• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest genetic diversity came out of Africa

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The discussion begins at 13:58 but I thought it was very poignant for Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson to mention regarding genetic diversity. In this part of the video he discusses "European explorers" in their classification of Africa as being black looking at skin pigmentation but missed the other intriguing factors such as genetic diversity. He further mentions that looking at human traits and understanding that all humans come from Africa you would see the most diversified human traits in Africa. For example he mentions the shortest group of people you'd find in Africa (there was a mention of the pygmies). He also mentioned that you'll find the tallest, and maybe even the slowest and yes, even the smartest among the people of Africa. I thought this was an interesting perspective coming from this scientist. I have read a few articles regarding biases even within the scientific community so its nice to see a scientist speak on this. You can see the video here:

Curious George

Veteran Member
The discussion begins at 13:58 but I thought it was very poignant for Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson to mention regarding genetic diversity. In this part of the video he discusses "European explorers" in their classification of Africa as being black looking at skin pigmentation but missed the other intriguing factors such as genetic diversity. He further mentions that looking at human traits and understanding that all humans come from Africa you would see the most diversified human traits in Africa. For example he mentions the shortest group of people you'd find in Africa (there was a mention of the pygmies). He also mentioned that you'll find the tallest, and maybe even the slowest and yes, even the smartest among the people of Africa. I thought this was an interesting perspective coming from this scientist. I have read a few articles regarding biases even within the scientific community so its nice to see a scientist speak on this. You can see the video here:

Absolutely, our ancestors' tales are remarkable. I am a little surprised to see it posted here as this is pretty mainstream stuff. Unfortunately, many do not ecen know mainstream our mainstream history, so it is good to see it posted.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
No. African American is a particular group of people with recent ancestry from Africa. But yes, we are all from Africa if you go back far enough.

It is not yet certain where the first humans came from, but they almost certainly migrated through or from Africa., to the rest of the world.

Curious George

Veteran Member
It is not yet certain where the first humans came from, but they almost certainly migrated through or from Africa., to the rest of the world.
Is anuthing ever certain?

Out of Africa is not much contested anymore. Perhaps that will change in the next 40 years, but for now it works.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Absolutely, our ancestors' tales are remarkable. I am a little surprised to see it posted here as this is pretty mainstream stuff. Unfortunately, many do not ecen know mainstream our mainstream history, so it is good to see it posted.

Well because the point was more scientifically based.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

I once heard an argument long ago by a geneticist that you cannot get black from white but you can get white from black. Meaning the genetic markers that gives the human being ability to lighten their complexion based on the environment had to derive from a specific group of early human ancestors perhaps beginning with the homo erectus.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I once heard an argument long ago by a geneticist that you cannot get black from white but you can get white from black. Meaning the genetic markers that gives the human being ability to lighten their complexion based on the environment had to derive from a specific group of early human ancestors perhaps beginning with the homo erectus.

The early European hunter gatherers had very dark skin and blue eyes.
Skin colour evolves in both directions.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The genetic diversity in Africa has been proven and should be acknowledged.

The one thing Africans don't have is Neanderthal blood. If I were pure African and in a snarky mood, I could argue that meant that full-blooded Africans are superior to other races who have DNA from less developed humans. ;)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't know his point.
But I say that we who originated in Africa might find
some pride or at least interest in our diversity.
Except for Scots....we're a backsliding lot.
A Scotsman developed Golden Retrievers proving that not all are backsliding. At least one deserves accolades.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A Scotsman developed Golden Retrievers proving that not all are backsliding. At least one deserves accolades.
Golden retrievers....compare them to their wolf ancestors.
Like us Scots, your breed is good for eating prepared food
off the floor, & not much else.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It only stands to reason that Africa is the most genetically diverse continent.
If my high school science serves me, our species has been around for ~250,000 years. Fully 2/3 of that was entirely in Africa, spreading out is a comparatively recent development. And all non-Africans are the decendents of the relatively small number who migrated off the continent.
So the peoples of Africa have about a 180,000 year head start on adapting to different environments and conditions. Of course their genetic diversity reflects that.
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Golden retrievers....compare them to their wolf ancestors.
Like us Scots, your breed is good for eating prepared food
off the floor, & not much else.
Now that is a racist insult of the first order. But what can one expect from a heathen. That you are totally wrong it clear to one and all who pay attention,

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now that is a racist insult of the first order. But what can one expect from a heathen. That you are totally wrong it clear to one and all who pay attention,

OK....I watched a couple minutes.
The video listed things which both golden retrievers & Scots do.
Sure, sure, some are cool, eg, eating & passing light bulbs.
But value in such tricks?
Nah!
Face it....you're about as useful as I am.