• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greek Paganism now legally recognised in Greece!!

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Worship of the Greek gods has for the first time been legally recognised by the Ministry of Education and Religious Matters as a 'known religion'. Apparently this is literally all that is required for a faith group to be granted full legal rights & protections.

This recognition has come with the bonus of being granted permission to construct a place of worship in Athens. Hopefully Athena will soon be worshipped publicly in her city for the first time in two millennia! Religions in Greece other than the Greek Orthodox Church, even legally recognised ones, face an uphill battle to actually enjoy the rights granted to them - Athenian Muslims, for instance, have been campaigning for over a decade to build a mosque and have met with nothing but failure. That said, this is a momentous step. Hellenic Pagans have been organising and campaigning for twenty years or more to get this recognition. This is definitely a victory to celebrate!

Link

sovietchild

Worship of the Greek gods has for the first time been legally recognised by the Ministry of Education and Religious Matters as a 'known religion'. Apparently this is literally all that is required for a faith group to be granted full legal rights & protections.

This recognition has come with the bonus of being granted permission to construct a place of worship in Athens. Hopefully Athena will soon be worshipped publicly in her city for the first time in two millennia! Religions in Greece other than the Greek Orthodox Church, even legally recognised ones, face an uphill battle to actually enjoy the rights granted to them - Athenian Muslims, for instance, have been campaigning for over a decade to build a mosque and have met with nothing but failure. That said, this is a momentous step. Hellenic Pagans have been organising and campaigning for twenty years or more to get this recognition. This is definitely a victory to celebrate!

Link

How exactly can Athena help one? If there are multiple gods, then would they be like clubs in a league? If so, who are the creators of those clubs? And, who is the president of the league?

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student

Link

I am always happy to see freedom of ideas being practiced.

How exactly can Athena help one? If there are multiple gods, then would they be like clubs in a league? If so, who are the creators of those clubs? And, who is the president of the league?

I don't think it matters if Athena is real or not in this situation. But to try to address your question: A human can help a human despite their being multiple humans, how is that any different than gods?

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
I thought he said "Hopefully Athena will soon be worshipped publicly in her city"

I think Athens was named after Athena, though given that she was a newer edition to the pantheon it could be the other way around. I do not know for sure.

In either case, she was considered to be the patron deity of the city.

sovietchild

I don't think it matters if Athena is real or not in this situation. But to try to address your question: A human can help a human despite their being multiple humans, how is that any different than gods?

Okay, so, if Athena is imaginary god, then what is wrong with those people who worship imaginary gods? If Athena is real then how exactly can Athena help one? If there are multiple gods, then would they be like clubs in a league? If so, who are the creators of those clubs? And, who is the president of the league?

David T

Premium Member

Link
Go pan!!!! Oh wait he died ok go pluto!!! I mean plato,,,, oh never mind!!!

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Okay, so, if Athena is imaginary god, then what is wrong with those people who worship imaginary gods? If Athena is real then how exactly can Athena help one? If there are multiple gods, then would they be like clubs in a league? If so, who are the creators of those clubs? And, who is the president of the league?

I think you misunderstood what I meant by me stating that I don't think it matters in this situation. I was trying to convey that wether Athena is real or not we should be happy that she is allowed to be worshipped.

And I already addressed the rest of this. A human can help other humans on their own. Why would a goddess be any different?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Well not only that, but soviet is quite prone to making threads titled "what is wrong with these people who..." You'll see them at some point or another.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

When you have a family gathering, you have the parents or parent, immediate family, extended family, help cooking and bringing the food. Family taking care of the little ones. Elders are respected (more than one elder) as in some families our ancestors. One happy family.

The one day a group of christians or muslims knock on the family door practically knocking it down. They seize the family saying that they shouldnt be working together but only have one boss over everyone and all the rest submit to the boss.

Life doesnt work that way. Everything takes care of another in multiples. One god signals politics and authority. Multiple gods signal family and connection.

It is beautiful to read finally a Pagan goddesses can now be publically and religiously worshiped without being arrested.

I assume they dont help people who dont ask for their help. In my opinion, your god is not different in respect to being a deity only than any other. But Paganism has a lot more respect than one-god faiths.

Takes out the ego of one authority and makes it a working unity taking care of all. Creators arent needed.

Something you just have to accept and move on or learn from. Outside of that, accept that you wont understand and let it be.