• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greece in Europe?

syo

Greece is middle-east.

Why people think Greece is european? Why put it in Europe?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
europe-map.gif

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Greece is middle-east.

If I remember correctly, you live in Greece.

I'm curious as to why you feel Greece better fits the Middle East as opposed to Europe.

syo

If I remember correctly, you live in Greece.

I'm curious as to why you feel Greece better fits the Middle East as opposed to Europe.
Greeks have the mentallity of middle easterns. They have nothing in common with europeans. Even their dna is different than europeans. The most closely to greeks are the egyptians. Europe is alien to greeks.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Europe as a whole is a conceptual continent, so geography, while relevant, is not the only feature here.

The Greeks speak a European language; have Gods derived ultimately from Indo-European beliefs; have been seen as foreign invaders by historic Middle Easterners and had a culture, worldview and religion very different to their Middle Eastern counterparts. The main issue at play here is that the Greek Orthodox Church is Chalcedonian, as were all the European Orthodox Churches historically, unlike their Middle Eastern brethren, many of whom remained non-Chalcedonian, thus splitting the Church effectively between Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian creedal Churches. This created a handy shorthand, whereby we refer to the NC Church as 'Oriental' i.e., the East from a Roman POV, and the Chalcedonian Orthodox Church 'Eastern Orthodox' i.e., Eastern from a Western European POV (that is, Eastern Europe).

That alongside the fact that the Muslims quickly conquered most of these Middle Eastern spheres, effectively cutting Europe from them, although this had already been happening under the gradual decline and fall of the Western Roman Empire, Europe ultimately came to be those countries that were Christian or within a strong Christian orbit (e.g, Lithuania) and were not really affected by Muslim conquests (Spain being a separate case).

Effectively, Greece is European because it's part of historic Chalcedonian Christendom and has had huge influence throughout the rest of Europe.

The genetics of Greeks and Italians is, however, Mediterranean and closer to Middle Easterners than anyone from Northern and Central Europe, but this doesn't matter because Europe is a concept not a landmass.

Last edited:

syo

Europe as a whole is a conceptual continent, so geography, while relevant, is not the only feature here.

The Greeks speak a European language; have Gods derived ultimately from Indo-European beliefs; have been seen as foreign invaders by historic Middle Easterners and had a culture, worldview and religion very different to their Middle Eastern counterparts. The main issue at play here is that the Greek Orthodox Church is Chalcedonian, as were all the European Orthodox Churches historically, unlike their Middle Eastern brethren, many of whom remained non-Chalcedonian, thus splitting the Church effectively between Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian creedal Churches. This created a handy shorthand, whereby we refer to the NC Church as 'Oriental' i.e., the East from a Roman POV, and the Chalcedonian Orthodox Church 'Eastern Orthodox' i.e., Eastern from a Western European POV (that is, Eastern Europe).

That alongside the fact that the Muslims quickly conquered most of these Middle Eastern spheres, effectively cutting Europe from them, although this had already been happening under the gradual decline and fall of the Western Roman Empire, Europe ultimately came to be those countries that were Christian or within a strong Christian orbit (i.e., Lithuania) and were not really affected by Muslim conquests (Spain being a separate case).

Effectively, Greece is European because it's part of historic Chalcedonian Christendom and has had huge influence throughout the rest of Europe.

The genetics of Greeks and Italians is, however, Mediterranean and closer to Middle Easterners than anyone from Northern and Central Europe, but this doesn't matter because Europe is a concept not a landmass.
Call it what you want, Greeks are middle-easterners.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Call it what you want, Greeks are middle-easterners.
Also, are you going to actually answer any objections or are you just in

GREEKS ARE MIDDLE EASTERNERS GET OVER IT

mode?

What is the point of asking if you won't accept any answers?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Greece is middle-east.

Geography.
Greeks have the mentallity of middle easterns. They have nothing in common with europeans. Even their dna is different than europeans. The most closely to greeks are the egyptians. Europe is alien to greeks.
The thread title doesn't mention Greeks, it says "Greece." Greece is a place. Greeks are a people. Apples and oranges.

Regardless of who lives there, the territory of Greece lies within the Region geographers and cartographers have agreed to call Europe.

The culture, sociology, and psychology of the people inhabiting the region do not affect it's geographical designation.