• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings/ Ask a Cemiist!

Giomar Vazquez

Poseído por La Luna
Hello everyone!
My name is Giomar, and i am a Cemiist.
Now, i realize many people don't know about this faith, so i'll give a brief description.

Cemiism is a practice reviving the practices of the Taíno people. The Taínos are a group of Native tribal Indians hailing from the greater Antilles in the Caribbean, namely Cuba, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola (Haiti, Dominican Republic), and Jamaica.

However, when Christopher Columbus invaded these islands, despite the Tainos being exceptionally friendly and welcoming, he took advantage and decimated nearly the entire native population (like he did to the Aztecs, Mayans, etc)

Today, Most people of these countries have Taíno blood, but it is mixed with other races as well, like in the three Hispanic Islands (Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic), the populations' blood is a mixture of the natives, blood from Spain, and from the Africans that were brought via the slave trade.

Thus, this movement is highly linked to the revival of a Culture destroyed, and such many of its practitioners are people hailing from these islands or who has relation to them (that's not to say people of other races can't practice it)

Belief wise, it is a Polytheistic religion, believing in many lesser deities and two main deities, Yucahú, who is the creator of the world, and God of Yuca, the main crop of the Taínos, and a food which is really popular where i'm from (it's really yummy ) and, Yucahús' mother Atabey, the mother Goddess, who prevails over flat water surfaces, such as lakes, rivers, and the ocean.

Ancestors are also very important in this faith as well. They are called Huipas, or Cemi. Cemis are also the name of both the Gods, and the object representing a certain God, like an idol.

Some deities also have different manifestations. I don't know many of the manifestations, but i do know the ones of Atabey. They are, Caguana, the spirit of love, and Guabancex (who is my profile picture), the violent face of Atabey, often referred to as a separate Goddess as well, who controls Hurricanes and many of other natural disasters.

Her presence was announced by Guataúba, the God of lighting, thunder, and destruction, and she was entrusted to the maintenance of a mythical land known as Aumatex.

Well, that is all, thank you all for reading, and don't hesitate to ask questions! I'm no Cacique (Taíno word for chief), but i'll try my best to answer your questions!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hello everyone!
Now, i realize many people don't know about this faith, so i'll give a brief description.

Cemiism is a practice reviving the practices of the Taíno people. The Taínos are a group of Native tribal Indians hailing from the greater Antilles in the Caribbean, namely Cuba, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola (Haiti, Dominican Republic), and Jamaica.

However, when Christopher Columbus invaded these islands, despite the Tainos being exceptionally friendly and welcoming, he took advantage and decimated nearly the entire native population (like he did to the Aztecs, Mayans, etc)

Today, Most people of these countries have Taíno blood, but it is mixed with other races as well, like in the three Hispanic Islands (Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic), the populations' blood is a mixture of the natives, blood from Spain, and from the Africans that were brought via the slave trade.

Thus, this movement is highly linked to the revival of a Culture destroyed, and such many of its practitioners are people hailing from these islands or who has relation to them (that's not to say people of other races can't practice it)

Belief wise, it is a Polytheistic religion, believing in many lesser deities and two main deities, Yucahú, who is the creator of the world, and God of Yuca, the main crop of the Taínos, and a food which is really popular where i'm from (it's really yummy ) and, Yucahús' mother Atabey, the mother Goddess, who prevails over flat water surfaces, such as lakes, rivers, and the ocean.

Ancestors are also very important in this faith as well. They are called Huipas, or Cemi. Cemis are also the name of both the Gods, and the object representing a certain God, like an idol.

Some deities also have different manifestations. I don't know many of the manifestations, but i do know the ones of Atabey. They are, Caguana, the spirit of love, and Guabancex (who is my profile picture), the violent face of Atabey, often referred to as a separate Goddess as well, who controls Hurricanes and many of other natural disasters.

Her presence was announced by Guataúba, the God of lighting, thunder, and destruction, and she was entrusted to the maintenance of a mythical land known as Aumatex.

Well, that is all, thank you all for reading, and don't hesitate to ask questions! I'm no Cacique (Taíno word for chief), but i'll try my best to answer your questions!
And there I was, about to greet you as a fellow Chemist........:D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hello everyone!

Is there a revival of sorts? (I sure hope so. It'll give hope for other indigenous groups who faced attempted genocide.)
Do you face persecution still?
Are there centers for group worship, or is mostly just in homes?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's always great to see someone reviving an indigenous religious tradition on the boards. There will definitely be some things to pick your brain about as someone who is a member of a revivalist religious tradition myself. :D

Giomar Vazquez

Poseído por La Luna
Is there a revival of sorts? (I sure hope so. It'll give hope for other indigenous groups who faced attempted genocide.)
Do you face persecution still?
Are there centers for group worship, or is mostly just in homes?

1. Yes, there are some revival groups scattered across the Caribbean aiming to revive native taino ceremonies, practices, and rituals.
2. No, we don't face persecution any more, partly because no "pure bred" taínos still exist. There are definitely those who have strikingly native features, but either deny it, or they are always mixed with Spanish, African, or both.
3. Mainly these tend to be modern day "tribes" who seek to fully embrace the native lifestyle, but overall, there are no churches or temples of sorts we can visit to worship. It is mainly at hoe practice.