must search for them. Religions and other beliefs may help guide you to your answers, but they shouldn't give them to you. Think for yourself always. Don't let some religion or particular belief set tell you what is true. Figure it out for yourself. Just don't be afraid of input from other people, lol.

I don't need a religion but if I find one that fits all is well. At this point I am just enjoying the study and finding what there is out there.

Thank you all for the greetings and I look forward to interacting with you,:D