• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest genetic diversity came out of Africa

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
One of the most significant things about genetic diversity is that it provides barriers to pandemics. If you study it, diseases are traditionally the main killers of humans (and other animals). Predators and most other causes don't even come close.

Genetic diversity often translates into diverse immune systems. In a genetically diverse population, a single disease has a harder time killing everyone than in a genetically same population.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The discussion begins at 13:58 but I thought it was very poignant for Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson to mention regarding genetic diversity. In this part of the video he discusses "European explorers" in their classification of Africa as being black looking at skin pigmentation but missed the other intriguing factors such as genetic diversity. He further mentions that looking at human traits and understanding that all humans come from Africa you would see the most diversified human traits in Africa. For example he mentions the shortest group of people you'd find in Africa (there was a mention of the pygmies). He also mentioned that you'll find the tallest, and maybe even the slowest and yes, even the smartest among the people of Africa. I thought this was an interesting perspective coming from this scientist. I have read a few articles regarding biases even within the scientific community so its nice to see a scientist speak on this. You can see the video here:

The people of Africa have a great diversity of physical characteristics. Skin color/tone being almost insignificant.

My DNA shows West African but there is a huge Middle Eastern gap in my DNA. So I assume an ethnic group migrated out of Africa to eventually populate western europe. Just not quite sure how they got there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeas, so we're genetically diverse out of Africa, big deal. You're still who you are.
I sense something more in the air.....a sin perhaps....pride....(but not for all)?
But as one whose lineage traces back to an African savannah, I've no worries.

Btw, I'm ready to go back to the trees if necessary.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I sense something more in the air.....a sin perhaps....pride....(but not for all)?
But as one whose lineage traces back to an African savannah, I've no worries.

Btw, I'm ready to go back to the trees if necessary.

Being of Irish descent, trees would be an upgrade...