• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greek gods not so original

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
It appears that greek deities weren't actually so original. They're person was inspired from the trac deities which are far older. Zeus is very similar to Gebeleizis, supreme god of the tracs. Artemis is very similar to Bendis and Dyonisus is very similar to the wine and party god of the tracs.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Lady Crimson said:
It appears that greek deities weren't actually so original. They're person was inspired from the trac deities which are far older. Zeus is very similar to Gebeleizis, supreme god of the tracs. Artemis is very similar to Bendis and Dyonisus is very similar to the wine and party god of the tracs.
Lady Crimson,

For the benefit of others here (who don't speak Romanian), I thought I'd best clarify that the people you are referring to as 'Trac' in this thread are called 'Thracians' in English, just as the 'Daci' are 'Dacians' and the 'Geti' are 'Geats'.
I can't really offer much of an opinion on whether the Ancient Greeks influenced Thracian/Dacian religion or the other way around but given the close proximity of the two cultures either one (or both) is quite possible.

James

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
thanks for clarifying, James. I couldn't find the names in the dictionary so I just went with the romanian version

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Be it Greek or Judeo-Christian, deities, like language, are adopted and adapted by the culture(s) that embrace them.

capthowdy

Astarot
I don't claim to know much about Greek mythology, but it was my understanding that the Gods and Goddesses didn't so much serve for religious purposes, but were used to explain natural phenomenon, changes in seasons and what not.....but like I said I don't know much about it. So it probably wouldn't be that far of a stretch to say the greek dieties were inspired from elsewhere, it wouldn't be the first time.

Fluffy

A fool
I was under the impression that Dyonisus, as fully acknowledged by the Greeks, was actually an adopted Eastern God and his deviate behaviour was explained in that he was a foreigner.

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
To fluffy: yes, an Eastern God. The thracians were from Eastern Europe and yes, I believe it was told (in some versions) that he came from Valahia (the land of the thracians). But I do not know for sure

To capthowdy: I do not know for sure but I doubt it. They're deities were very much idolised.

Be it Greek or Judeo-Christian, deities, like language, are adopted and adapted by the culture(s) that embrace them.
To Deut: I do not understand this sentence, I am ashamed to say it. Can you ask again in more laitam's (didn't spel. that right) terms.

capthowdy

Astarot
I knew they were idolized, I was thinking maybe not for religious reasons.....but once again I'm not sure so prehaps I'm wrong.

Fluffy

A fool
To fluffy: yes, an Eastern God. The thracians were from Eastern Europe and yes, I believe it was told (in some versions) that he came from Valahia (the land of the thracians). But I do not know for sure
lol thanks for that. It seems it was my knowledge of ancient geography that was at fault :).