• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings and Salutations

Gallowglass

Hello everyone! I’m new here, and it looks interesting. I’m 30-going-on-31, and a practicing Heathen. However, most people who know me in real life outside of a select few think me a good Christian girl. I enjoy talking and debating about religion so I think i’ll enjoy myself here.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Hello everyone! I’m new here, and it looks interesting. I’m 30-going-on-31, and a practicing Heathen. However, most people who know me in real life outside of a select few think me a good Christian girl. I enjoy talking and debating about religion so I think i’ll enjoy myself here.

No courage of your own convictions? At your age, why pretend? :shrug:

Gallowglass

Because where I live, it would be dangerous and I do not have the capability to move. I’m in a very rural area and graduated in a class of 26. Everyone knows everyone, and I’ve seen fights over Christian theology end up with people in hospital, let alone someone saying they’re non-Christian.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Because where I live, it would be dangerous and I do not have the capability to move. I’m in a very rural area and graduated in a class of 26. Everyone knows everyone, and I’ve seen fights over Christian theology end up with people in hospital, let alone someone saying they’re non-Christian.

That was certainly an odd way to welcome somebody. Don't worry; not all of us are like that.

I welcome you, fellow keeper of the old gods. May your time here be instructive and enlightening :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Goodness!...such good Christians where you live! :eek:

I am still wondering at your age, why there is a problem moving somewhere more conducive to your chosen position? You are not a child. Isn't the hypocrisy stifling? I would prefer someone to be genuine about their beliefs rather than putting on a false front.

I didn’t take offense either. I know it sounds strange.

I didn't mean it to be offensive.....I just wondered how a 30 something woman is trapped in a backwoods place having to pretend to be Christian? :shrug: I am trying to imagine myself in that situation. :confused:

When you say you don't have the capability to move, do you mean physically or circumstantially? Sorry to be nosy but I am curious.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
One year my school had a graduating class of 4, but it was not rural just pathetic! I moved on fortunately but unfortunately not soon enough.

Gallowglass

Goodness!...such good Christians where you live! :eek:

I am still wondering at your age, why there is a problem moving somewhere more conducive to your chosen position? You are not a child. Isn't the hypocrisy stifling? I would prefer someone to be genuine about their beliefs rather than putting on a false front.

I didn't mean it to be offensive.....I just wondered how a 30 something woman is trapped in a backwoods place having to pretend to be Christian? :shrug: I am trying to imagine myself in that situation. :confused:

When you say you don't have the capability to move, do you mean physically or circumstantially? Sorry to be nosy but I am curious.

It's hardly unusual really. It wasn't all that long ago when Catholics and Protestants used to get into giant fights rather than eat with each other, or Methodists and Presbyterians had to live on separate sides of towns. Even books like the Anne of Green Gables series showcase the divides as cultural, though without the violence.

As far as the hypocrisy, it can be stifling sometimes, but by and large it is not "active," hypocrisy, if that makes sense. I live my life by the ethics and morals I hold dear and people see those actions and ascribe them to Christianity, because Christianity is the default. It would be nice to be honest about my beliefs, but like I said, it's not realistic in my town. Sometimes I get to spend a day with some of the Amish who still hold the Old Ways through Urglaawe and it makes it a little easier, because if they can do it under everyone's noses inside the Amish, I should be fine.

And I mean physically leading into circumstantially unable to move. I have a minor form of cerebral palsy that affects my legs, reaction time, and motor skills which is quite limiting when one considers an already limited job market in rural America, especially when it means I can't drive. I end up spending most of my days working in the garden, and with the chickens, while sending out hundreds of resumes to jobs I think I can do.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Greetings and salutations back atcha! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Jumi

Some of us really don't like to bother with this outside of RF. I have people who think I'm atheist or think I'm Christian, I let them think what they want since it doesn't affect our relations with each other in anyway.

Gallowglass

Welcome! :) Hope you find something palatable and helpful here.
Norse gods. Very interesting transition.

It’s not really a transition. My family was quietly agnostic until I started talking about gods in the plural as a kid and then they shushed me, told me not to talk like that and took me to church after another kid hit me with a VeggieTales tape in the mouth.

WalterTrull

Godfella
It’s not really a transition. My family was quietly agnostic until I started talking about gods in the plural as a kid and then they shushed me, told me not to talk like that and took me to church after another kid hit me with a VeggieTales tape in the mouth.
Yipes! I can find nothing to say other than I'm so sorry, but that doesn't seem to hack it. You're certainly welcome here.